Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I am the second owner of a 2002 PT Cruiser. The orginal bought a warranty that had unlimited time, but fails at 64,000. It is still under warranty at 54,000 original miles.

I took our car in for diagnostics when the AC had trouble. Turns out the PCM is dying. My warranty is for the ECM. Are they different part numbers? Can my shop bill for ECM when the computer diagnostics say in error PCM if they are a combined part? Other parts are small but also need to replace the pressure control system and clutch coil connect.

Could use some advice, if I do it myself then I lose all access to warranty.

Thanks,
Suz

·
Super Moderator
37,234 Posts
PCM and ECM are both acronyms for the engine computer.

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
The 2002 PT calls the engine controller a PCM (powertrain control module) in the service publications. The aftermarket likes to call them ECMs.
Additionally, the TCM (transaxle control module) is a separate module from the engine controller.

·
Registered
160 Posts
ECM usually means stand alone engine computer (with a manual transaxle or a separate automatic trans computer).
PCM usually is an assembly in which the engine and trans computers are integrated into one assembly.

Acronyms change between manufacturers, but the idea is still the same. If the PCM is dying, it can be referred to as a PCM, ECM, DME, or other acronyms depending on whom you talk to. They all mean the same component.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts