Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
15,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the video:

We've seen the new electric Jeep Recon by now, but is that ultimately going to REPLACE the good old Wrangler? Here's the answer from Jeep brand head Jim Morrison!

Full video here:

Reactions: HotCarNut

·
Registered
897 Posts
After seeing some of the stupid things done by all of the recent Lords of my favorite company I no longer rule out anything lol

Reactions: fargo72

·
Registered
345 Posts
I do think in 15 years it might happen but not until then...
We all know Jeep and Wranglers and CJ's before it have continually evolved over the decades, I don't see that ever stopping as too many people love the freedom that Jeep has provided us over the decades. I do see the Wrangler evolving into Full EV in the near future. But in 15 years I really will not care anymore LOL !!! Who knows what the future will provide us. Me I will just take it in stride and be a Grumpy Old Marine !!!

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
40,234 Posts
In another thread I had the thought that Wrangler would keep solid axles forever and Recon would go independent suspension to counter the Bronco. That makes more sense especially since Recon is larger than Wrangler.

·
Registered
359 Posts
At around 8min in Jim is asked about the eco diesel and the Gladiator and his reply was he can answer that question in a couple of days.

Also in the 4xe video he said all Jeeps will have some sort of electrification by 2025. I take that to mean some sort of hybrid or full BEV for each model. What missing from that is the Gladiator, Wagoneer, and US versions of the compass and Renegade. So maybe more info will be dropping before this Detroit auto show is over

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
In another thread I had the thought that Wrangler would keep solid axles forever and Recon would go independent suspension to counter the Bronco. That makes more sense especially since Recon is larger than Wrangler.
Interesting stuff going on at Dana and other suppliers in developing integrated solid axel traction motors. In a few years, i bet we will see dual-motor (for torque vectoring) solid axels light enough that the on road penalty for unsprung mass is minimal*.

*I seem to recall that it’s not necessarily the unstrung mass itself, but the ratio of sprung to us sprung mass that creates the greatest headache, but it’s been ages since dad and I had that conversation so maybe I’m remembering it all wrong.

·
Super Moderator
40,826 Posts
At around 8min in Jim is asked about the eco diesel and the Gladiator and his reply was he can answer that question in a couple of days.

Also in the 4xe video he said all Jeeps will have some sort of electrification by 2025. I take that to mean some sort of hybrid or full BEV for each model. What missing from that is the Gladiator, Wagoneer, and US versions of the compass and Renegade. So maybe more info will be dropping before this Detroit auto show is over
This teaser Gladiator 4xe image is almost a year old. Back then they said 2024.
Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Reactions: Erik Latranyi

·
Registered
2011 Challenger R/T Classic
1,128 Posts
I still am curious which ICE they would pair with a Gladiator 4xe electric system. The 2.0 is out. The EcoD is out. That leaves the 3.6 or an all new engine, and to me neither of those seem likely. I'll believe a Gladiator 4xe exists when they are on dealer lots.

Reactions: 12soldier

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler, 2018 Ram 2500
300 Posts

They announced the Wagoneer 4xe on 4xe day. He said it would have 500 miles of range. I assume it is a PHEV.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
I knew about this plan for quite some time. It's old, AFAIK older than STLA.

But what I can't get is a choice to go with a BEV only model while platform is multienergy.

·
Super Moderator
40,826 Posts
I knew about this plan for quite some time. It's old, AFAIK older than STLA.

But what I can't get is a choice to go with a BEV only model while platform is multienergy.
Product is what counts. If these plans were that old, why no public movement on them until now?

·
Registered
15,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like TFL, but when I saw this video title I cringed because its pure clickbait. Shame on them.
Actually, do not blame TFL so much. It was the #1 question upon the reveal of the Recon (will it replace Wrangler). Asking JIm Morrison directly cleared that up.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts