Allpar Forums banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
They will build what sells..
when the ev is selling better becase of better performance, economy etc itll replce tha wrangler more or less.
Ev tech could make an truly outstanding offroader with individual wheel speed control, torque vectoring, skidsteer etc.
- Dont be afraid of the future, next gen will be better.
Im pretty sure that the ev would be a range extender one wich needs about a 50 hp engine to keep things running.

Reactions: somber

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
40,227 Posts
But what I can't get is a choice to go with a BEV only model while platform is multienergy.
Because if you don't plan a gasoline version, you can get a lot more spatial efficiency. Same as if you're making a Fiat 500 and you don't plan a V8 version.

·
Registered
2011 Challenger R/T Classic
1,128 Posts
They will build what sells..

If that were the case we wouldn't be losing Challenger for 2024. We wouldn't be losing the #1 selling 1/2 ton diesel. We wouldn't be losing the #1 selling engine option overall in Ram 1500 which is the #2 selling pickup in the land. No, in fact if Stellantis had decided that they were going to stick to building what sells well we'd all be happy. Instead, we're going to be force-fed these ultra-expensive BEVs with limited range, limited charge stations, and zero money savings in the real world so they can portray a certain image to a certain sub-set of the culture.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If that were the case we wouldn't be losing Challenger for 2024. We wouldn't be losing the #1 selling 1/2 ton diesel. We wouldn't be losing the #1 selling engine option overall in Ram 1500 which is the #2 selling pickup in the land. No, in fact if Stellantis had decided that they were going to stick to building what sells well we'd all be happy. Instead, we're going to be force-fed these ultra-expensive BEVs with limited range, limited charge stations, and zero money savings in the real world.
Im sorry if I missed this, but where was there an announcement that Challenger was not being replaced with an electrified model?

As far as I remember, both Charger and Challenger stop production of current body together but that doesn't mean theyre not coming back as EVs. In fact, I would expect we will see both of them return with heritage design given how well they have sold

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Because if you don't plan a gasoline version, you can get a lot more spatial efficiency. Same as if you're making a Fiat 500 and you don't plan a V8 version.
Actually not. If platform is a multienergy one. Actually you have two subversions.

What they want to do is to be cheap. Cheaper production with less complexity.

·
Administrator
40,227 Posts
Actually not. If platform is a multienergy one. Actually you have two subversions.

What they want to do is to be cheap. Cheaper production with less complexity.
I disagree with you, and I think that the whole question of STLA Large is hazy enough that assumptions are not wise.

Even if the platform is OK the body is not. Optimizing for one purpose sometimes means rejecting another.

I still believe there will be an LB Challenger with traditional powerplants. It will be made by STLA and will be Large. Will it be STLA Large? I don't know. There is no confirmation that Grand Cherokee is STLA Large. Even the definitions of “platform” have become pretty unclear.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
California has already dictated everything will have to be fully electric. So it's not a debate. Everything becomes BEV. Even Wrangler. Just a matter of time. I like the idea of it sitting at the top, full solid axles. But then others like Recon below it and almost as capable. Best of both worlds. Multiple choices of off roaders. Not that long ago we were talking about Wrangler and a bunch of crappy alternatives. Exciting times ahead!

·
Administrator
40,227 Posts
California has already dictated everything will have to be fully electric. So it's not a debate. Everything becomes BEV. Even Wrangler.
In 2035. Which doesn't mean the rest of the country will follow. But yes, I think BEV design methods will increase the number of options for car bodies and designs.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
California has already dictated everything will have to be fully electric. So it's not a debate. Everything becomes BEV. Even Wrangler. Just a matter of time. I like the idea of it sitting at the top, full solid axles. But then others like Recon below it and almost as capable. Best of both worlds. Multiple choices of off roaders. Not that long ago we were talking about Wrangler and a bunch of crappy alternatives. Exciting times ahead!
Exactly! Don’t know how capable Recon will be, but at least they are pointing in the right direction. Looking forward to see how they progress, but I fully expect the next 50 years the automotive sector will be unrecognizable. Of course by 2072 I will be dead, but hey!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
In 2035. Which doesn't mean the rest of the country will follow. But yes, I think BEV design methods will increase the number of options for car bodies and designs.
Multiple states will follow. Which will mean a significant number of states (and US population) will adopt the mandate by 2035. Auto companies won't want to make two versions of every car for cost reasons, so my prediction is they will all convert to 100% BEV. Almost doesn't matter what the other states do. Regulation from some will produce market forces that will drive full adoption of electric.

Reactions: gforce2002

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
2,586 Posts
Multiple states will follow. Which will mean a significant number of states (and US population) will adopt the mandate by 2035. Auto companies won't want to make two versions of every car for cost reasons, so my prediction is they will all convert to 100% BEV. Almost doesn't matter what the other states do. Regulation from some will produce market forces that will drive full adoption of electric.
Yes, certain states will follow. The mandate will be very relevant if some states are unwilling to upgrade their grid, especially ones that have continued rolling brown outs and tell people to not charge their EV's. Cough Cough California.

·
Administrator
40,227 Posts
California actually did very well in this last heat wave. Their addition of huge batteries apparently saved them from having any brownouts or blackouts.

My own state’s utility invested heavily in reliability, after the state refused to allow an Exelon buyout, and as a result we rarely have blackouts—and when we do, they’re fixed with great speed.

Crypto mining seems to have a much bigger impact than BEVs on electric power use.

·
Administrator
40,227 Posts
Which hopefully will start dying off with currencies moving to Proof of Stake. Ethereum already has and it seemed to have already started a major disruption in the crypto-mining for profit community
Yup, and bitcoin mining is starting to become less profitable. Unfortunately we still have Musk pushing Dogecoin (because he's such an environmentalist, right?) and a billion others.

Basically BEVs won't add all that much to our current grid issues. As a society, our march towards “rugged individualism” has resulted in devastation to shared resources such as roads, rails, and power lines, and runs contrary to the way this country actually developed.

·
Registered
603 Posts
So he said we will hear if the EcoD is dropped in a few days. Did that announcement happen yet? Is the 4xe hitting the gladiator or maybe the inline 6? I love my EcoD, but hate searching for parts and appropriate oil to change with. I would trade for an inline 6 or 4xe that has more range (50+) if they did it.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts