Allpar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
willy said:
The poor Dakota mileage was the problem; a smaller, lighter truck like the Dakota should have gotten much better fuel mileage than it did. I'm sure the Ford Ranger got a lot more than 1-2 mpg better than the F-150, in fact later today I'll go check the mileage on those two vehicles.
I'd love a 2004 Dakota with a 3.6L V6

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
In some cases, buying the Dakota because it was smaller was a valid option. Maybe a Ram 1500 didn't fit in the garage. Just because something is bigger doesn't automatically make it the better buy.
That's why I like the Dakota. It was easier to deal with on a day to day basis, and it fit in our garage, and worked with our unusual driveway.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Stomper said:
I had a 2000 Quad Cab 4.7L that was perfect for me. Fit the girlfriend and the dogs inside, bed was just right for camping equipment or CostCo/Home Depot purchases. Married the girl, traded in the truck so she could get a Tacoma. Got divorced. Really should have kept that truck.
Yeah, that generation of Dakota was perfect.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
srtviperam said:
A new report brings grim tidings for midsize pickup fans: Ram doesn’t have any immediate plans to field a successor to the Dakota.

As recently as last summer, Chrysler had suggested that it might seek to lure in younger buyers with an inexpensive, fuel-efficient small pickup marketed under its Ram truck division. The automaker was rumored to be considering a unibody platform as the basis for the new truck.

However, Ram CEO Reid Bigland revealed in a recent interview with Car and Driver that the brand isn’t currently moving to develop a smaller sibling for the Ram 1500.

Though he voiced praise for the “theory” behind mid-size pickups, Bigland stated that the business case for developing a modern example with significantly better mileage than today’s increasingly fuel-thrifty full-size trucks simply doesn’t add up, especially factoring in the necessity of a base price below $22,000.

In the course of the wide-ranging interview, Bigland also touched on several new details pertaining to Ram’s upcoming ProMaster City compact van. Because the brand is currently focusing on several critical product launches – including its full-size ProMaster Van, its HD pickups and the Ram 1500 diesel – the ProMaster City won’t arrive in dealerships for another 18-24 months.

When it does finally make it to these shores, the Fiat Doblo-based van will be offered as a passenger hauler in addition to the previously-announced commercial model – which makes good sense, as all ProMaster City be imported to the U.S. with rear seats to avoid being hit with the “chicken tax.”
[background=transparent]Read more at http://www.leftlanenews.com/new-midsize-pickup-not-in-rams-plans.html#6zfrZRjATPKBD7U7.99[/background]
People that want a small/medium pickup truck are not interested in the $22k Ram. Of course there will be price overlap, but for $22k in a Ram you are getting a base 2wd regular cab truck I assume, and that's not useful or appealing to me at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.