Allpar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's all on price point. There has to be a noticible difference between the smaller trucks and the full size. I would love to drive a smaller truck, but by the time you choose the options, drivetrain, cab style, etc., it would cost about as much as a full size truck with similar options. For myself, I would like a Tacoma sized truck, so let's use that as a comparison. For a Tacoma 4x4 extended cab with a 4cyl. you're already pushing 25-26k (if you're lucky). That's without any options like a tow package, sound system, or whatever else. You could get a full sized truck for about that with incentives and possibly a couple options that people really don't need. For a small truck to truly be competitive, the starting price would have to be at least 3-5k less than the starting price of a full sized truck. Don't try to make the truck as capable as a full sized one. Top engine would be the 3.6 Pentastar and offer a smaller diesel engine as well. I really think a Ram tweaked Fiat Strada would be a perfect intro truck. Many younger buyers I believe would like the capability and versatility. If one were to come out on the market, I'd be in the running for one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dakota lost its direction. By the end, it was another Ram. Fuel economy, capability (for the 1500 Rams), and price were little different from the full sized trucks. So, why would people want to spend the exact same amount of money for a smaller framed truck? As I drive around the back roads here, yes I see full sized trucks and heavy duty trucks on farms, but what do I see in non-farm households? I see Rangers, S-10s, Colorados, Tacomas, etc. Aside from the people who actually use full sized trucks for hauling and work, they've become a status symbol. There is a market out there for smaller trucks with less capability and better fuel economy. I wish the big wigs would see this. While the new diesel in the Ram 1500 is a good start, focus on bringing back a true small pickup.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So, the world is snatching up small/mid sized trucks like nothing else, and they're concerned that there is no market in the U.S.? Like I said before, the majority of the full sized trucks out there are status symbols now and only used on occasion to haul or tow. Most family work trucks again I see are compact/mid sized trucks. Why the Big 3 are hesitant I'll never know. The Big 3 faithful have no other choice but to buy full sized trucks (aside from the Colorado, and even then they're priced the same as the full sized trucks). That's why they're selling so well. Build a less capable smaller truck with better fuel economy and at a cheaper price point and watch them fly off the lots.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.