Allpar Forums banner

Is the NY Brougham a good Imperial substitute?

6376 Views 98 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Adventurer55
Been shopping for an Imperial in the '69-'75 range. They are pretty scarce!

So I've been browsing '76-'78 New Yorker Broughams. There's way more choice in those.

They have the Imperial body and style, although I know some things were thrifted out, like rear disk brakes. And those cars get into the Lean Burn era, and I've heard bad things about that system.

I'm wondering--do these cars really deliver the Imperial-level experience? And is the Lean Burn thing really that bad? Is it reasonably possible to repair or replace if so?

I'm browsing a lot of these cars, but I'm taken with the color on this one:

1976 Chrysler New Yorker For Sale - Gateway Classic Cars

Any advice would be appreciated!
61 - 80 of 99 Posts

· Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,818 Posts
Now that you mention that, a friend of my dad bought a 79 Newport R body. It had a heavy duty package with a 360 4bbl and duals. It didn't have the computer on the air cleaner either. I wonder if it was behind the glove box.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Thanks for all the info, folks. I guess until I get a car, I won't have a firm opinion on Lean Burn or the lack thereof to share. For the present, I'm just learning.

So, turning from deep philosophical discussion to minor trivia--does anybody know why on earth these tiny little bumperette things are on the front corners of the Broughams? They seem not to be on the Imperials. I can't imagine any circumstances in which they'd be useful--they are behind the front edge of the bumper.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

They don't remind me of much except the equally tiny guards you could get on the '60 Fords. Although those were positioned up high enough that there was at least the remote possibility that they might catch a blow before it hit the body.
Car Grille Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Hood

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Well, that was my first thought too, Ace, but as far as I know, the bumper standards were complete by '74, when both ends had to take a 5MPH hit.

And these little things are not on a single 74/75 Imperial I can find a picture of. I don't know why you'd add something after you already met the standard--?
Car Vehicle Photograph Automotive parking light Grille

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
A couple of new links.

This may be a good car, but I don't want black.
RARE! 1973 Imperial LeBaron all original Chrysler - cars & trucks -...

This one is a bit more interesting, just because it's a puzzle. I'll allow it might have been ordered without fender skirts, because the rear chrome wheel lip moldings look factory. But has anybody ever heard of the vinyl top being optional? I haven't and I've been giving these cars some very serious study lately. This one is for sure lightly optioned in other ways--I don't see cruise or tilt, for instance, which almost all these cars have.
1978 Chrysler New Yorker | eBay

· Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
2,830 Posts
1st one: Looks pretty well worn, nice and hot in the summer since it's black lol.

2nd one: Looks like a base model New Yorker. I know the Town Cars of the same vintage could be had without the vinyl top so I don't see why Chrysler wouldn't do the same. It looks pretty nice inside and out but considering it's a base model probably won't fetch much.

Any word about the other car that might be sold already?

· Super Moderator
21,334 Posts
Vinyl roof was optional on New Yorker Brougham in 1978. There was no base model New Yorker in 1978. Vinyl roof was part of the Basic Group which most cars were ordered with. Tilt/telescope wheel and fender skirts were optional on 1978 New Yorker.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Thanks for the info, valiant67. I am a bit obsessive when I get serious about buying a particular model--I can't rest until I know all the ins and outs and trivia. I'm making up a database on these cars.

And speaking of computer tech, here's something that came up in my googling that I hadn't thought of--a 3D model! Why didn't I think of that!

I'll download, get me a 3D printer, and print a car! :)

3D Chrysler New Yorker Brougham Sedan 1977 model - TurboSquid 1807176

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Well, I have had nothing to say about my vehicle search lately--the trail had pretty much gone cold. The only things on the market were overpriced, in blah colors, or both.

However, I'm hot on the scent of this one now:
Find a full listing of Used Chrysler New Yorkers for Sale | Kijiji Autos

I know I said no black, but that red-hot interior is just calling to me! (Although I may deep-six the fuzzy dice.)

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

Anybody see any red (velour) flags here? (Haha--couldn't resist.)

Of course, I have to get it down from northern Canada. Has anybody imported a Canadian car?

Since it's beyond the 25-year limit, I think it should be OK, but with government regs, you never know.

Beginning to feel the excitement!

· Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
2,830 Posts
That's a gorgeous car. Not an imperial but my tempo had a all red interior and I really enjoyed it. If I were you I would pull the trigger on that car if you can.

· Super Moderator
21,334 Posts
I love it, especially the wheel covers.

but it will probably be a little hassle and expense getting it across the border.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Later update--had a final discussion with the owner, and I think this is going to jell.

He needs a little time to get it out of winter storage, and I need to work on transport and customs issues. Will keep you guys posted.

· Super Moderator
21,334 Posts
Later update--had a final discussion with the owner, and I think this is going to jell.

He needs a little time to get it out of winter storage, and I need to work on transport and customs issues. Will keep you guys posted.
Hope it comes through. I like it (but it’s not my money)

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Well, I am still pursuing my Canadian sweetie, and looking into her immigration status. But I'm still watching the market, and there's a couple of new things.

I would take a real interest in this one if it had the button-tufted seats. The cheapo plain flat style just doesn't do it for me--doesn't seem worthy of the car.

Chrysler New Yorker - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive...

This one looks better than most brown ones to me--I think it's because there are several browns, rather than just a single color. But I think it's a bit overpriced.

1977 Chrysler New Yorker - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle...

What an oddity this one is! It would be a conversation piece, for sure, but it probably belongs in a museum.

famous 911 CAR (Americas car) - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle...

These continue to sit on ebay at prices guaranteeing they are sale-proof, particularly the gray '78. Don't know why the sellers don't figure this out.

1977 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham | eBay

1978 Chrysler New Yorker | eBay

· Super Moderator
21,334 Posts
I agree, those seats are just out of place in such an otherwise fancy car.

Those dealers have a lot of overpriced inventory. But it can work for buyers and sellers. For buyers, it can be easier to finance a classic from the dealer than from an individual. For the seller, it’s a way to have storage for your car while hoping for a big payout. For the dealer, most cars are consignment so they don’t have money invested in big cost, slow selling inventory.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Well, this is bad news on my Canadian purchase. I've got a transport and customs quote for $4300, all included, and a transport only one for $3400. For that one, I have to get a customs broker and pay the duty myself.

This looks like nearly doubling the price of the car, so I've told the owner to go after other buyers. I may not be able to make this work out.

Sigh. Back to the drawing board!

61 - 80 of 99 Posts