Allpar Forums banner

Is the NY Brougham a good Imperial substitute?

6378 Views 98 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Adventurer55
Been shopping for an Imperial in the '69-'75 range. They are pretty scarce!

So I've been browsing '76-'78 New Yorker Broughams. There's way more choice in those.

They have the Imperial body and style, although I know some things were thrifted out, like rear disk brakes. And those cars get into the Lean Burn era, and I've heard bad things about that system.

I'm wondering--do these cars really deliver the Imperial-level experience? And is the Lean Burn thing really that bad? Is it reasonably possible to repair or replace if so?

I'm browsing a lot of these cars, but I'm taken with the color on this one:

1976 Chrysler New Yorker For Sale - Gateway Classic Cars

Any advice would be appreciated!
81 - 99 of 99 Posts

· Registered
1993 Dodge caravan, 1949 Dodge truck, 1991 swb chevrolet truck
268 Posts
I always have a bad feeling in my tummy thinking about Imperials. My wife Uncle was more like a Father to me. He liked his old Chrysler's ... I got my first 49 Dodge from him.
He was always particularly proud of this one car. He rebuilt the 440 motor/trans in it, The hubcaps are stored in the trunk. He drove it very little thinking someday he would sell it. Support his retirement. Old man hit his 80's and just never tried to sell it.
He passed away 4 years ago, his 4 kids that have a life of their own, inherited 2 acres of cars .... The only goal was to clear the property & sell it and get back on to their own life.
This Imperial along with the other cars were sold to the local scrap yard for $100 each.
Just saying deals are out there if you search, I will show a 2nd car that was a little newer, Uncle bought it because it was cheap but at the time would run & drive....
As we get older we need to clear out our inventory, what we think is gold, the kids think it's scrap metal.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Tire

· Registered
268 Posts
The location is Eastern Washington, Near Kennewick, really is a dry climate where the cars get very little rust.
While the vinyl top is destroyed by the sun, with a good washing that car really would clean up nice. Of course the usual "ran when parked" Has been sitting for several years at this point, needs everything.
When I was over there at the time, actually helped my Uncle get that one started. Was pretty easy to start & ran it off of a gas can. He actually found a buyer for that one before he died ... Think he got $150-$200 for it. The guy that came to pick it up was so tickled pink, He paid for it, loaded it & left .... he never came back in the house to get the title for it ... He would pull the 440/motor/trans & scrap the rest.
While the Imperial looks like it is sinking into the dirt with the 4 flat tires, it was probably 2 years since the last time it was started & moved.

Just a love hate relationship with people like this. He would grab on to it, unless you were willing to pay twice what it is worth, he would not let go of it. He kinda fell in love with his cars and would not part with them.

When he passed away none of his 4 children were interested in any of them. A local scrap yard offered to pay $100 for each vehicle & come pick them up. They tried 2 weeks on craigslist and just about everything went to the scrap yard. They just wanted the property cleaned up & already had it sold, so they had a time line to deal with.

Just because you love it, does not mean your children will also .... deal with it while you are still able too.
Just a small sample of what his kids had to deal with when he died, The oldest son was disabled and retired, could kinda help manage things ... The others all had full time jobs & working.
Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille Car Hood

Car Vehicle Snow Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky

Car Vehicle Wheel Automotive parking light Tire

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Land vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Sky Tire

Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire

· Registered
268 Posts
Thinking you wanted a Imperial? ... I dunno, I thought of this post when I watched this video the other day.
Dennis Collins went and bought the charger, super bee, ram charger .... but there was a 1964 2 door Imperial there also for sale ... He for whatever reason did not buy it.
If you skip to 6:34 in the video you will see it.
Collins is available on social media and can be contacted, may be possible to get contact & price info from them if you were interested. Just tossing it out there.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Yes, I started out wanting an Imperial and would for sure still take one, but they are so scarce that I decided I would broaden my search to include the NYBs.

I like the fuselage and later models, so that's was I'm shopping, although the '64 in the video does look primo.

· Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
2,830 Posts
Interesting. I think I watched another video of his before regarding Imperials. It's strange the gutting of certain features they did. The chimes back then were horrific to the ears. (My 79 Lincoln is thankfully not) My 84 Tempo had the most horrendous door open chimes ever. Seemed like a hold over from the 70's.

I wonder if that was mainly a Chrysler thing with not offering dome lights in luxury cars. The late 70's Lincolns had them and I think the Cadillac's did as well. Either way those Imperials are GORGEOUS cars. Don't make them like they use to that's for sure.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Well, folks, I started out this thread when I was shopping for an Imperial, so I should probably end by saying what I bought. I never could quite run across an Imperial or New Yorker Brougham to suit me--the right color at the right price in the right condition.

So I settled for what I could find, and some of you may think I settled too far, but I went into the last generation of V8 New Yorkers and purchased an '83 New Yorker Fifth Avenue. It definitely inherited the old Imperial seats, and a good bit of the Imperial's color choices. Mine is red, red, red.

I have some mechanical issues to sort out, and work to do outside. I hope to save the paint with a good buffing, but a new vinyl top is a definite. But the interior is very cherry! (In every sense of the word.) Not quite the presence of the old boats, but for the present, I'm very happy with it.

Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive side marker light
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window
Vehicle Car Plant Motor vehicle Car seat cover
Automotive design Motor vehicle Car seat cover Vehicle Car
Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Speedometer Odometer

Attachments

· Super Moderator
21,334 Posts
These were pretty decent cars. They fell a bit short as Chrysler's "full size" entry since it was based on a "compact" Dodge Aspen (sharing wheelbase, width, height - only a little more length was added). They, like all the RWD Chryslers of that period (with the exception of the police cars), share a few weak spots I pointed out in another thread.
They never got overdrive transmissions or fuel injection so they offered the space of a Ford or GM intermediate, with often worse fuel economy than than a Ford or GM full size. The car had several dates with death (1983, 1986, maybe more) before finally ended in 1989.

· Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,818 Posts
These were pretty decent cars. They fell a bit short as Chrysler's "full size" entry since it was based on a "compact" Dodge Aspen (sharing wheelbase, width, height - only a little more length was added). They, like all the RWD Chryslers of that period (with the exception of the police cars), share a few weak spots I pointed out in another thread.
They never got overdrive transmissions or fuel injection so they offered the space of a Ford or GM intermediate, with often worse fuel economy than than a Ford or GM full size. The car had several dates with death (1983, 1986, maybe more) before finally ended in 1989.
And he'll be like Mike on Better Call Saul too. His is at least an 86 though because of the steering wheel I believe.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts