Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 GC limited w/ Quadradrive. I noticed when I take a tight turn the tires scrub a bit like it would if I was on dry pavement and it was in 4 hi (if I had that) but not that extreme. Since it is new to me is this normal?

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
What does your shifter say? Is there a Part Time/ Full time selection? I'm not up to speed on a Quadradrive option in 2004? It sounds like it's stuck in 4WD, but that could be normal for a full time system during tight turns.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah it is a full time system and it can be shifted into N or 2 Lo

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
Or is it 4Hi-N-4Lo? This may have the front/rear viscous coupling inside the NV 247 or NV 249 transfer case.
The sensation is like 'crab-walking' on low speed turns.
You might try a t/case fluid change with ATF+4. If that doesn't help, it may need a viscous coupling replacement.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
What ImperialCrown said. Mopar cases, transmissions and differentials are very fluid sensitive. Some DIY, or an inexperienced, shop would not know that and I often find the wrong fluid "because it was cheaper" inserted into Mopar vehicles.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I took it to the dealer I bought it from because it was still under lemon law warranty. They said the slight hop was normal for the quadra drive system and they found the steering box was causing noise. They replaced the box, took the spare change in the center console and left me with a steering wheel that was slightly off center. This is why I do my own work.... been a good 10 or so years since somebody worked on something of mine. Some things never change.

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
A slight sideways 'hop' probably can't be helped and is considered normal. The different rotating speeds of the front and rear propeller shafts 'fight' the viscous coupling on low-speed sharp turns.
It is fine going straight down the road as both shafts revolve at the same speed. You can try to drain and refill the transfer case with fresh ATF+4 to see if that helps.
Changing the front and rear differential hypoid oils would probably be a good idea as well. This may have the Trac-Loc rear differential. Synthetic hypoid if you can.
It may still have the original drivetrain fluid fills in it.
If the steering wheel is off center after the service, they should have no problem correcting that at no charge. Toe didn't have to be adjusted with a new box and the link adjustment is simple.
If the spare change was removed from the vehicle, the manager would want to know that too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally got some time and materials to do some fluid changes. My buddy who works at a Chrysler dealer hooked me up with some transfer case fluid and limited slip additive for the diffs. I did some trading at work and spent a grand total of $17 on 5 quarts of BG 75w140 fluid (normally $25 each), and fixed the not-straight steering wheel. The crab walking is gone drives like I would expect :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts