Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm getting ready to install a heater core in my 1994 dodge caravan 3.0 149000 mi. My question: Is it necessary to wrap the foam padding that came with the heater core (unattached) all around without leaving any space on top, side or bottom before installation?

If this foam padding is necessary to install on the heater core before installation, then it's not long enough to reach all around, also, not wide enough to cover the sides of the heater core.

The original heater core is thinner than this after market one which is wider on the sides.

I'm trying to post an image of the heater core. Thanks.

'I'm having problems posting images of the heater core

What are the steps for posting/uploading images from your computer to your post here? Thanks.

http://postimg.org/image/ko3rbhn7t/ after market heater core

http://postimg.org/image/s5cyqpcqx/] oem heater core

Sorry,if I any rules were violated about posting these pictures, had trouble doing it.Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After much internet search, I found out that the supplied self stick foam tape pieces enclosed in the heater core packaging is to pad/insulate/secure the core inside the plastic housing to avoid rattles.

So the foam padding is necessary to use all around the core before install. Before this , I was not really sure of its use. This will be my second heater core replacement within a few months, both were bought from the Dodge dealer, not cheap. I'm beginning to think I have electrolysis issue that need to be solved before installation of this core.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
peterjon1 said:
Second heater core on the same vehicle?
That's right. And the first one was not cheap, the second core was not charged to me by the dealer since the first core was still under warranty after it leaked. I chose to buy from the dealer because I had trouble fitting the after market core into the heater box, I don't remember that particular heater core brand that couldn't fit, it was a little taller so the heater box cover could not closed correctly. Shortly after that the original compressor started moaning when activated, did not know whether the whole ac system has become contaminated. So I started buying replacement parts. I started with the condenser, I couldn't able to install, it wouldn't fit properly. The first condenser, by Tyc correctly installed but not the second one (performance).I'm still looking for correct condenser like TYC. All other parts are available to start the work. Thanks for asking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts