Allpar Forums banner

It's back from the shop!!!!

10K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Laser86 
#1 ·
Yay!! Just picked up my 88 daytona from the paint shop today!! No more primer gray fender and no more dings!! It looks brand new! I will finish the details in the spring with some flat black paint on certain moldings around the windshield and I am going to repaint the rims. :D

See less See more
#7 ·
SWEET!

#9 ·
Bguy, it's a "tomato red" pin stripe that matches the tomato red pin stripes within the plastic black body molding. I will take a close up of the pin striping so you can see it better (it will also show the lovely pearl coat within the paint). The car is twilight blue with pearl coat - the original paint color code. It happened to be more expensive then a normal paint color with clear coat.

Yes it looks new again and I will try my best to keep it that way. I have had this car 26 years and hopefully many more.

#10 ·
OH and as to fresh paint. Yep. It's stinking up my garage! Hee hee!!! :) In 6 months, she's getting some Meguire's Gold Class wax - it will really look awesome :)

#13 ·
Thanks! This is the 2nd time it has been repainted. The first time was in 96 due to the fact the factory paint job (same color) was sloughing off the car (that started when the car was 2 years old).

#15 ·
With the coupon it cost $1,800.00.

I had received almost $2k from the insurance adjuster back in June for the damage done to my car so we went out found a fender, and put it on. We did have someone lined up to paint my car who was very good, however something happened in their life which made them unavailable. So I searched out all my options, visited a few paint shops, got estimates. We found a family owned Maaco near me and that is where we had it done because they had the best price. I had checked out their work first of course and seen vehicles that were painted years ago and also recent paint jobs by this shop all looked fantastic and the same as other shops or better. No, I could not afford to do the complete restoration where they take off all the body parts like trim, remove handles etc before they paint. Everything was fixed, the damage to the door, the dings on the other side of the car, and even the rust hole which showed up 2 years ago. I am happy with what they did as my 88 Daytona looks so much better! BTW, we did discover there was another small rust hole in the floor pan on the driver's side. I fixed that one myself. :)

Oh, one more thing, I am not a dude, I am a lady. :) Of course some people in my life thought it was stupid to put $1,800 into this car but too bad it's my car and it's insurance money!! :p :)

#16 ·
Sounds like you did your homework before the paint work. :)

I got a kick out of your sig concerning the Tahoes :D

#17 ·
Ha ha yeah I have to change that signature now. My husband recently bought me a 2001 green LT loaded Chevy suburban 4x4 with chrome rims (rims are nicer than what is on my Daytona). It has a 6.0 vortec engine in it with 160,000 miles and is all ready to haul my horse trailer if needed. This vehicle someone actually took care of it and it looks almost brand new as it was garage kept. Well slowly catching up to 2005 haha!!

#20 ·
Wow! Talk about a "bump"!.....

#22 ·
Daytona dude I hope you got yours prepped and painted by now! :)

Just an update. Not quite 6 months after I had it painted, someone at the inspection garage scratched my car (lower in front of passenger front tire towards the bottom of panel). Then someone (not sure who I was not home at the time) was moving a cabinet out of my garage a year later, and banged my drivers side door! Do you think the person would offer to pay to get it fixed? NOPE. I am not even sure who did it, but it really aggravates me because you try to keep something nice looking and another dimwit messes it up. Any how I keep it waxed regularly and maintained.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.