Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for fun, this week (the 11th) marks the 3rd year - 3rd anniversary of our 88 Shelby Z becoming one of our family.

So, I plan on spending a little extra time every night ... doing something 'extra special' - like - detailing or something light and fun.

So join in the fun, and give your Daytona a little extra attention this week...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure how the Pacifica air dam is installed, but the Shelby Z is just a quick ez unbolt. What year Shelby?

·
King
3,488 Posts
the Shelby air dam is from a 88.
the pacifica air dam crosses under the car as aposed to all around the lip of the car.
I will look for pictures.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've taken a week off work to make the car street-able - hopefully by the end of the week.... Been going over the many little areas (underbody) of light rust and brushing and painting (Rustoleum reformer/rusty metal primer/semigloss) 2+ coats of each. Broke the little 'tab' on the panhard-rod nut on right side. Luckily was able to get a wrench on it. Bushings look great, just taking it apart - well - so I can clean and paint it as good as possible. Removed the springs/stops... cleaned and repainted etc... have new lower spring isolators to put in... tops looked OK...

Interesting find - the rear bumper - (after cover removed) - had a paper tag - indicating 1992.... then I noticed under the tail light housing - that was previously hidden by the cover... was red - had been replaced and repainted...

I have some really bad tears in the cover that I am going to 'weld'.... I'll see how that goes...

Other than that - it is about the the stage of running the brake lines (hope no leaks from my 'all hand cut/flared' lines... then the fuel lines... all the interior to put back in (... had critters eat into the insulation... I have some dense foam I can put in there - back in plastic bags as 'stock').. fix reverse knob... re-align the doors (might be better after off stands?)... many 'little' things to keep me busy... then I can hit the engine compartment... (belts... timing belt too...have done a few before - but not a FWD car...)

Have a friend scheduled to stop tomorrow to re-weld the drivers floor pan.... then drill hole out for the parking brake cable...

Car has the stock rear disc calipers with parking brake - the parking mechanism is free and moves the cylinders in and out -

The exhaust (other than no muffler) actually looks pretty solid... had thought about going bigger ... will see when I get to that what I decide...

lots to do...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess it's my thread so I can extend 'Spirit Week'!

Each day I'm closer to putting the key in... tonights plans - prime and paint (paint may wait until primer cures overnight) new floorboard. Apply seam sealer I use Napa 4313.
16 gauge should last awhile - that is some fun (thick) metal to work with.

Tomorrow - follow up on the floorboard - touch-up/finish any remaining spots in floor. - Rear brake lines/calipers/parking assembly should be next - I think I had some questionable flares - I didn't notice my cutting wheel developed a nick...will re-examine. I kept the 88 design rear discs - the parking function APPEARS to be functioning ok... this has gotta be in the running for the 'worlds longest time to replace brakes'...

the 'go' part hasn't yet been a problem (other than replacing a bad fuel hose @ filter - need to verify I have the correct high pressure hose) , it was the 'stop' part that was the problem. Of course had to remove the tank to run the line to left rear...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Huh. So, the Pacifica air dam goes clear under the car? I too have an '88 Shelby, and the nut inserts failed and fell out. I cut away the part that was hanging down until I got a replacement front bumper cover, but the replacement doesn't go under the car.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The air dam/chin spoiler on my 88 Shelby - goes back past the radiator (I think) on the bottom - but it's just a 'flat' section. I'll see if I can find a photo later.

As long as the weather holds out, and I do not run into yet another - 'missing parts (i.e. brain lapse) '/other problems... I should have the brake lines run the week of October 20th....
This week I should be applying the 'final' coats (top coats and undercoat) to the new floor (lower) and internal 'small areas'.

I am considering using some bed-liner in the 'trunk/spare tire' area (interior) - any thoughts on that? (I suppose I could cut a carpet for that area). (Why? - to "cover up" some 'hammer marks').

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Drove the Turbo Z this week, since I can now transport my daughter in the back with the new lap/shoulder belts. It was a great ride.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Of course driving is the 'ultimate' goal for the 88, since the last time driving it was into the driveway - with pushing assistance 3+ yrs ago. (It had a ruptured fuel hose @ the tank = low pressure =no power).

Running brake lines from valve to the back is the goal this weekend. When I removed the old lines, I used them as a template for the new ones. I'll see how far I'm off.

Also discovered a 'tweak' in the L trailing arm. Hope to 'tweak it close' and that a shop can finish the tweaks to align it.

took these photos last night, not the best quality...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Photo of the chin spoiler... and rear bumper cover - 88 Shelby Z

1 - 12 of 12 Posts