Allpar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the Boss asks me to sort 3 or 4 boxes of photos. I didn't touch the Poloroids. They looked mostly like trade-ins and farm equipment. But then I find a few gems.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

This photo was taken in 1992 at the Chrysler dealership in Spirit River, Alberta. I believe those may be mostly 1942 vintage but I'm just reading the back of the photo. This group of World War 2 veterans and enthusiast were celebrating the 50th anniversary of the completion of the Alaska Highway. They were first on their way to Dawson Creek in BC, Canada. That is Mile 0 of the Alaskan Highway. Dave Ross himself helped the army with the construction of the highway. Those stories are better told by the in-laws.
The original photo is pretty yellowed. I'm happy with the digital correction. These was one of those Kodak wide pictures.

Thanks for taking a look!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire

This was the lineup in 1991 at one time. One night the white elevator on the right burned down. Embers were flying and landing on the trucks. All the staff were called and one person ran truck to truck unlocking and starting them. Others jumped in and drove the trucks away from the heat. It was a close call. Could have lost them all.
The others were torn down one at a time as time passed. I might add the fire and the destruction of the other white elevator. Not exactly vehicle related but hey. Its just a thread. I have a follow up picture of the sunsetting and only the green elevators are standing. A lone Intrepid is in that sunset picture.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a teaser of the fire. It is a picture taken from outside and around the corner of the showroom.

The picture of all the people parking to watch the show in a post above can show you how close they were together.

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Tire Motor vehicle

That would have been a surreal site for it to be a smoldering mess after. The smell would have lasted for days.

Getting close to the end of the day. I will sort the other fire pictures for fun later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts