Allpar Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Auto News reports this morning that Japanese officials tried Nissan to merge with Honda as recently as late 2019.

The two automakers couldn’t be more different. For instance, Honda employs only 15 people in market research in the US; Nissan employs 45. Yet Honda has a 10% market share vs Nissan’s 7.5%. Honda has a very flat organizational structure; Nissan has a top-heavy structure that is very political. Honda promotes from within; Nissan is constantly hiring from the outside.

Japanese officials tried to push Nissan-Honda merger, report says

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Politics is almost always behind big business.

Now. Who can say that Ghosn prosecution was not orchestrated by politics?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I was living in Mississippi doing consulting work when Carlos came to build the 1 Billion $ Nissan plant. Right after the construction started another car company expressed interest in coming too. In order to block the other company the Governor and Carlos struck a back room deal. He would add another 1/2 Billion $'s to add a car line to the plant just keep the other one out. It worked they went to Alabama. Later Toyota built in Tupelo. No deals Carlos was to busy with other projects.

The back side of the deal was really bad. Carlos talked the Business Development crowd to take more land than they needed by eminent domain. They took farm land that had been in families for a 100 years. This was especially hard on black farmers. Yes, today much of that land sits empty and unused, so sad.

·
Jeepaholic
6,019 Posts
The theme music to the Odd Couple TV show just popped into my head....:D

Reactions: Stéphane Dumas

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,759 Posts
I was living in Mississippi doing consulting work when Carlos came to build the 1 Billion $ Nissan plant. Right after the construction started another car company expressed interest in coming too. In order to block the other company the Governor and Carlos struck a back room deal. He would add another 1/2 Billion $'s to add a car line to the plant just keep the other one out. It worked they went to Alabama. Later Toyota built in Tupelo. No deals Carlos was to busy with other projects.

The back side of the deal was really bad. Carlos talked the Business Development crowd to take more land than they needed by eminent domain. They took farm land that had been in families for a 100 years. This was especially hard on black farmers. Yes, today much of that land sits empty and unused, so sad.
Sounds like Hamtrammack, and this is one reason why I firmly oppose eminent domain for commercial projects. It always ends up with developers bribing local politicians (or promising jobs that never appear) because it's cheaper than paying market value.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Honda-Mazda would work better, but it wasn’t Honda that needed support.

(Honda’s car business is one of their smaller divisions: they’re a world leader in motorcycle and marine engines)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Don't know how they could pull that off. Nissan hooked up with Renault and they don't have as many seats / votes as Renault so they are at Renault's leisure. Nissan is in a heap of trouble. Have been for awhile and only getting worse. Even more so with the virus since they depend on rentals more than anyone right now in the U.S.

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mr Ghosn never was, and still isn’t, a saint. He ran Renault-Nissan like his private property.

Sounds like Japan was willing to have Nissan sever ties with Renault and marry up with Honda.

Of course this is all politicians’ nonsense. There’s no way Honda was going to go along with it.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
It somewhat reminds me of another merger between two car companies that couldn't be more different in culture. Based on that outcome, I wouldn't have high hopes for this one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts