Allpar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very interesting, and creative, twist on product placement.

“Songwriters compete to have their songs performed by country music band Old Dominion in a Jeep commercial. Contestants performed their original songs in front of producers and the band before reworking the tracks to better align with Old Dominion's style and Jeep's personality.”

https://www.autonews.com/marketing/jeeps-new-spin-product-placemen

Reactions: jclick and Morty

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Is this what it’s come down too? Marketing becomes more important than product. I guess it worked for Subaru, the vehicle of Love. Toyota puts “race style” front fascia on Camry and pushes a sporty image, now Jeep pushes the line that all their products have Wrangler DNA. Brave New World.

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Limited, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Laredo, 2017 Jeep Wrangler
1,173 Posts
Ya can't fool all of us though. Camry is sporty right. No matter how many swoops and creases they put on it....its still a hideously ugly boring appliance. Subaru...I actually like some of their cars (BRZ, WRX etc) but they are never advertised...their ads are repulsive. If all I knew were their ads, I'd never go into a Subaru showroom, esp the BS about the Forester having to last this long blah blah blah...well as a long term Subaru owner...I sure hope they FINALLY fixed the head gasket nightmares that they have had for years.....we had it twice on one vehicle!

Reactions: Donte Lindsey

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this what it’s come down too? Marketing becomes more important than product. I guess it worked for Subaru, the vehicle of Love. Toyota puts “race style” front fascia on Camry and pushes a sporty image, now Jeep pushes the line that all their products have Wrangler DNA. Brave New World.
Product and marketing need to support each other. Neither one can exist in a vacuum very long.

The thing is, as brilliant as using a Jeep commercial as the subject for a Songland show was, it is very difficult to do it again.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Product and marketing need to support each other. Neither one can exist in a vacuum very long.
Wasn't that what brought ChryCo to it's knees in the 70s? No emphasis on product design and engineering, and just relying on marketing dollars. I don't think you can point a finger at FCA right now and say there hasn't been any of the former, but you can argue whether it was the right stuff or in the right brand, market segment and/or marketing area.

Reactions: aldo90731

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ya can't fool all of us though. Camry is sporty right. No matter how many swoops and creases they put on it....its still a hideously ugly boring appliance. Subaru...I actually like some of their cars (BRZ, WRX etc) but they are never advertised...their ads are repulsive. If all I knew were their ads, I'd never go into a Subaru showroom, esp the BS about the Forester having to last this long blah blah blah...well as a long term Subaru owner...I sure hope they FINALLY fixed the head gasket nightmares that they have had for years.....we had it twice on one vehicle!
The Camry comes with an available 301HP V6. That's better than a Charger SXT. I personally would rather drive the Charger, but if you're a fan of Toyota, the Camry will get you there just as fast. For 2020 there's even a TRD option.

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Wasn't that what brought ChryCo to it's knees in the 70s? No emphasis on product design and engineering, and just relying on marketing dollars. I don't think you can point a finger at FCA right now and say there hasn't been any of the former, but you can argue whether it was the right stuff or in the right brand, market segment and/or marketing area.
FCA’s marketing appears to be bouts of brilliance followed by long spells of inactivity.

Marketing has several key elements: creativity, relevance, empathy and frequency —including placement. IMO, FCA marketing is high on creativity, empathy and perhaps relevance—particularly those Super Bowl ads, but awfully low in frequency.

Toyota’s marketing, for instance, is not the most creative, but it is quite credible and frequent. You’d be surprised if you were to count how many times in a day you are actually exposed to a Toyota banner, plain logo or full-on ad.

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,091 Posts
You’d be surprised if you were to count how many times in a day you are actually exposed to a Toyota banner, plain logo or full-on ad.
Indeed. There are so many Toyota commercials on satelite TV it is nauseating. That doesn't include what I may see online.

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Most of the time we are not even aware that we are looking at a Toyota ad —blurred in the background

Reactions: saltydog and Doug D

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
That's no different then fca and their brands. Hell ram was/is apart of a few hockey teams, jeep sponsors a soccer team, and ram/dodge sponsor some nascar races. Those are just off the top of my head too

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
That's no different then fca and their brands. Hell ram was/is apart of a few hockey teams, jeep sponsors a soccer team, and ram/dodge sponsor some nascar races. Those are just off the top of my head too
And...If you are unfortunate enough to be listening to a New York Yankees Baseball game on radio...octogenarian play-by-play announcer John Sterling will never let you forget that each and every half-inning of every Yankees' game is "Driven By Jeep".

·
Premium Member
4,038 Posts
I'm not really a fan of the current Ram commercials, but they sell a bunch of trucks. And I'm not a fan of the Jeep spots with Jeremy Renner, but I like him as an actor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts