Allpar Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
would be nice if they could package the turbo 4 from the Cherokee into the Compass
The 2.0 would easily fit. But, that could lead to cannibalizing sales from the Cherokee. Many don't know this, but the compass actually has MORE interior volume than the Cherokee. So the Cherokee did a little magic and gained a bit more in the trunk and brought back the sliding 2nd row seats when it got its refresh a few years ago. So, while everyone would LOVE the 2.0 turbo in the compass (260+ HP!!!!!!!) i doubt it would happen. Instead, what we will be getting is a 1.3l Turbo + hybrid system (electric motor powering rear wheels only) which would boost the compass well into the 240hp range. A close second, but the benefit is pure electric driving range of 20-30 miles and way better mpg.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The competition will be the Kia and Hyundai counterpart .. Sorento and Tucson. So hopefully there have been doing their homework as there is pretty high end work being done in the market from other companies.
Sorento and Tucson are WAY bigger than Compass. Even bigger than Cherokee.
Hyundai and Kia have other vehicles that are closer competition to the compass and renegade
Hyundai - Venue, Kona, and maybe the Tucson if shoppers were OK going a bit bigger.
Kia - Soul, Sportage (which, like the Tucson, is getting bigger this year), and Seltos.
The Seltos is the closest to a Compass, but other than the styling and MPG on the Seltos, there isnt much more it has over the Compass.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
The 2.0 would easily fit. But, that could lead to cannibalizing sales from the Cherokee. Many don't know this, but the compass actually has MORE interior volume than the Cherokee. So the Cherokee did a little magic and gained a bit more in the trunk and brought back the sliding 2nd row seats when it got its refresh a few years ago. So, while everyone would LOVE the 2.0 turbo in the compass (260+ HP!!!!!!!) i doubt it would happen. Instead, what we will be getting is a 1.3l Turbo + hybrid system (electric motor powering rear wheels only) which would boost the compass well into the 240hp range. A close second, but the benefit is pure electric driving range of 20-30 miles and way better mpg.
Compass will get new 1.5 turbo very soon. At least in Europe.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
And that is why sales here are artificially suppressed here in the states. Ironically Compass sells more here then Europe, even with the 2.4. I suppose it's a victim of its own success here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I won’t be buying anything with a stupid tablet. Especially one that looks like it was bought on eBay and taped to the dash.
...then pretty soon you won't be able to buy anything new, as all manufacturers seem to be going to this model.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Very nice upgrade to the interior!

I could nit-pick about the colors... too gray IMO... the tan across the dash should be found in the seats and more in the doors.

I know there were some minor exterior upgrades, but they're pretty much invisible to me.

·
Registered
527 Posts

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
...then pretty soon you won't be able to buy anything new, as all manufacturers seem to be going to this model.
I hope you're wrong! Because it looks like an bad afterthought.
I hope if they do go this way they'll at least have a knob on the console for selection.:rolleyes:
Could we have more cheap shiny plastics please!

·
Super Moderator
37,290 Posts
If you want a larger screen you either have to raise the dash and/or lower the screen in the dash to keep it part of the dash.

Or the screen, at least part of it, is no longer part of the dash.

I don’t like the added on screen look, but I don’t like a tall, blocky dash either.

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
Over all I like it!

I don't care for the steering wheel badge - looks generic and cheap.

Finally 360* cameras coming into more vehicles!

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Overall, I find the upgrades ok. Anytime FCA improves anything on a vehicle is a plus. The Compass is a good looking CUV that I find appealing, but as long as the 2.4 is what we get, will keep me out of one. I've driven several rentals with this engine and it's way past it's retirement. I don't mind the 9 speed as much as the engine, except I don't see the need for one when all gears are hardly ever used. I'd rather have an 8 sp that feels like the rear drive unit. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I also hate the "tablet on the dash" look. How long until people start snapping them off backwards? They look terrible. I get all the reasons that have been given for the placement, but you know what? I dont need a giant 10 inch tablet/screen to drive a car. Never have, hopefully never will. Its a dashboard, not an entertainment center.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I also hate the "tablet on the dash" look. How long until people start snapping them off backwards? They look terrible. I get all the reasons that have been given for the placement, but you know what? I dont need a giant 10 inch tablet/screen to drive a car. Never have, hopefully never will. Its a dashboard, not an entertainment center.
People who post on automotive websites are a decided minority, so what you or I want or don't want is of dubious relevance.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts