Allpar Forums banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
There should not be any "conversion". Trail rating should have been built-in as they do with the Grand Cherokee.

Width is not one of the criteria.

Articulation
Maneuverability
Traction
Ground Clearance
Water Fording

We can argue that it is maneuverability that may hold the Wagoneers back. But since there is no baseline criteria, it can be anything. Providing the Wagoneer can offer the other aspects (articulation, traction, ground clearance and water fording) superior to any other offering on the market, it could have a Trail Rated badge.

I just think that, once again, they are missing who are their customers. While the vast majority of Wagoneer buyers will not care about a Trail rated badge, it is still a Jeep (though there is no Jeep badge on the vehicle).

The Trail Rated designation is not arbitrary, nor is it based on being 'best in class". There is in fact a baseline criteria. The Trail Rated designation comes "independent" testing from Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) based on criteria set by the parties. Unfortunately, I have no idea the exact criteria is because as the following article states, it is proprietary.

JUST WHAT DOES JEEP’S TRAIL RATED MEAN?

That said, not being Trail Rated doesn't mean it can't and shouldn't have a capable off road version, at the very least.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
One tidbit to keep in mind, in WWII, Ford built more GPW (Ford's version of the Willys MB) than Willys did. The M38 was the last Willys Jeep and was replaced by the Ford built M151, which was a very capable off-road vehicle, but due to it's swing axle rear suspension, dangerous on pavement (Sticker I had to affix to our M151s read "Caution, executing a 90° degree turn in excess of 25 mph may cause a loss of control and/or the vehicle to turn over") The M151A2, corrected most of this by relocating the rear suspension pivot points.

Jeep has done a pretty good job at keeping the basic Jeep off-road models not to far removed from the MB of WWII. Steering is greatly improved from the drag link, relay lever and tie rods of the MB chassis that continued at least until AMC acquired Jeep. In driving one at high speeds (keep in mind the basic design is from the late 1930s) is pushing the limits of the chassis, go off-road and it is in it's element.

Trail rated, does imply, and to most buyers indicate the platform has been tested and found capable. Ford is not new to this game and competition will be good for both Ford and Stellantis. If GM gets serious (unlikely after seeing the new Blazer) then it could get really interesting.

·
Super Moderator
38,725 Posts
One tidbit to keep in mind, in WWII, Ford built more GPW (Ford's version of the Willys MB) than Willys did. The M38 was the last Willys Jeep and was replaced by the Ford built M151, which was a very capable off-road vehicle, but due to it's swing axle rear suspension, dangerous on pavement (Sticker I had to affix to our M151s read "Caution, executing a 90° degree turn in excess of 25 mph may cause a loss of control and/or the vehicle to turn over") The M151A2, corrected most of this by relocating the rear suspension pivot points.

Jeep has done a pretty good job at keeping the basic Jeep off-road models not to far removed from the MB of WWII. Steering is greatly improved from the drag link, relay lever and tie rods of the MB chassis that continued at least until AMC acquired Jeep. In driving one at high speeds (keep in mind the basic design is from the late 1930s) is pushing the limits of the chassis, go off-road and it is in it's element.

Trail rated, does imply, and to most buyers indicate the platform has been tested and found capable. Ford is not new to this game and competition will be good for both Ford and Stellantis. If GM gets serious (unlikely after seeing the new Blazer) then it could get really interesting.
Ford was also rather upset to have lost this military revenue. I read that Ford designed the original Bronco with the intention of convincing the military it was better for their needs.
Not much seems to be published about this, so it's possible it wasn't followed through on or the Bronco wasn't enough to beat out the jeep.

Reactions: 85lebaront2

·
Registered
386 Posts
Well they don’t have to put a trail rated badge on Wagoneer. They could add “overland” with some off road goodes, just to distinguish it from other terms. And I don’t think Stellantis will let Ford and GMC do their things. I am sure they will have an answer sooner or later.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins.
4,362 Posts
I believe the M38A1 was the last one built by Jeep. The CJ5 came from that. The M38 is more like a 2A or 3A.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts