Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
35,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jeep owners with the 2.4 liter four-cylinder have complained of oil drinking, with the engines sucking in up to a quart every 2,000 miles. What made this especially perplexing was the seemingly random nature of the problem, since some owners had no problems at all, not having to add any oil between their ten-to-twelve-month oil changes. Oil use is usually caused by manufacturing problems, but such variability in a modern engine would be highly unusual.

Marc Rozman photo

Jeep has responded with a customer satisfaction campaign to resolve the issue. According to a customer rep, the oil is being sucked into the cylinders during deceleration; the solution was to change the software to prevent vacuum from being created in the cylinders at critical times.

According to an FCA spokesman, the problem (and solution) affect the 2018 Jeep Cherokee, Compass, and Renegade AWD; and the 2019 Jeep Cherokee.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just got a call about this recall today by my dealer. At 34k miles on my 2018 Renegade Trailhawk I already had to add a quart between oil changes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So this wont be available for all vehicles equipped with the 2.4L Multiair? Its more then the 2018+ Jeeps having this issue. Id like to hear FCAs reasoning as to why they're excluding a large portion of vehicles that are affected with this issue

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
If you have an effected vehicle you will be contacted. What do you own??

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 2014 RAM 1500 Big Horn CC, 2006 PT GT Cruiser, 2005 Neon SXT
142 Posts
What is strange to me, having just purchased a 2018 Cherokee with a 2.4 (yes I had full knowledge of the oil usage concerns), is that this Campaign was done to mine on December 20th, (according to my recall records). So why is it just coming out now as news?

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you have an effected vehicle you will be contacted. What do you own??
2014 Dodge Dart GT. Its the same engine as the Jeeps, however theres no mention of the TSB being applied to the Darts. Many of us over on the Dart Forums have had this issue since the Dart was released in 2013. I wonder if theyre only releasing this fix for vehicles still under warranty. The 2014 Cherokee and the 2018 Cherokee use the same 2.4L Multiair so it doesnt make sense as to why the TSB would only be applied to 2018+ models

·
Super Moderator
37,475 Posts
Each vehicle, even from year to year, can have differing software so that could be why they aren't covered yet. Maybe the software is still under development and the prioritized the higher-volume ones fitrst?.
The EPA and the class action lawsuits certainly appear to be aimed at more 2.4 powered vehicles than this software letter covers.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Is this a problem on the older 2.4's (2008-2010) or is this just the multi air 2.4 that is having this issue?

·
Administrator
35,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is strange to me, having just purchased a 2018 Cherokee with a 2.4 (yes I had full knowledge of the oil usage concerns), is that this Campaign was done to mine on December 20th, (according to my recall records). So why is it just coming out now as news?
Because this is the first I heard about it.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 2014 RAM 1500 Big Horn CC, 2006 PT GT Cruiser, 2005 Neon SXT
142 Posts
Because this is the first I heard about it.
Makes Sense Dave, I thought they were just making it public now... I of course went to check on this when I saw your post and was surprised to see it had been applied to my Jeep prior to my purchase, strange thing was a recall from 2018 still hadn't been done yet, why this was done and not that makes little sense to me... anxiously awaiting for the Mopar Owners app to recognize I now own the jeep so I can look at its service history to see what else is there...

·
Administrator
35,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Makes Sense Dave, I thought they were just making it public now... I of course went to check on this when I saw your post and was surprised to see it had been applied to my Jeep prior to my purchase, strange thing was a recall from 2018 still hadn't been done yet, why this was done and not that makes little sense to me... anxiously awaiting for the Mopar Owners app to recognize I now own the jeep so I can look at its service history to see what else is there...
You can also use the online owners thing, I think it's owners.jeep.com but I'm probably wrong.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Good to hear they are doing something about this. I wish it wasn't necessary, but it is a good sign.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Jeep owners with the 2.4 liter four-cylinder have complained of oil drinking, with the engines sucking in up to a quart every 2,000 miles. What made this especially perplexing was the seemingly random nature of the problem, since some owners had no problems at all, not having to add any oil between their ten-to-twelve-month oil changes. Oil use is usually caused by manufacturing problems, but such variability in a modern engine would be highly unusual.

View attachment 73401
Marc Rozman photo

Jeep has responded with a customer satisfaction campaign to resolve the issue. According to a customer rep, the oil is being sucked into the cylinders during deceleration; the solution was to change the software to prevent vacuum from being created in the cylinders at critical times.

According to an FCA spokesman, the problem (and solution) affect the 2018 Jeep Cherokee, Compass, and Renegade AWD; and the 2019 Jeep Cherokee.

View attachment 73401
Marc Rozman photo

Is there a TSB number? I bought a 2013 Dart GT that seems to have this problem. Don't want to go through the whole oil consumption test is i don't have to.

·
Super Moderator
37,475 Posts
Is there a TSB number? I bought a 2013 Dart GT that seems to have this problem. Don't want to go through the whole oil consumption test is i don't have to.
As mentioned in anther post, there are different stages and the Dart is going to be in a later stage. They say you’ll get a notification when that is ready.

·
Registered
142 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts