Allpar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to this report, an agreement was signed recently that will see the Cherokee produced at GAC (where the Viaggio/Dart is produced).
Additionally, the article mentions that the Fiat Freemont (née dodge journey) will also likely be produced there, thus giving another indication that the next Journey will likely also be a CUSW/Cherokee derivative.

http://www.chinacartimes.com/2013/06/jeep-to-land-in-changsha/

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Dr. Z said:
Hurray I thinkn
Really?
I remember the brouhaha last year when a candidate suggested this.... ;)
Exporting jobs is never good, even if protectionism by the Chinese is the reason., especially when trade barriers are a one way street.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
This good news and old news, China is now the #1 car market in the world, the import taxes are very high, this will lead to higher sales and broader appeal allowing more US sourced Jeeps and Jeep sourced components into China. The Chinese people like non-Chinese cars far more than Chinese cars(for good reason). Remember Jeep has a long history of Chinese assembled vehicles and should have had the same head start that Buick and VW had it not been squandered by Daimler.

Of course Fiat/Chrysler wants to be a bigger part of this growing market and like everywhere in the world local assembly make good sense from a tax and logistic perspective.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
We need a US gov't who will stand up to China and its onerous rules on auto imports as well as its currency manipulation.

Unfortunately, administrations from neither party seem to have the testicular fortitude to do this, thereby, exporting jobs.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
There no exporting job with this deal, we sell tons of grain, wood, cigs, and liquor. But in this case, this is a pro-growth and pro-Jeep move. This will be additional volume. Jeep sourced component will flow in. The better priced low end Jeep will drive more traffic at show rooms and help sell GC and Wranglers.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
it is my understanding that those Jeeps would be for Chineses consumption only. Lets keep it real guys.....Jeep is having a hard enough time producing enough product for US consumption..... So its not like we even could produce enough for export if we wanted to....

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
CJDsalespro said:
it is my understanding that those Jeeps would be for Chineses consumption only. Lets keep it real guys.....Jeep is having a hard enough time producing enough product for US consumption..... So its not like we even could produce enough for export if we wanted to....
M.O.D. said:
Nothing in this piece of news will cause loss of US (or Mexican) jobs.

period.
TripleT said:
There no exporting job with this deal, we sell tons of grain, wood, cigs, and liquor. But in this case, this is a pro-growth and pro-Jeep move. This will be additional volume. Jeep sourced component will flow in. The better priced low end Jeep will drive more traffic at show rooms and help sell GC and Wranglers.
HEY HEY HEY guys ...lets not let facts get in the way of cheap political ax grinding, k?

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
M.O.D. said:
Nothing in this piece of news will cause loss of US (or Mexican) jobs.

period.
Exactly, this is additional volume. This what people want US products available to the market. Jeep engineers with more work. Jeep suppliers from Kokomo to Detroit with more work.

Chinese able to afford a Jeep vehicle that is from Jeep without 40%+ tax, and hope to own a GC someday

·
Registered
530 Posts
I see both sides, really.

In all truth, any job in China from a US Company is a job that is not going to an American. Jeep could expand their volume by buying/building new factories here in the states. If there were not ridiculous tariffs on imports in China, that is what would be happening.

However, there is no impact on the current workforce at Chrysler. To say that we're shipping jobs to China is not quite true; rather, we are creating jobs in China.

My opinion: I would love to see more manfacturing here and exporting the product to China. If any of our political leaders from either party had the testicular fortitude to actually stand up to China (saying you are or will is simply not good enough), this would not be an issue. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening any time soon. Chrysler has to do what is necessary to expand into what will be the number one automotive market in the world.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Before we squawk about protectionist Chinese auto import laws, let's discuss our own 'chicken tax' on trucks and commercial vehicles.

Virtually every country on the planet has some form of protectionist import taxes or regulation.

Frankly, I'm more concerned about the transfer of proprietary knowledge to the Chinese partner.

·
Administrator
35,285 Posts
Our chicken tax pales in front of China’s auto import laws. The tax amount is smaller, it's easy to get around, and it only applies to a small category.

We also don't demand of anyone that to build something here, they assign the US with all the intellectual property rights.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts