Allpar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi we are looking for a jeep as a second car for my wife, the only option she really wants is a/c, I found a nice Liberty, CHEAP, havnt seen it up close yet but appears not bad, but she is plain jane and no a/c, can it be installed from a donor wreck easily? I am not afraid of custom work and of course would have s shop charge it for me but any idea what kind of job this is, this car is about a third the price of all the others I have seen and even better it is a manual which are harder to find, thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,519 Posts
The earlier ones may be easier to convert than the later ones with a TIPM and you can't just swap TIPM's.
It still would be extensive work and a donor Liberty with a service manual would be the only real way to do it.
See if the hole in the firewall and engine compartment/underdash wiring connectors are there for A/C.

·
Registered
204 Posts
That would be one heckuva project on a modern vehicle...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to discourage you. It's just not something I would tackle myself. Seems like too many potential pitfalls.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Could an aftermarket unit intended for hot rods, etc. be used?
Something from vintageair.com or nostalgicairparts.com or similar?

·
KOG
7,049 Posts
You'd need to call the supplier and ask if they have anything compatible.

·
Super Moderator
37,519 Posts
There's also a chance there was a dealer install AC kit offered.

·
Registered
262 Posts
There should be an aftermarket a/c kit for the Liberty. I know there was about 7 years ago. My friend worked at a local CPJ dealer. The dealer had screwed up and ordered 2 non a/c Libertys so they sent them out and had a/c put on them. I remember seeing the side window sticker for accessories' and it said "field installed a/c $1800". They had to do it since they knew they couldn't sell them without a/c in Florida.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well thanks for the help but the jeep sold and my wife and I squirreled a bit and put a deposit down on a brand new Avenger " blacktop edition" on the weekend WITH a/c, problem solved! lol

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Nice! That does handily solve that problem now, doesn't it...

·
Enjoying the ride.
2,164 Posts
Sounds like a problem solved and then some. The Avenger with the Blacktop package looks amazing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts