Allpar Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the article:

The Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy issued an air quality violation to the automaker last month after state regulators documented "persistent and objectionable paint/solvent odors of moderate intensity ... impacting residential areas downwind of the facility," according to a violation notice EGLE issued to Stellantis on Sept. 20.

EGLE's air quality investigators documented the odors on three separate occasions — Aug. 27, Aug. 31 and Sept. 3 — after fielding complaints about nuisance odors, according to the violation notice.

Full article here:

Michigan environmental regulators issue air quality violation to Stellantis over odors from new Jeep plant in Detroit | Automotive News (autonews.com)

·
Registered
15,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, but this "smells" of FCA cutting corners......

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,778 Posts
I'm going to say "subcontractor." That was the issue when I worked for the company that made the catalytic converters. Their superb pollution removal systems worked fine if the fumes got to them, that is, if there weren't any leaks in the ductwork.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Sorry, but this "smells" of FCA cutting corners......
No it aint..
- if you decide to live near industries these things will happen.
Dont complain about flies if you build next to a milkfarmer type of problem.
- these things happen now and then due to breakdowns and other unforseeable things that happens.
Over the long run they are a very small amount of pollution and health hazard.

• Haha
Reactions: T_690 and page2171

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I use to live near Smithfield Meat Processing plant.... Smelled like burning pigs all the time (Not burnt bacon either.)... did i Complain? No, because i lived near a Smithfield Processing plant

·
Registered
15,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No it aint..
- these things happen now and then due to breakdowns and other unforseeable things that happens.
While I agree that if you move next to a farm or an old factory, you are accepting the odors and normal problems.

But FCA put the plant in a residential area. The people lived there first.

Second, a modern paint line should NEVER release smells into the air unless there is an emergency situation. Mack has released smell on multiple occasions and has been fined because it is not allowed by law. I have been part of purchasing new paint lines and am familiar with the regulations in various parts of the country.

So, stop making excuses for a modern manufacturing plant that is violating the law.

·
Administrator
37,778 Posts
No it aint..
Actually, yes, if you live near industries, do complain, because otherwise they won't even try to keep it clean, and the bad smells will eventually be accompanied by mercury, lead, arsenic, etc.

If you ever look at how many worksites each OSHA inspector has to cover, you will realize your complaints are about all that cause any action.

While I agree that if you move next to a farm or an old factory, you are accepting the odors and normal problems.

But FCA put the plant in a residential area. The people lived there first.

Second, a modern paint line should NEVER release smells into the air unless there is an emergency situation. Mack has released smell on multiple occasions and has been fined because it is not allowed by law. I have been part of purchasing new paint lines and am familiar with the regulations in various parts of the country.

So, stop making excuses for a modern manufacturing plant that is violating the law.
A plant was there before anyone in the area, as far as I know, but as Erik said and as I said earlier, this is not normal and should not be considered normal.

BTW, I was pretty surprised at how silent the area around car assembly plants tends to be. Though that was also true when I worked at the Ford plant in 1988 or so.

·
Administrator
37,778 Posts
I went around the site a while ago. The engine plants were combined into an assembly plant, and there's another assembly plant where the engine plants stop. The whole area is behind a big grass covered berm. It was silent and the air was relatively clean when I was there. Very strange area, though. The roads are on a grid, for the most part, with no sidewalks or curbs, and you can just see them go on for miles until they end in a haze, with not a single soul out - and then there are a couple of very busy thoroughfares with lots of traffic and people everywhere. It's spooky.

No berm for JNAP...

Cloud Sky Plant Street light Road surface

Sky Plant Cloud Building Car

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2,709 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out why the neighborhood never complains about the smell that regularly comes from the Aevitas industrial waste recycling facility on Lycaste. That smell bothers me on a regular basis. I've never smelled anything crazy coming from Mack or Jefferson. Just Aevitas.

·
Administrator
37,778 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out why the neighborhood never complains about the smell that regularly comes from the Aevitas industrial waste recycling facility on Lycaste. That smell bothers me on a regular basis. I've never smelled anything crazy coming from Mack or Jefferson. Just Aevitas.
Maybe they do, but it's not picked up by the media for whatever reason. Industrial waste... hmmm... who's really involved in that industry again?

·
Registered
15,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it is true that the paint shop emissions are not being ducted to a regenerative thermal oxidizer, then this violates every protocol for a new paint shop I have ever been a part of.

This is 100% unacceptable on the part of FCA.

·
Administrator
37,778 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
What the heck FCA.

What a unforced error.

If the ducting was the issue. Then Stellantis owes the neighborhood a BIG apology. Plus should be buying some houses plus moving costs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts