Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because existing sources of vehicle reliability information left much to be desired, in late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research at TrueDelta.com. TrueDelta reports absolute stats like "trips to the shop" that make the differences between cars much clearer. Results are updated four times a year, so it's possible to provide reliability information on new models quickly. Also, any significant changes in a model's reliability become apparent quickly.

Thanks partly to the help of this forum and its owner, which I thoroughly appreciate, TrueDelta has already begun reporting results for some Chrysler models, including the 2007 Jeep Wrangler and (in November) the Patriot and Compass. We've just started collecting data on the 2007 Grand Cherokee, and other model years are close to the minimum needed to get started.

For all models and model years, more participants would be very helpful.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results for free.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Vehicle reliability research

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Collecting data on many recent years and models now, but certainly need more participants.

Auto reliability research -- need more Jeeps!

I recently added a Common Auto Repairs Database (CARDb) to the site. People posting common repairs can include a link to a forum thread discussing the problem. I hope this will make it easier for people to find this information, while helping to grow the forums that have been lending a hand with the research.

Common Auto Repairs Database (CARDb)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is 1997 too old? We own two.
No, 1997 is not too old. The older the vehicle, the less precise the results will be, because maintenance becomes a larger and larger factor.

But many people tell me they want data on older vehicles. So if 25 owners of a model sign up, I'll provide it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The August results will include two or three years each for the Liberty, GC, and Wrangler. Can't seem to get enough responses for the Commander, though enough owners are signed up...

Anyway, small sample sizes for most. More participants would help.

Vehicle reliability research

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Thanks mkaresh.
I entered my '07 Nitro after my trip to northern mich. last week. I was in 4wd all the way but the speed was kept down due to snow and ice conditions and averaged 22.5 mpg.
I just read the C.R. piece on "The Best and Worst" cars. I found their reporting rather hillarious. The very things they rip the Nitro for i find a big improvement over my '99 Grand Cherokee. Road & wind noise, ride, handling and seats. Heck, the thing is much quieter than our '08 PT and has a tighter turning radius. When i get in the PT i always think a window isn't up all the way or a door isn't closed tightly.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TrueDelta recently released updated Car Reliability Survey results. Repair rates are in terms of the number of successful repair trips per 100 vehicles per year.

For the Compass and Patriot:

2007: 51, about average

2008: 52, about average

For the Grand Cherokee:

2005: 53, about average, marginal sample size

2006: 52, about average, very small sample size

2007: 68, about average, small sample size

For the Liberty:

2004: 9, better than average; small sample size, and too low to be accurate

2005: 63, about average, marginal sample size

For the Wrangler:

2007: 48, about average

2008: 52, about average

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May, August, and November. With additional participants, we can provide more precise results and include more model years.

We now have a separate results page for each model that includes the results for competitors. They can be found here:

Car Reliability Survey results

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We have updated results to include owner experiences through the end of March. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

Compass / Patriot
2008: 47, about average
2007: 58, about average

Jeep Patriot / Compass reliability comparisons

Grand Cherokee
2007: 66, about average, marginal sample size
2006: 65, about average, very small sample size
2005: 32, better than average, very small sample size, actual repair frequency probably close to that for the 2006 and 2007

Jeep Grand Cherokee reliability comparisons

Liberty
2005: 86, about average, one response short of minimum for full result
2004: 37, better than average, small sample size, actual repair rate probably about average

Jeep Liberty reliability comparisons

Wrangler
2008: 61, about average
2007: 66, about average

Jeep Wrangler reliability comparisons

Sample sizes have been larger for the Compass / Patriot and the Wrangler, so it's not surprising that these results seem more accurate.

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts