Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
10,408 Posts
I experienced the same owning a Jeep: you meet all walks of life on the trails...and yes, a lot of posers in the city

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Aldo said:
I experienced the same owning a Jeep: you meet all walks of life on the trails...and yes, a lot of posers in the city
"Posers" or not, they are still legitimate Jeep owners. The idea of owning a "Jeep" is huge for people. That should not be taken away from them not should they be classified differently.

Mike

Reactions: SheltonBreeden

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Aldo said:
Not sure why a Jeep owner has to be looked down upon just because they may spend more time in the city than others. Why can't people just be happy that others are using their vehicles in whatever way they would like?

Reactions: Bill Sample

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
JKU12 said:
Not sure why a Jeep owner has to be looked down upon just because they may spend more time in the city than others. Why can't people just be happy that others are using their vehicles in whatever way they would like?
Well said.

Mike

·
10,408 Posts
Sorry to offend some sensibilities. But denying the obvious only helps justificate the ongoing notion that because "...most customers don't even take their Jeeps offroad..." it is okay to strive for mediocrity.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Pose how ever you wish,

SRT drivers who have never seen 120mph

Jeepers who only crawl over mall curbs

Jeepers who never remove the top & doors

Minivan owners with no kids in soccer.

Ram owners who are not tradesmen.

SUV owners who never chain up.

Rural 300 owners.

allow me to thank everyone who buys a product engineered and produced by Chrysler.

I will never get the 90 seconds back I spent on that article.

·
10,408 Posts
LOL...well said!!!

The point of the segment is valid, though: Jeep does cross the socio-economic lines unlike any other brand.

I just sold my 2012 JKUR to a rich family in Pasadena into serious offroading: they paid "cash" --with a Trust Fund check, no less, to replace their aging Land Cruiser.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Aldo said:
Sorry to offend some sensibilities. But denying the obvious only helps justificate the ongoing notion that because "...most customers don't even take their Jeeps offroad..." it is okay to strive for mediocrity.
Not offended at all.

I don't think anyone is advocating for mediocrity, regardless of whether their Jeeps are modified or not for trails.

·
10,408 Posts
There is a whole other thread on this very subject about the future of Jeep ...but we digress.

JTE said it best! We all are a "poser" at some level.

·
Registered
452 Posts
This is such a simple concept......nobody cares if "posers" like the brand. It's when the brand changes to accommodate posers that people get pissed. Wtf?

Nobody cares when grandma buys an SRT and never breaches 60 mph....its when an SRT comes out that can't top 70 mph that BRAND was compromised. What part of this do the bleeding hearts not get?

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Aldo said:
No one is "denying the obvious". The reality is that your perception is not the same as others.

That doesn't give you the right to judge.

Mike

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
what I loved best about listening to that segment: "oh my god--that was awesome!"

If thats not a positive for Jeep I'm not sure what would qualify.

·
Super Moderator
36,950 Posts
I guess I am in the "poser" crowd and far from alone. I looked at a lot of used 2007+ Wranglers, most were 100% stock, a few had oversized tires. The only time the vast majority of them were off road was to hit the used car lot.
The Wrangler was the only "convertible" that allowed me to have room for my dogs. The maneuverability and visibility are great in town and I can see why they are a popular vehicle in town Atlanta.

·
Registered
212 Posts
unclejjg said:
This is such a simple concept......nobody cares if "posers" like the brand. It's when the brand changes to accommodate posers that people get pissed. Wtf?

Nobody cares when grandma buys an SRT and never breaches 60 mph....its when an SRT comes out that can't top 70 mph that BRAND was compromised. What part of this do the bleeding hearts not get?
I would say the Jeep brand has not been compromised at all, todays wranglers are the most fuel efficient, powerful, roomy, capable, dependable wranglers ever made. If it wasn't for the 90% who never go offroad buying wranglers, they wouldn't make them at all.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Bionicrooster said:
I would say the Jeep brand has not been compromised at all, todays wranglers are the most fuel efficient, powerful, roomy, capable, dependable wranglers ever made. If it wasn't for the 90% who never go offroad buying wranglers, they wouldn't make them at all.
Funny how misinterpretation of a 15 year old survey becomes Urban Legend. The figure was 80% and it came from an old Daimler survey covering only the Grand Cherokee, not all Jeeps.
Back on topic, the Dirt Devils work closely with my club, Bear Valley 4x4, on the San Bernardino Forest, Adopt-A-Trail program. Nearly 100 Jeep and outdoor organizations work together as volunteers, contributing over 500,000 volunteer man hours. Worth over 11 million dollars in matching funds to help maintain our trails.
Not posers by any stretch of the imagination.

·
10,408 Posts
Mike V. said:
No one is "denying the obvious". The reality is that your perception is not the same as others.

That doesn't give you the right to judge.

Mike
You read too much into it, Mike. Lighten up.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Aldo said:
A nice little story about Forest Service volunteer probram and the value that Jeepers bring to forest conservation and public trail access. ;)

·
10,408 Posts
As is the case with any brand that stand for "something", be Mercedes (The Best or Nothing), BMW (The Ultimate Driving Machine), or Jeep (The Ultimate Offroad Machine or Nothing...?), the claim has to be substantiated with unique capability, over a long period of time, for the brand to develop a strong reputation.

By that definition most of us who buy into those brands are "posers" to some degree: the vast majority of Mercedes owners do not keep their cars long enough to appreciate the true longevity of their vehicles, just like the majority of BMW owners do not do anything more exciting that shuttle clients in their expensive cars, or Jeep owners pickup kids and groceries.

Nevertheless, that unique capability needs to be there, so that it feeds the reputation that gives the brand that allure that crosses socio economic lines.

MoparNorm said:
A nice little story about Forest Service volunteer probram and the value that Jeepers bring to forest conservation and public trail access. ;)
My dealer staff also volunteers to help maintain some trails on the San Bernardino mountains. I am sure they do it because they want to. But it is truly admirable, and earns them credibility among Jeep owners.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Aldo said:
Works both ways... You did not have to make the comment in the first place.

MoparNorm said:
Funny how misinterpretation of a 15 year old survey becomes Urban Legend. The figure was 80% and it came from an old Daimler survey covering only the Grand Cherokee, not all Jeeps.
Back on topic, the Dirt Devils work closely with my club, Bear Valley 4x4, on the San Bernardino Forest, Adopt-A-Trail program. Nearly 100 Jeep and outdoor organizations work together as volunteers, contributing over 500,000 volunteer man hours. Worth over 11 million dollars in matching funds to help maintain our trails.
Not posers by any stretch of the imagination.
Good stuff.

Mike

1 - 20 of 37 Posts