Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
392 Wrangler... might just be a concept. Problem with any V8 in a production Wrangler is it takes away all the impact crush space.
That could be improvised by having the engine crush down under the firewall instead of crush space

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Here is where competition will be good. Not a coincidence that Bronco is launching and they show this at the same time.

·
Mopar02
31 Posts
I think it's a concept. We never did get to see the Easter Jeep Safari concepts this year because of the virus.

Furthermore, I think they've said before the V8 fits--but leaves no room for crumple zones so it wouldn't be easy to pass crash tests.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Bronco who???

I hope Jeep has the guts on this one ti take into actual production..

Reactions: wilbur and tlc

·
Administrator
35,238 Posts
Bronco has one major advantage: it does not have to cross the Rubicon or do serious rock crawling. Not saying it can't, just saying Ford can make a truck that can blast through the sand rather than crawl over rocks. Yes, it has a great crawl ratio, but that doesn't mean it can do what Wranglers do, and not bend its frame.

I am NOT saying that the Bronco isn't capable, I _AM_ saying that Ford could make it less capable and not lose any sales - which would cut their manufacturing price and allow for better mileage or acceleration.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Not happening in a million years. What they could be doing is presenting a package that allows the swap to be done easier and using a cool concept to do it. AEV is also a possibility. This won't happen from the factory due to clearance and packaging concerns. These cars have to be worked on by techs and if the clearances are too tight, it would be hell to work on.

·
Jeepaholic
5,570 Posts
While I would love the option of getting a V8 in a Gladiator, I really doubt they are going to shoehorn one in from the factory. I'm thinking this is just another concept vehicle.

·
Registered
443 Posts
At this point... who even cares? Let's see some new product for Dodge and Chrysler.

But I would laugh so hard if they reveal this as a Mopar option for Jeep's, and it's just a stylized hood like in the photo. Nothing else. ;-)

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
While I would love the option of getting a V8 in a Gladiator, I really doubt they are going to shoehorn one in from the factory. I'm thinking this is just another concept vehicle.
I’d be happy with the 5.7. The 3.6 leaves me wanting more in the Gladiator.

Reactions: BEEAH and Zagnut27

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
The V8 in the Wrangler tease. The first time I heard this story was in 2004 or 05 at the Daytona race. Chrysler had a display there and I ran into a gentleman who was an engineer from them. He told me that a V8 was to be an option in the then new upcoming Wrangler and they were were testing them at that time. It would definitely add exactly what the Wrangler lacks at the moment, a shot of real adrenaline. A Gladiator with a Hemi would make others look like a toy.

·
Jeepaholic
5,570 Posts
I’d be happy with the 5.7. The 3.6 leaves me wanting more in the Gladiator.
I’d be happy with the 5.7 too, as it’s one reason why I’m also looking at a Rebel. At the end of the day, the 3.6 is probably still light years ahead of the 3.7 boat anchor I had in the Liberty, so to me it’d probably feel like a V8 anyway. Lol. Hopefully I can test drive a Gladiator when we go look at Durango’s...maybe around Christmas.

I wouldn’t mind the diesel option either. The only thing is I’ve never owned a diesel before. Driven yes, owned no.

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts

·
10,394 Posts
Jeepers were “clamoring” for a Wrangler diesel for decades. When FCA finally adds a diesel to JL it comes with a $60,000 price tag. Some Jeepers have been “clamoring” for a V8 option. I can’t see this one costing less than $70,000.

Besides, what happened to all those concerted efforts to shove 2.0T engines down people’s throats to gain 1.5 MPG in CAFE numbers...? Also, a 392 HEMI will make Wrangler tip the scales at 5,000 lbs, which will require stiffer suspensions and tighter handling and, perhaps, lower clearance, none of which will help a Jeep on the trail.

Jeepers have also been clamoring for a decent dealer experience, which would have been achievable for a fraction of the cost of trying to stuff a 6.4L HEMI into a JL. Chances are, though, Jeep managers can’t show their bosses any “higher margins” from treating customers like human beings.

Reactions: HotCarNut

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Right now the thing Jeep should be doing is put together an HFE option for the Gladiator. I don't know know if the Gladiator will get the V6 eTorque for 2021, but the Wrangler does. The diesel option is too much $$. Ram has offered various HFE packages both gas and diesel, rear and 4WD. The rear drive eTorque HFE package on the 5th generation seems to be vaporware.

A Gladiator HFE package should have the eTorque gas V6 and the LRR tires that the EcoDiesel Ram HFE models used. I think the current market conditions offer a need for such a value model.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts