Allpar Forums banner

121 - 140 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
This and the Chinese Compass unveil are it for this year. Which sucks, I really was hoping WL74/75 would start production in early 2021, it's looking more like Mid 2021.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
This and the Chinese Compass unveil are it for this year. Which sucks, I really was hoping WL74/75 would start production in early 2021, it's looking more like Mid 2021.
3 row Grand Cherokee unveil was planned for LA Auto Show. I think it was scheduled for late November. FCA communicated to dealers that it will be unveiled in LA. That was in early September. The very same day LA Auto Show was cancelled.

On global scale Wrangler 392 unveil means nothing. Compass MCA is far more important product as is all new Grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Gonna be honest.. when I made this thread.. I expected, at most... a concept vehicle.

I find a 392 Wrangler absurd, at best.
Gonna be honest.. when I made this thread.. I expected, at most... a concept vehicle.

Very true, but it isn't the first time Jeep has added a V8 to the wrangler.

Wil

·
Defender of Reality
2,941 Posts

In a 2-door version, I’d 100% agree. But given the weight of the JLU and the altitude in Denver, that 392 is a WELCOME addition. Especially in light of the problems with the diesels...

·
10,394 Posts
6.4L HEMI, reinforced frame, “heavy duty” D44s, 33” tires, lift...this us going to be a 5,500 lb beast.

·
Registered
284 Posts
This is really great news for Wrangler fans. They got now the 392. I hope this engine find its way to the Grand Cherokee trailhawk/Overland.

·
10,394 Posts
I doubt this is going to sell in significant numbers. It is a halo vehicle; that’s it.

FCA can I’ll afford to drag down its CAFE numbers any more than they already are. Premium pricing is going to keep sales low.

Having owned several 392-powered vehicles before, the reality is that driving a big honking HEMI is boring unless you are going fast. But speed limits and the police will conspire to allow you to enjoy what you got.

The vast majority of JL owners like myself will not bother with the 392. The 2.0T and 3.6 V6 are pretty competent.

The good news for all Wrangler owners is that this 392 will keep desirability for Wranglers high, even with Bronco on the market. The bad news is that it does absolutely nothing towards fixing JL’s many quality problems, nor improving the crummy dealership experience.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The 392 is the right engine. The 5.7 Hemi doesn't put out 400HP, it's WAY beyond overdue for a refresh. Its numbers are just not acceptable for a V8 anymore. It's in the vehicles it is because they don't have a high-output V6 (read: Turbo) in between the 300HP V6 and the 475HP V8.

I love the 5.7 Hemi for what it is, but without more stock power, I see it going away from the lineup and being replaced with the 6.4 across the board eventually. Unless a Turbo 6 comes out.

Reactions: HEMI345

·
Defender of Reality
2,941 Posts
In Denver, a 2.0 turbo should be fine.
Even turbos lose power at altitude - about 15% in Denver, more higher. Again, they’ll do the job, but the additional power and torque of the 392 are welcome.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
The 392 is the right engine. The 5.7 Hemi doesn't put out 400HP, it's WAY beyond overdue for a refresh. Its numbers are just not acceptable for a V8 anymore. It's in the vehicles it is because they don't have a high-output V6 (read: Turbo) in between the 300HP V6 and the 475HP V8.

I love the 5.7 Hemi for what it is, but without more stock power, I see it going away from the lineup and being replaced with the 6.4 across the board eventually. Unless a Turbo 6 comes out.
The 5.7L does have 400 lbs of torque though. It might have been the more logical choice but then why not go all the way...

Reactions: HotCarNut

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I doubt this is going to sell in significant numbers. It is a halo vehicle; that’s it.

FCA can I’ll afford to drag down its CAFE numbers any more than they already are. Premium pricing is going to keep sales low.

Having owned several 392-powered vehicles before, the reality is that driving a big honking HEMI is boring unless you are going fast. But speed limits and the police will conspire to allow you to enjoy what you got.

The vast majority of JL owners like myself will not bother with the 392. The 2.0T and 3.6 V6 are pretty competent.

The good news for all Wrangler owners is that this 392 will keep desirability for Wranglers high, even with Bronco on the market. The bad news is that it does absolutely nothing towards fixing JL’s many quality problems, nor improving the crummy dealership experience.
True, but that’s what we thought of the Hellcats and now 60000 later....

People know these kind of cars will go away and so they might want to grab one. Though I thought that 14 years ago when buying my SRT8. So what do I know... :)

Reactions: aldo90731

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
The goal isn't to sell a large number of these Wrangler 392's. The goal is to make $$$. Which, they will do. Relative engineering costs and execution of this model is peanuts (as with many of the other models recently debuted, or debuting), compared to what other manufactures are doing..GM, Ford.

In other words, Jeep is so well established and planted (as a brand and platform), each new edition is gravy. Compare that to all new platforms from competitors, which have a long long road to profitability - with their offerings..

Couple other thoughts; NOW, Jeep is - finally - taking it to the G Wagon (and) how fun is it going to be to floor that 392 in the dunes?..

·
10,394 Posts
True, but that’s what we thought of the Hellcats and now 60000 later....

People know these kind of cars will go away and so they might want to grab one. Though I thought that 14 years ago when buying my SRT8. So what do I know... :)
Yes, but Challenger is highly dependent on Hellcat, even defined by it. That’s not the case with JL and 392. Wrangler has so many more things going for it than 470 HP.

Besides, FCA had much more latitude with CAFE when Hellcat launched in 2014. That’s not the situation now; it’s been failing to achieve CAFE since 2017...and getting worse as sales mix continues to shift away from relatively fuel efficient crossovers towards higher-margin Wranglers, Gladiators, Grand Cherokees and Ram pickups.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Guys are taking 2.7L EcoBoost F-150s and are adding bolt-on parts with a tune which then give 500+ HP on a dyno. I can't help but to think that Jeep product team is well aware that the same engine is going to show up in the Bronco within the next 12 months. There are lots of enthusiasts out there right now planning their simple builds for 500 HP Broncos and they are salivating waiting for Ford to put them on sale. Surely the Jeep product team had this in mind when somebody said, "Hey, what if we dropped the 6.4 in the JL?"

Reactions: HotCarNut

·
10,394 Posts
No doubt.

But adding HP is not Wrangler’s “thing.” Turning them into off-road beasts is. Sure, some might choose to go that route. But that’ll likely remain a small fraction.

Where Bronco could outshine Wrangler is in how customizable the powertrain might be. But let’s not forget that Wrangler can now be had in 2.0T, 3.6 V6, 3.0TD, 392 V8...and soon in 4Xe PHEV. That is a wide range of powertrain offerings.

Also, judging by the looks of it, Wrangler will remain more easily customizable than Bronco on other fronts, given JL’s relatively simple front solid axle, and “easily” removable fenders, grille, bumpers, etc.

·
Defender of Reality
2,941 Posts
No doubt.

But adding HP is not Wrangler’s “thing.” Turning them into off-road beasts is. Sure, some might choose to go that route. But that’ll likely remain a small fraction.

Where Bronco could outshine Wrangler is in how customizable the powertrain might be. But let’s not forget that Wrangler can now be had in 2.0T, 3.6 V6, 3.0TD, 392 V8...and soon in 4Xe PHEV. That is a wide range of powertrain offerings.

Also, judging by the looks of it, Wrangler will remain more easily customizable than Bronco on other fronts, given JL’s relatively simple front solid axle, and “easily” removable fenders, grille, bumpers, etc.
Not only that, but I have to think the other goodies from the Rubicon 392 will make their way to other Jeep’s. Factory 2” lift, strengthened frame, etc. all of those are positives for the lineup that have nothing to do with the V8 under hood.

Reactions: aldo90731
121 - 140 of 162 Posts