Allpar Forums banner

141 - 160 of 162 Posts

·
10,397 Posts
Not only that, but I have to think the other goodies from the Rubicon 392 will make their way to other Jeep’s. Factory 2” lift, strengthened frame, etc. all of those are positives for the lineup that have nothing to do with the V8 under hood.
Very true. Just like Gladiator’s stronger, wider rear axle is making its way to certain Wranglers.

Jeep has a cross-model symbiotic relationship Ford is going to have a tough time replicating.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The 5.7L does have 400 lbs of torque though. It might have been the more logical choice but then why not go all the way...
The 6.4 may be nearly the same economy though, in a vehicle shaped like a brick where engine power and taller gearing can produce similar numbers to the 5.7 spinning faster to do the same work. If you're adding that much weight (alum V6 to cast iron V8) why not just pick the one that's nearly 200HP more?

·
Administrator
35,258 Posts
Good point, tomguy ... what they really need is to sell more Darts and Fiats. Oops, forgot one is dead and the other is moribund... (and they dropped the non-turbo model which I thought was clever at the time, and now I'm realizing the turbos have lousy mileage in comparison to the old base models. Funny thing is I liked the old 500, but felt it needed more reliability and a seat belt holder and UConnect 7 or 8.4, while Fiat felt it needed more power.)

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I doubt this is going to sell in significant numbers. It is a halo vehicle; that’s it.

FCA can I’ll afford to drag down its CAFE numbers any more than they already are. Premium pricing is going to keep sales low.

Having owned several 392-powered vehicles before, the reality is that driving a big honking HEMI is boring unless you are going fast. But speed limits and the police will conspire to allow you to enjoy what you got.

The vast majority of JL owners like myself will not bother with the 392. The 2.0T and 3.6 V6 are pretty competent.

The good news for all Wrangler owners is that this 392 will keep desirability for Wranglers high, even with Bronco on the market. The bad news is that it does absolutely nothing towards fixing JL’s many quality problems, nor improving the crummy dealership experience.
It would be really great if someone did an article on how FCA is doing when it comes to CAFE and what their plan moving forward is given how many V8s they still have in their lineup.
I know in Europe they purchased Tesla credits. Are they doing the same here? I recall a fine of $77 million a year ago.

One could argue they are missing small cars but then there also doesn’t seem to be much demand for those in this country.

·
10,397 Posts
It would be really great if someone did an article on how FCA is doing when it comes to CAFE and what their plan moving forward is given how many V8s they still have in their lineup.
I know in Europe they purchased Tesla credits. Are they doing the same here? I recall a fine of $77 million a year ago.

One could argue they are missing small cars but then there also doesn’t seem to be much demand for those in this country.
Toyota sells Tundras and Sequoias that deliver 12 MPG, RAV4 Hybrids that yield 40 MPG and Priuses that get 55 MPG.

A well diversified product strategy means they don't have to pay any fines or buy any carbon credits.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The 392 is the right engine. The 5.7 Hemi doesn't put out 400HP, it's WAY beyond overdue for a refresh. Its numbers are just not acceptable for a V8 anymore. It's in the vehicles it is because they don't have a high-output V6 (read: Turbo) in between the 300HP V6 and the 475HP V8.

I love the 5.7 Hemi for what it is, but without more stock power, I see it going away from the lineup and being replaced with the 6.4 across the board eventually. Unless a Turbo 6 comes out.
Engine masters just tested a stock 2017 5.7L from a junk yard, with dyno headers and no accessories it made 440hp, operator said it was making about 20hp more than an LS1 in the same configuration.

·
Registered
932 Posts
And the other thing is that from what I've been told for years, the vehicle cross-shopped against Wrangler the most is the Mustang GT convertible. Thing is, the Mustang GT convertible gives the open air experience and goes fast, but can't go off road. The Wrangler gives the open air experience and goes off road, but can't go fast. Imagine being on the Jeep team and seeing that you have the opportunity to make the Wrangler do all three! Sales should in theory be high!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If Jeep put the 5.7 in the wrangler, most would be asking why they didn't put the 6.4 in it...
Now, when will we see the 6,4 in the Ram 1500... :)

Wil

·
Jeepaholic
5,573 Posts
And the other thing is that from what I've been told for years, the vehicle cross-shopped against Wrangler the most is the Mustang GT convertible. Thing is, the Mustang GT convertible gives the open air experience and goes fast, but can't go off road. The Wrangler gives the open air experience and goes off road, but can't go fast. Imagine being on the Jeep team and seeing that you have the opportunity to make the Wrangler do all three! Sales should in theory be high!
Hopefully drivers don't try to corner in a 392 Wrangler like they can in a Mustang GT...I see enough...ahem...drivers...driving way too fast in Wranglers already (90 mph and above), I shudder to think of what they will try with a 392.

On a positive note, they supposedly fixed the steering issues, so at least there's a better chance they'll keep their rig on the road. Maybe not in their lane, but at least on the road.

Reactions: HotCarNut and tlc

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

That's why they are merging with PSA..

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Good point, tomguy ... what they really need is to sell more Darts and Fiats. Oops, forgot one is dead and the other is moribund... (and they dropped the non-turbo model which I thought was clever at the time, and now I'm realizing the turbos have lousy mileage in comparison to the old base models. Funny thing is I liked the old 500, but felt it needed more reliability and a seat belt holder and UConnect 7 or 8.4, while Fiat felt it needed more power.)
Fiat 500 turbo mileage? Just ask @TripleT. It seems that real life mileage is much better than EPA suggests.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts

FCA Conference Call are public. Everyone can listen them. Mike Manley has spoken about their future plans including date for full CAFE compliance in US. From what I remember he said by 2023.

In Europe it's by 2021. PSA is excluded.

Tesla deal will be kept as safe net.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Should I laugh now or later?

They're selling some 3.6 models for almost this much......
I've never seen a $75k Wrangler. Ever.

And if they don't keep the 392 Wrangler under $69k I think it'll sell at extremely low volume and won't serve its purpose which is to take wind out of the sails of the new Ford Bronco 2.7L EcoBoost.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've never seen a $75k Wrangler. Ever.

And if they don't keep the 392 Wrangler under $69k I think it'll sell at extremely low volume and won't serve its purpose which is to take wind out of the sails of the new Ford Bronco 2.7L EcoBoost.
The silly gladiator gets pretty damn pricey.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I am thinking we will see a 392 gladiator in the ‘22 model.
Wil

·
Registered
197 Posts
The Wrangler is the #1 purchased vehicle from people trading in all of the modern muscle cars and I think I know why, versatility. Modern muscle is AWESOME, but useless and cringe inducing (driving in salt, or sitting in your garage while you make hefty payments) from November until early May in a large part of North America. Where the wrangler can be used, fun and capable in winter, off road and lose the roof and doors in the summer.

I had a 392 charger, now I have a hopped up 4runner, same thing.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Engine masters just tested a stock 2017 5.7L from a junk yard, with dyno headers and no accessories it made 440hp, operator said it was making about 20hp more than an LS1 in the same configuration.
I don't subscribe since they went paywall, so I have not watched this since YouTube. Was it a factory ECM or was it aftermarket / tuned? They used to tune them, which sure, if you don't need to worry about emissions or longevity, you can get a big number on a dyno every time.

·
Administrator
35,258 Posts
The Wrangler is the #1 purchased vehicle from people trading in all of the modern muscle cars and I think I know why, versatility. Modern muscle is AWESOME, but useless and cringe inducing (driving in salt, or sitting in your garage while you make hefty payments) from November until early May in a large part of North America. Where the wrangler can be used, fun and capable in winter, off road and lose the roof and doors in the summer.

I had a 392 charger, now I have a hopped up 4runner, same thing.
Wouldn't the Grand Cherokee 392 really be a killer then? Especially the next gen version.

Problem is, every one of these, they need to sell two Pacifica Hybrids...

141 - 160 of 162 Posts