Allpar Forums banner

Jeep to launch electric Land Rover Defender rival by 2025 (Recon)

10K views 116 replies 26 participants last post by  codypet 
#1 ·
From the article:

The Recon will sit alongside the Wrangler, confirmed Jeep’s European boss, Antonella Bruno, but the two cars will have slightly different sizes and positions in the range.

“The Recon in Europe will be a white-space car,” said Bruno. “It’s a unique car, very boxy and very capable. It will sit in a lower part of the [market] segment to the Wrangler.”

Full article here:

Jeep to launch electric Land Rover Defender rival by 2025 | Autocar

Reactions: 12soldier
#77 ·
I have owned a number of solid axle 4x4's none had death wobble and lots of them were older with high miles. If the JL is really having death wobble regularly at 10k miles, it seems like there must be something seriously wrong with the design or the strength and durability of the parts used. At some point, a suspension redesign or newer components must be cheaper then rework. I still say given the history of the straight axle there is always some risk of death wobble but it shouldn't happen from the factory.

#89 ·
In the end, “quality” under FCA meant in most cases things work but for an unlucky percentage, you have a vehicle that has continuously frustrating issues or an outright lemon. Honestly, I can’t wait to ditch my current 2018 Ram Tradesman with its ongoing electronic issues that for over a year have proved elusive to diagnose and repair while getting worse. My 2012 Ram and 2018 and 2021 Durango’s were all relatively problem free (lost the water pump in my ‘12 at ~80k miles).

#95 ·
What’s frustrating to me as an old school DIY mechanic…..no one really NEEDS a 9 spd over complex transmission….a 5 or 6 spd auto is just fine!
and as far as death wobble when I bought my 98 Grand Cherokee I never heard of new live axle Jeeps having death wobble issues. There were well know mechanical issues (warped brake rotors, diff howl, clogged AC drains etc), but not death wobble. Just who is running this company?
Oh and about the horrible oil filter housing, I counted 5 oring s on the bottom of the housing and 4 seals for the oil cooler, in addition several casting plugs. 9 plus points of failure, even if the cap is never overtightened. A simple can filter, one. So answer me this engineers; how is THAT good engineering? They’re going backward with advanced engineering & alienating customers…..

Reactions: Erik Latranyi
#96 ·
Rumors on the forums today about a refreshed 2024 Wrangler about to be announced. But they seem to be unsubstantiated for now.

Reactions: Adventurer55
#103 ·
Is it possible that they make LED headlights standard?

#105 ·
$2000 cash on 2023 Wrangler 4xe already.

#114 ·
When I got mine the lot still had a bunch of 2022s on it. What's weird is at least for the Wrangler and the Wrangler 4xe, the dealer really didn't love the idea of dealing. In fact one of the other dealerships kept flat out telling me that spec of 4xe (with a hitch and the power top) would be impossible to find. And yea compared to the Regular Sport Wrangler, they were harder to find, but the dealer I got mine at had 3 or 4 and all the other dealers had at least 1.

#106 ·
I ran into an interesting discussion yesterday. The heavily condensed version is that nationwide there are 3X more 4xe Wranglers listed for sale on the used market than ICE only Wranglers. The belief is that most people took the tax credit to have instant positive equity, kept the Jeep a short time, then sold to make cash off the deal.

Seems like a good way to ensure that tax credits go away forever or stipulations are added.

#112 ·
If custimers are experiencing death wobble on stock Wranglers, I’m suspecting it’s either a manufacturing issue or a parts issue. Or is it a user issue? How are they using their Wrangler? Are the ones who have experienced issues using their Wranglers more aggressively than others, and therefore require more frequent monitoring and maintenance? If it’s happening on street-only vehicles, then that’s more concerning I think.

For Wranglers that have been modified, did they upgrade their suspension parts to account for the added weight and different geometry of bigger tires & wheels? From skimming through the Bronco forums, I see people breaking tie rods because they lifted their vehicle & put on bigger tires & wheels without upgrading the supporting structures to accommodate them. It’s the same with Wranglers. One poster on a forum said “you wheel until something breaks and then you upgrade” (paraphrasing). Lol.

Reactions: HotCarNut
#113 ·
If custimers are experiencing death wobble on stock Wranglers, I’m suspecting it’s either a manufacturing issue or a parts issue. Or is it a user issue? How are they using their Wrangler? Are the ones who have experienced issues using their Wranglers more aggressively than others, and therefore require more frequent monitoring and maintenance? If it’s happening on street-only vehicles, then that’s more concerning I think.

For Wranglers that have been modified, did they upgrade their suspension parts to account for the added weight and different geometry of bigger tires & wheels? From skimming through the Bronco forums, I see people breaking tie rods because they lifted their vehicle & put on bigger tires & wheels without upgrading the supporting structures to accommodate them. It’s the same with Wranglers. One poster on a forum said “you wheel until something breaks and then you upgrade” (paraphrasing). Lol.
Stock Wranglers on public roads with no off-road history and less than 10k miles on the odometer.

Reactions: HotCarNut
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.