Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
Yes, the underwater Wrangler BEV is interesting. Without need for any air, a Wrangler BEV could be 100% submerged.

I am not sure how big of a selling point this might be, but it shows one of the advantages of full-electric over ICE.

Autonomous off-road....will anyone trust the computer to drive a narrow trail with a thousand foot drop on the edges?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Yes, the underwater Wrangler BEV is interesting. Without need for any air, a Wrangler BEV could be 100% submerged.

I am not sure how big of a selling point this might be, but it shows one of the advantages of full-electric over ICE.

Autonomous off-road....will anyone trust the computer to drive a narrow trail with a thousand foot drop on the edges?
They actually could make an air independent propulsion system for an ICE Jeep, as long as we are in the realm of water tight vehicles. The do it for submarines, and waterproof Jeeps can't possibly be cheap, so why not.

·
Jeepaholic
6,014 Posts
Oh great, the Wrangler Rubicon Xtreme Recon Submersible Adventure Package....complete with waterproof STICKERS!!!!!! :LOL:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bring back some styling cues from the 70s Grand Wagoneer. This isn't going to be popular but the Grand Cherokee out there today looks like everything else... yawn.

·
Registered
1970 Plymouth Duster 340, 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4XE
26 Posts

My answer to people who prattle on about autonomous cars is "737 Maxx". Mic drop.

So, no. I won't trust it even on a city street.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
My answer to people who prattle on about autonomous cars is "737 Maxx". Mic drop.

So, no. I won't trust it even on a city street.
Lol I don’t think that’s as much of a mic drop as you think it is. We definitely have very long way to go before cars can handle off road or inclement weather situations though.

·
Registered
1970 Plymouth Duster 340, 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4XE
26 Posts
Lol I don’t think that’s as much of a mic drop as you think it is. We definitely have very long way to go before cars can handle off road or inclement weather situations though.
Well, I know a year ago all you heard about and read about were autonomous cars and how they'd be here soon. Then suddenly silence. Last article I read quoted an industry insider as saying they are still 20 years out as they have all sorts of issues to overcome. Inclement weather being one of them.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,734 Posts
I liked the Fox News report. The article quoted the CEO as saying they "may" make an underwater Jeep. The headline says they "will" make an underwater Jeep ;)

Headline writers everywhere tend to mix up the facts... I don't mean to pick on Fox News’ web site... just in case you wanted to see it yourself

·
Registered
310 Posts
Direct link to the video

Of note to me . The vehicle to vehicle charging for those concerned about getting stuck in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery. The vehicle to load charging (where they are powering their campsite with the jeep) Although both are offered by others are still good to see their committing to.

Also ‘ Mark Allen, director of Jeep exterior design.
"The only important piece is the power goes to all four wheels," Allen said. "Going into electric, we’ll have greater control and be able to send torque to individual wheels that we can't do now with a single power source. We can have up to four power sources — one for each wheel, even."’ Is a bigger deal than many think

·
Administrator
36,734 Posts
And... they can do it without the complex, expensive pieces they use now.

A former Chrysler leader was talking about this to me, just conversationally. "We used to have hundreds of engineers who did nothing but work on cams, valves, crankshafts, pistons... they're not going to be needed. It'll save a ton of money."

I'd say all that engineering would go into the batteries, but that's shared with vendors; and of course the integration and programming is done now, too. My guess is the automakers believe they will see a great deal of savings on engineers’ salaries and in reduced parts counts.

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
And... they can do it without the complex, expensive pieces they use now.

A former Chrysler leader was talking about this to me, just conversationally. "We used to have hundreds of engineers who did nothing but work on cams, valves, crankshafts, pistons... they're not going to be needed. It'll save a ton of money."

I'd say all that engineering would go into the batteries, but that's shared with vendors; and of course the integration and programming is done now, too. My guess is the automakers believe they will see a great deal of savings on engineers’ salaries and in reduced parts counts.
FCA was using suppliers for more and more. PSA wants more vertical integration. That is why they want to have the software in-house rather than outsourced, so they can control updates, changes, etc more directly.

·
Administrator
36,734 Posts
FCA was using suppliers for more and more. PSA wants more vertical integration. That is why they want to have the software in-house rather than outsourced, so they can control updates, changes, etc more directly.
Interesting. I could argue both ways now. Using suppliers does give you greater depth of expertise. Old Chrysler was moving in that direction - the cross-functional teams necessarily rob some depth from the expertise of the various functions. I still think the ideal is to use functional groups with two cross-functional projects at a time. That gives everyone a wider range of knowledge (in the really old days they'd send young engineers to three different types of group before they got their final job) and provides new cars that are more likely to be innovative, now and then, without hurting the company too much.

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
Interesting. I could argue both ways now. Using suppliers does give you greater depth of expertise. Old Chrysler was moving in that direction - the cross-functional teams necessarily rob some depth from the expertise of the various functions. I still think the ideal is to use functional groups with two cross-functional projects at a time. That gives everyone a wider range of knowledge (in the really old days they'd send young engineers to three different types of group before they got their final job) and provides new cars that are more likely to be innovative, now and then, without hurting the company too much.
PSA makes their own electric motors. They will package their own batteries. They will have full software control.

FCA subcontracted much of that out. 500e uses GKN electric motors.

Stellantis is trying to be masters of their own destiny in electrification and not end up like what happened in the chip shortage.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
PSA makes their own electric motors. They will package their own batteries. They will have full software control.

FCA subcontracted much of that out. 500e uses GKN electric motors.

Stellantis is trying to be masters of their own destiny in electrification and not end up like what happened in the chip shortage.
PSA doesn't make their own electric motors.

PSA doesn't assemble their batteries.

PSA doesn't make battery cells.

PSA has some plans to do it. But some of them already had not one but two postponements. And we are talking about mid 2020s at the best

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
PSA doesn't make their own electric motors.

PSA doesn't assemble their batteries.

PSA doesn't make battery cells.

PSA has some plans to do it. But some of them already had not one but two postponements. And we are talking about mid 2020s at the best
At least Stellantis has a roadmap for the future unlike the knee-jerk management we witnessed under FCA with few solid long-term plans and constantly changing priorities.

Reactions: 77 Monaco Brougham

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
Hey, we had five year plans. New ones, every six months, too. ;)
I should have said that at least the leadership now has a better track record of sticking with its plans.

I think the electrification plan is fairly set. Product details and other things are still in motion. We will learn more this fall or early 2022 when each brand lays out its plan.

Reactions: djsamuel
1 - 20 of 23 Posts