Allpar Forums banner

201 - 220 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Personally, I think Cadillac and Lincoln did a better job of not making the rear 3/4ths view look like a top heavy, 2D box. Jeep's choice of heavy amounts of trim (especially on top), an inset rear window (excusable if it actually rolled down), and tall windows with a flush bumper make it look somewhat goofy. The rear wheels end up looking smaller than they are and the design loses some of visual strength. I don't think its horrible but even the Grand Commander does this better in my opinion.

View attachment 80044
View attachment 80045
The inset rear window and chrome trim is a direct continuation of the design language from the side windows of the vehicle, as well as a nod to the old GW.

While I agree it looks top heavy from that angle, this appears to be in the lowest suspension setting for Park and in other photos/video looks much more sophisticated than GM/Ford products. Lack of a rear ledge is different but I imagine related to maximizing interior/cargo room

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The inset rear window and chrome trim is a direct continuation of the design language from the side windows of the vehicle, as well as a nod to the old GW.

While I agree it looks top heavy from that angle, this appears to be in the lowest suspension setting for Park and in other photos/video looks much more sophisticated than GM/Ford products. Lack of a rear ledge is different but I imagine related to maximizing interior/cargo room
The side windows aren't inset in the same way, as they lack the blackout trim behind the window glass. A full nod to the GW would've at least added some window rolling functionality. All the ugliness without any of the benefit is what I see. To me it looks top heavy in all rear angles- love to see this thing coming though, I really like the front.

Minor complaints overall I suppose as the Wagoneer has lots to offer elsewhere.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The side windows aren't inset in the same way, as they lack the blackout trim behind the window glass. A full nod to the GW would've at least added some window rolling functionality. All the ugliness without any of the benefit is what I see. To me it looks top heavy in all rear angles- love to see this thing coming though, I really like the front.

Minor complaints overall I suppose as the Wagoneer has lots to offer elsewhere.
You seem to be talking about the fact you can see the backside of the interior window trim, which is less noticeable from the side windows but still there.. I would think production vehicles would have a proper amount of tint to prevent what youre seeing on pre-production models.

A while back there were comments from Jeep on the lack of roll down window which I believe wouldn't have worked with the packaging on the hatch.. but you can clearly see the inspiration from the original Wagoneers with it inset with chrome trim

will have to wait and see it in the flesh, I have a feeling its a car that just doesn't photograph as well as it really looks

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
8,050 Posts
those chrome bits on the black wagoneer make it really obvious when they don't line up correctly.
They also highlight the tiny actual rear window and the insignificant wiper. lol

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Curious as to what you think needs to be resolved with the rear...
Perhaps resolving the issue of the tail lights lining up between the liftgate and the body of the car? To be fair the Challenger has been in production for how long, and I still see out of alignment Challenger taillights?

Honestly all black like this makes me like the look a little better.

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts
Yeah, not a big fan. I just showed my wife that pic in black and she said it looks like a hearse...and minivan. Not good. Granted I’m not high on the rear end of the other brand offerings either, nor am I looking to buy one of these behemoths. So...I guess our opinions really don’t matter anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It will do well. GM and Ford shouldn't be the only players in the game. I seen several YouTube reviews and it looks incredible. From what I've seen Jeep deserves a place at the table . Jeep has done their homework and though this is late to the game, it's what folks are looking for.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
I feel like the chrome trim makes it look cheesy and dated compared to the Cadillac, which looks like it is carved/molded.

But it is just one picture from one angle of one trim. I will wait, but I have yet to see a compelling reason to spend this money over the established Cadillac other than to get the Jeep name.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
8,050 Posts
Considering people spend $1000+ every year or two for a new phone to use social media on, big screens and more screens is about all you need to sell a vehicle to most buyers today.
Yeah it'll be a status vehicle for sure, unless it doesn't stand up to the toddlers and kids that will be riding back there.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
My opinion hasn't changed. Kind of funny how the rear wheels of the GW look small because of the relatively top heavy look the large glass gives it. The front end continues to look the business though.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Grand Wagoneer and Grand Cherokee L both look excellent in person. The Navigator a few booths away looked like a cheap toy in comparison.

View attachment 80232 View attachment 80233 View attachment 80234
View attachment 80230 View attachment 80231
That Wagoneer slathered in chrome is one of the ugliest SUVs I’ve ever seen. A tarted up box that discredits the Jeep name.

And I don’t think I will get used to that gaping rectangle below the Grand Cherokee’s grill. It’s like they had no idea what to do with all the front space and just gave up.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
That Wagoneer slathered in chrome is one of the ugliest SUVs I’ve ever seen. A tarted up box that discredits the Jeep name.

And I don’t think I will get used to that gaping rectangle below the Grand Cherokee’s grill. It’s like they had no idea what to do with all the front space and just gave up.
I believe the GW from the 80's had quite a bit of chrome on it...so maybe this buyer expects or wants that on their 100K rig?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

Who would have thought that Jeep, Cadillac, and Lincoln would have full size SUVs in the $100k price range, and that the Cadillac and Lincoln would have the most understated use of chrome trim? The use of chrome trim on that thing reminds me of a '58 Buick.

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts
I had to look close to see which was which...Grand Cherokee or Wagoneer. Maybe it’s easier in person? Still not a big fan, but they’re not bad. Just nothing I’d get excited over. Granted I’m no longer in the market for something with 3 rows anyway, so I doesn’t matter what I think. That ship has sailed.

·
Registered
119 Posts

It was probably the same designers that styled the DT Ram. In my eyes they did a poor job on the front of the truck. They threw away most of the well liked styling points from the previous gen Rams, just like was done with the GW.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Grand Wagoneer and Grand Cherokee L both look excellent in person. The Navigator a few booths away looked like a cheap toy in comparison.

View attachment 80232 View attachment 80233 View attachment 80234
View attachment 80230 View attachment 80231
I like the look of that Grey GW...though i have to ask...were they getting much attention? Doesn't look like it from your pictures...it looks like more people around the other established products..Ram pickup, Jeep Wrangler, Chally, .

201 - 220 of 268 Posts