Allpar Forums banner

241 - 260 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is a safe design. While I wish it had some cues from the last one, I understand why they didn't.
I am aware of some of the reasons people think they didn't, but I honestly don't understand. To talk up a vehicle return (that has a big following) for a decade and then have that vehicle look almost nothing like the vehicle you're trying to harken back to still blows my mind. I don't think anyone was expecting a retro design, but I was at least expecting an evolution, like the GC. This is not that.

·
Premium Member
3,921 Posts
Well, here's a question. Does a Chevy Suburban look like one from, say 1974? Or 1968? No it does not. With that said, the grille may have been the only thing that could've been done, and that's a big maybe. Safety standards have changed so much since 1963 that it would almost be impossible to use the last one's styling. I'm not a designer, so maybe my opinion is way off, too.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
Well, here's a question. Does a Chevy Suburban look like one from, say 1974? Or 1968? No it does not. With that said, the grille may have been the only thing that could've been done, and that's a big maybe. Safety standards have changed so much since 1963 that it would almost be impossible to use the last one's styling. I'm not a designer, so maybe my opinion is way off, too.
Suburban has been around non-stop since 1968. So, evolving the styling is expected. Grand Wagoneer has not been around.

The Grand Wagoneer is reviving a storied nameplate and making an emotional connection to the past through styling is important in branding.

If they wanted to just use the old name and tell everyone "forget what you knew", I guess that is fine. It just seems like a letdown for the most loyal customer who are waiting the past 10 years for the return of the Wagoneer.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Go look at a traditional Wagoneer. It had distinct styling that still told you it was a Jeep, but something different.

View attachment 80408
Wagoneer did not have distinct styling in the jeep family, you had The Wagoneer/Cherokee Chief which was essentially a 2 door variant. Both still looked "JEEP" and that goes true today. It'l Look Obviously Wagoneer just going by how large this thing is..

a Xt6 Has the same front end as the Escalade but you know its a Slade by how large it is.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
As @suzq044 has shown us, a few subtle cues while keeping the current nose goes a long way in making it look like the original GW. IIRC there was one version that just updated the D pillar and added a woodgrain color stripe, and another version that was two toned that made it look a lot closer to the original. Enough to evoke a callback to the original.

·
Premium Member
3,921 Posts
Suburban has been around non-stop since 1968. So, evolving the styling is expected. Grand Wagoneer has not been around.

The Grand Wagoneer is reviving a storied nameplate and making an emotional connection to the past through styling is important in branding.

If they wanted to just use the old name and tell everyone "forget what you knew", I guess that is fine. It just seems like a letdown for the most loyal customer who are waiting the past 10 years for the return of the Wagoneer.
I don't disagree, but this company is not a risk taker in the styling department. They used to be, but haven't been for at least a decade or more.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
I don't disagree, but this company is not a risk taker in the styling department. They used to be, but haven't been for at least a decade or more.
I agree that FCA delivered bland styling for nearly every vehicle launched.

Which is a shame since they have one of the greatest stylists in the auto industry as their head of design.

·
Premium Member
3,921 Posts
Since when was the Cherokee Launch styling and Renegade a bland design??
Cherokee's looks aren't what I'd call good. They can use the excuse that the V6 causes a snout, but other CUVs have V6 options and don't look as snouty as this. Renegade is ok and the Compass is the best of the three in the looks department.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
Since when was the Cherokee Launch styling and Renegade a bland design??
Did I write the word EVERY design or NEARLY EVERY design?

Two different meanings which answers your question.

Reactions: tlc and valiant67

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Go look at a traditional Wagoneer. It had distinct styling that still told you it was a Jeep, but something different.
Yeah, I know. Doesn't change my point. Maintaining brand recognition is easier if you're trying to sell to people who've never owned something if you don't go too far outside the current cue box. You're either trying to sell Grand Wagoneer, or you're trying to sell to people who used to own Grand Wagoneers. The former may be the better choice.

Reactions: Anuar Murawski

·
Super Moderator
37,863 Posts
For all the people praising the bland Grand Wagoneer with no heritage cues, would you be OK if Challenger launched in 2008 with no heritage styling? That’s an equivalent argument.

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts
For all the people praising the bland Grand Wagoneer with no heritage cues, would you be OK if Challenger launched in 2008 with no heritage styling? That’s an equivalent argument.
Look at how people have complained about Charger....4 doors alone seemed like the end of the world.

·
Premium Member
3,921 Posts
If the GW is a good well built SUV, it will sell in decent numbers. While it may not reach out and grab you, it appears to be a competent entry into the segment. If the Wagoneer is priced right a Ram entry won't be needed.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Charger had basically no heritage styling, sold well, spawned the Challenger that did and slowly gained Charger styling cues. Grand Wagoneer will come out, hopefully gain new Jeep buyers, existing Jeep buyers, then evolve with more classic styling cues....

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I am aware of some of the reasons people think they didn't, but I honestly don't understand. To talk up a vehicle return (that has a big following) for a decade and then have that vehicle look almost nothing like the vehicle you're trying to harken back to still blows my mind. I don't think anyone was expecting a retro design, but I was at least expecting an evolution, like the GC. This is not that.
Evolution like the GC ??? The Grand Wagoneer has been gone for 40+years The GC has been in production since 93 and has "evolved"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Evolution like the GC ??? The Grand Wagoneer has been gone for 40+years The GC has been in production since 93 and has "evolved"
Yes. The GC design language has evolved over the course of its existence, but is still recognizable as a GC. I think what most GW fans wanted was a modern GW design that would still be recognizable as such.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Yes. The GC design language has evolved over the course of its existence, but is still recognizable as a GC. I think what most GW fans wanted was a modern GW design that would still be recognizable as such.

Its only recognizable becuase it has been relevant for the last 30 years....... If the GC had stopped production back in 97 you would be saying the same thing about the new Grand Cherokee L

1620150518332.png
1620150612872.png
1620150952320.png
1620151030980.png

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,198 Posts
JGC was a clearer path till the current models. Looking at it now, I wonder about that massive "second grille" / black rectangle, and why they put the turn signals (or are those front amber lights?) on top of, instead of below, the headlights. That always looks wrong to me.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
On the daily Wagoneer advertisements I see on Facebook, the "comments section" echo exactly what you are saying. A very lukewarm reception and shocked at the price.

241 - 260 of 268 Posts