Allpar Forums banner
321 - 340 of 368 Posts

·
Super Moderator
38,573 Posts
You can almost always tune for better fuel economy with premium, and it almost never makes up for the difference in the price of the fuel. Sometimes they prefer to tune for more power instead of better fuel economy, that is the tradeoff.
The company is going to tune to reduce or eliminate fines whenever possible, even if that makes the buyer run more expensive gasoline.

Reactions: tlc

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
The company is going to tune to reduce or eliminate fines whenever possible, even if that makes the buyer run more expensive gasoline.
That certainly explains the 6.4 running premium to avoid the gas guzzler tax. The 2.0T and 1.3T run on regular, even though they might save some money on Tesla credits if they ran on premium. I think they got burnt with the 1.4T running premium in economy cars. Most people won't buy that.

·
Super Moderator
38,573 Posts
2.0T was premium when it debuted on the 2018 new Wrangler. For 2019 it was rated with regular.

·
Super Moderator
38,573 Posts
So, why was the Wrangler 2.0T re-rated for regular? Jeep desperately wanted the slightly better EPA ratings of the 2.0T over the V6 in 2018 so they made a bunch of 2.0T Wranglers. But they didn’t sell well because the cost of premium meant you were spending more to fuel a 2.0T than the 3.6 but the power numbers and driving expert wasn’t particularly better for the 2.0T over the 3.6.

Reactions: page2171

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Well it turns out I was very wrong on the gearing. The rear gear on the Wagoneer is a 3.92. That is probably a huge factor in sucking the fuel economy down. Mainly because, especially in my Durango, 8th gear is not tall enough for optimal highway cruising rpms. I think the same engine with a 3.09 gear like the 392 L cars have, would net me an additional 2mpg on my highway cruise in my Durango SRT. But, I still get right around 20mpg at normal highway speeds. Even can get almost 11mpg towing my camper, which is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
So, why was the Wrangler 2.0T re-rated for regular? Jeep desperately wanted the slightly better EPA ratings of the 2.0T over the V6 in 2018 so they made a bunch of 2.0T Wranglers. But they didn’t sell well because the cost of premium meant you were spending more to fuel a 2.0T than the 3.6 but the power numbers and driving expert wasn’t particularly better for the 2.0T over the 3.6.
Strangely enough the 2018 and 2019 had the same fuel economy numbers despite the switch to regular gas.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Well it turns out I was very wrong on the gearing. The rear gear on the Wagoneer is a 3.92. That is probably a huge factor in sucking the fuel economy down. Mainly because, especially in my Durango, 8th gear is not tall enough for optimal highway cruising rpms. I think the same engine with a 3.09 gear like the 392 L cars have, would net me an additional 2mpg on my highway cruise in my Durango SRT. But, I still get right around 20mpg at normal highway speeds. Even can get almost 11mpg towing my camper, which is pretty impressive.
The 5.7L Durango's come with 3.09 rear gear and it's a dog. Highway 22 mpg. I'd take your 3.70 gear all day and give up a couple mpg for better response and towing. Actually the 3.45 rear gear is the perfect fit. Which I see is what they chose for the GC-L 5.7L hemi's.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
The 5.7L Durango's come with 3.09 rear gear and it's a dog. Highway 22 mpg. I'd take your 3.70 gear all day and give up a couple mpg for better response and towing. Actually the 3.45 rear gear is the perfect fit. Which I see is what they chose for the GC-L 5.7L hemi's.
I didn't have a problem with the gear ratio in my 2014 R/T. Then again, I did put a custom aftermarket tune on it, along with some other modifications, and the Tazer (for RWD mode). Then again, I do have an SRT now, so maybe I DID have a problem with it subconsciously.

·
Jeepaholic
6,163 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
😂 I hate auto correction.

‏**Rumor:
inline 6 engine, 510 hp, 720 nm - will be available on the GW.
510hp/530lb ft would would be quite remarkable out of a 3.0tt...I haven't seen one with those power ratings. That's more akin to V8 TT power ratings. Perhaps with a hybrid motor...

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
510hp/530lb ft would would be quite remarkable out of a 3.0tt...I haven't seen one with those power ratings. That's more akin to V8 TT power ratings. Perhaps with a hybrid motor...
Well, the Alfa V6 2.9 TT gets 530 bhp from a smaller displacement in the GTAm. (The “regular” tune in the Quadrifoglio models is 505bhp)

That torque figure is impressive, though: the torque for the Alfa motor is “only” 600 Newton-metres (443 lb ft).

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Well, the Alfa V6 2.9 TT gets 530 bhp from a smaller displacement in the GTAm. (The “regular” tune in the Quadrifoglio models is 505bhp)

That torque figure is impressive, though: the torque for the Alfa motor is “only” 600 Newton-metres (443 lb ft).
And I’d imagine the somewhat laggy, heavily boosted nature of that motor wouldn’t be a great fit for the GW.

·
Registered
184 Posts
And I’d imagine the somewhat laggy, heavily boosted nature of that motor wouldn’t be a great fit for the GW.
Would the combination of an electric turbo/supercharger (make use of that 48v electrical system!) and an e-Torque like system eliminate any lag?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Would the combination of an electric turbo/supercharger (make use of that 48v electrical system!) and an e-Torque like system eliminate any lag?
Oh yes, of course. Like I said, not many power plants outside of that particularly high strung motor in the Alfa are putting out those numbers from 3 liters. Those power figures are similar to most manufacturer’s V8tt power plants. Not to say Stellantis can’t be a trailblazer, but color me suspicious when Mercedes uses a great 3.0 I6 that’s turbocharged with an electric supercharger that doesn’t put out that much power.

I’m a bit skeptical to say the least.

321 - 340 of 368 Posts