Allpar Forums banner
341 - 360 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Not to say Stellantis can’t be a trailblazer, but color me suspicious when Mercedes uses a great 3.0 I6 that’s turbocharged with an electric supercharger that doesn’t put out that much power.
It's not an issue to put that much power from a V6. Actually it's easier task than put it from an Inline 6. No to mention that Italian V6 goes all the way to 625 HP.

Turbo lag or better said lack of torque down low is something else. Just look at GME T4 HO from Italian side of FCA which is not yet available in US but it will be with Grecale. Electric supercharger and max torque of 450 Nm at just 1500 rpm.

From what I know, actually it wasn't hard to find, FCA R&D in Modena had worked on 3.0 V6 with 4th gen ZF 8HP80 MHEV. Models in question were Giulia, Stelvio, next gen GranTurismo and GranCabrio...

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Hey, I’ll gladly believe it when I see it. Would love to see the I6 putting out that power in the GW but I remain skeptical.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
The Mercedes six is part of a modular family too, and its fours (M260, M264 I4) are a little behind GME in specific power and torque. But the GME I6 is not just another two cylinders: displacement per cylinder is slightly different too.

I could just about believe the "500bhp" bit with a lot of boost, but the 700 Nm sounds the result of a team effort...

·
Registered
407 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Not in the giulia quad....power delivery is very linear unlike the m3.

Was talking about the GTA, but then Car and Driver has noted lag in the Quad in the past. Some drivers are more sensitive to it than others I guess.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A 6 can be a Hemi. It is about the cylinder head not the cylinder count.
Very true! Google the Australian Hemi 6. Made from 1970-1981 in 3 displacements (3.5L - 4.3L). Would love to see a smaller 3.5L Hemi, with a turbo or supercharger. Can easily make upwards of 400+ HP, and lots of torque.

·
Registered
14,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #350 ·
Sure...... lets devalue then name "Hemi" the same way we did with "C" and the term Limited:rolleyes:
In the past 20 years, Hemi has meant V8. That has been established into the market's muscle memory.

Go ask ordinary people what they think of Hemi and it will be V8.

In marketing, that association is highly valued.

To squander that value by using the name on an inline 6 is stupidity. I hope the new management cares more for the value of these things than the past management.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sure...... lets devalue then name "Hemi" the same way we did with "C" and the term Limited:rolleyes:
If we use terminology correctly and not how marketing wants us to think Hemi is simply short for Hemispherical, which is referring to combustion chamber shape. They could make a 1 cylinder or 100 cylinder engine. If they use the same overall shape for the combustion chamber it will be a Hemi regardless of cylinder count, arrangement or displacement.

Your unwaivering logic path is flawed.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
If we use terminology correctly and not how marketing wants us to think Hemi is simply short for Hemispherical, which is referring to combustion chamber shape. They could make a 1 cylinder or 100 cylinder engine. If they use the same overall shape for the combustion chamber it will be a Hemi regardless of cylinder count, arrangement or displacement.

Collar Bow tie Tie Beard Dress shirt

·
Registered
14,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #355 ·

They have not used a hemispherical combustion chamber for decades.

The Hemi name is a brand now, not an engineering feature.

·
Registered
14,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #357 ·
Agreed it's a marketing gimmick now but the term still is short from hemispherical.
Your post was that we use terminology correctly and not how marketing wants us to think and now you admit Hemi is a marketing gimmick.

Hemispherical chambers are not efficient by today's standards. There will be none created.

The Hemi name is a brand that should be protected and not just slapped on anything. That was @CDJSalesPro's point.

Reactions: Adventurer55

·
Registered
41 Posts
Your post was that we use terminology correctly and not how marketing wants us to think and now you admit Hemi is a marketing gimmick.

Hemispherical chambers are not efficient by today's standards. There will be none created.

The Hemi name is a brand that should be protected and not just slapped on anything. That was @CDJSalesPro's point.
I used poor wording. I agree it is the public perception and marketing uses it. The term was coined from hemispherical.

Is Hemi actually a brand? Didn't know that. Ive never seen any Hemi branded products other than badges and engines. Isn't it just trademarked and not an actual brand?

Not going to speak on the design efficiency it's irrelevant to the topic, original technology came out what 70 years ago? I would certainly hope there are more efficient options.

Either way, we can split hairs all we want. The term came from the chamber design and I'll stand by my belief unless proved wrong by documentation.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I used poor wording. I agree it is the public perception and marketing uses it. The term was coined from hemispherical.

Is Hemi actually a brand? Didn't know that. Ive never seen any Hemi branded products other than badges and engines. Isn't it just trademarked and not an actual brand?

Not going to speak on the design efficiency it's irrelevant to the topic, original technology came out what 70 years ago? I would certainly hope there are more efficient options.

Either way, we can split hairs all we want. The term came from the chamber design and I'll stand by my belief unless proved wrong by documentation.
You do realize you are posting on " Allpar" A Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram enthusiast site. 90% of the posters on this site know that "Hemi" came from hemispherical combustion chamber. You are are not educating us...lol The facts are the term "Hemi" is now and has been for almost two decades been short for V8 in our product.....https://youtu.be/0byAKiwCBfo

341 - 360 of 368 Posts