Allpar Forums banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

Jeepaholic
No, I don't think that. What makes you think a change in architecture necessitates a large enough change in dimensions that existing Durango customers wouldn't want to upgrade?

But if it does, the Grand Cherokee L is available to satisfy those customers.
Existing Durango customers may not want to upgrade based on pricing alone. Durango currently starts at $31765 for a RWD SXT, and $45305 RWD RT and $47805 for Citadel. What one customer just paid for a RT or Citadel, now only gets them a SXT. Do they want to shell out an extra $20k or so to get the same trim level? You may get some, but I seriously doubt many will want to do that, especially since the market segment isn鈥檛 that big to begin with, and for good reasons...most people don鈥檛 want a vehicle that large nor do they want one that expensive. They may be happy to buy on the used market, but that doesn鈥檛 help Stellantis.

Registered
A BOF SUV is a truck. The FCA marketing concepts are dead.
Just because a Vehicle is BOF. does not make it a Truck. There is a Company that makes a Minivan that still looks like a Minivan, but its BOF...

IF FCA could a make a "Crossover" out of a 4x4 SUV platform, could make a AWD SUV out of a BOF Platform.

Registered
A Ram SUV fits right in with their image. DT isn't a work truck anymore. DS fills that. So it could slip in under Wagoneer quite nicely. Durango could stay right where it's at, until they move it to the new GC platform.

Registered
An economy seven passenger CUV will be available in 2023 or 2024 from Chrysler - think Journey replacement size, it will be a bit smaller than outgoing unibody Durango. The unibody Durango will end production around that same time, and the BoF Durango will commence production to compete against the Tahoe/Suburban for fleet/government sales, which is a very important segment for the WS financial viability. There will also be performance variants of the BoF Durango.

Holy moley, are any of you actually reading this site? The next version of Durango in 23 or 24 is going to the DT platform - it鈥檚 not going to Ram, it鈥檚 not going to get Grand Cherokee L鈥檚 platform. It鈥檚 going to play a very important role in competing against the Tahoe and Suburban while protecting Wagoneer鈥檚 margins but not encroaching on it.

I鈥檒l say it again - if you think this company is ever returning to what it was in the 90s from a pricing standpoint, I would advise following a different company.

Registered
What? Body on frame Durango slots below Wagoneer just like the Tahoe slots below the Yukon.

Different interior, different bumpers, different looks, performance oriented with a Hellcat engine option.

You guys should be more in tune with this, it鈥檚 pretty obvious at this point.
No, it is not obvious given how the company has been run until now.

The discounting of Renegade, Compass and Cherokee did not leave room for Dodge or Chrysler CUVs. The Jeep "premium" was not reality and the discounts left the other brands with a much more difficult justification for their own models.

You should know this by now.

Registered
A Ram SUV fits right in with their image. DT isn't a work truck anymore. DS fills that. So it could slip in under Wagoneer quite nicely. Durango could stay right where it's at, until they move it to the new GC platform.
Yes, and they could share most of the DT interior for the Ramcharger, reducing costs for both.

Reactions: Adventurer55

Registered
I鈥檒l say it again - if you think this company is ever returning to what it was in the 90s from a pricing standpoint, I would advise following a different company.
The company needs to prove that because, up until today, they are discounting "premium" brands like crazy to keep volumes up.

Registered
No, it is not obvious given how the company has been run until now.

The discounting of Renegade, Compass and Cherokee did not leave room for Dodge or Chrysler CUVs. The Jeep "premium" was not reality and the discounts left the other brands with a much more difficult justification for their own models.

You should know this by now.
Even with discounts, those vehicles are still profitable. Just not as much as a Grand Cherokee.

None of what you鈥檙e hoping for is going to happen.

Super Moderator
Existing Durango customers may not want to upgrade based on pricing alone. Durango currently starts at $31765 for a RWD SXT, and $45305 RWD RT and $47805 for Citadel. What one customer just paid for a RT or Citadel, now only gets them a SXT. Do they want to shell out an extra $20k or so to get the same trim level? You may get some, but I seriously doubt many will want to do that, especially since the market segment isn鈥檛 that big to begin with, and for good reasons...most people don鈥檛 want a vehicle that large nor do they want one that expensive. They may be happy to buy on the used market, but that doesn鈥檛 help Stellantis.
Yes, that鈥檚 why I said they must undercut the Tahoe and make a value play or they will alienate many current Durango customers.

Registered
Even with discounts, those vehicles are still profitable. Just not as much as a Grand Cherokee.

None of what you鈥檙e hoping for is going to happen.
Sorry, but large, global companies do not change the way they do things in a moment because there is a new name on the building.

If the discounting was ended for February, the layoffs would be massive due to lack of volume.

Reactions: Tony K

Registered
Yes, that鈥檚 why I said they must undercut the Tahoe and make a value play or they will alienate many current Durango customers.
A smart value-play is to never undercut pricing, but to offer more content at the same price.

Registered
Sorry, but large, global companies do not change the way they do things in a moment because there is a new name on the building.

If the discounting was ended for February, the layoffs would be massive due to lack of volume.
You're assuming the pricing doesn't factor in discounts. You are wrong. This is why average vehicle ASP in the US has skyrocketed - this is not the same automotive planning that existed ten years ago. North America EBIT is at 13%, and it's getting close to 15%. Tell me - when in its history did Chrysler ever have 10%+ EBIT?

If you're going to buy a US made vehicle, in a decent trim level, it's going to be 40K or so.

There's a reason why the vehicles you've cited (absent Cherokee, which has had multiple week+ long plant layoffs to rightsized cost with demand) are built in Mexico.

When the recession comes, the same vehicles will still be profitable (with the regular vehicle programs accounting for the vast majority of profit), just less so with discounts. It's all been factored in with the existing pricing.

Registered
An economy seven passenger CUV will be available in 2023 or 2024 from Chrysler - think Journey replacement size, it will be a bit smaller than outgoing unibody Durango. The unibody Durango will end production around that same time, and the BoF Durango will commence production to compete against the Tahoe/Suburban for fleet/government sales, which is a very important segment for the WS financial viability. There will also be performance variants of the BoF Durango.

Holy moley, are any of you actually reading this site? The next version of Durango in 23 or 24 is going to the DT platform - it鈥檚 not going to Ram, it鈥檚 not going to get Grand Cherokee L鈥檚 platform. It鈥檚 going to play a very important role in competing against the Tahoe and Suburban while protecting Wagoneer鈥檚 margins but not encroaching on it.

I honestly don't see how you can guarantee that. While there may be another Ram based bof SUV it could just as well be named Ram. Tavares may change some minds now that he's in charge. Besides, a bof Durango doesn't fit Dodge's brand image like the current Durango does.

Registered
I'm confident in what I wrote - the success of the WS program is tied to stealing Tahoe / Suburban .GOV sales. The .GOV sales cannot and will not come from a Jeep model (to protect Jeep margins) - it will be a Dodge.

Although who knows with that Biden EV announcement yesterday, maybe they'll be flexible and allow PHEV variant .GOV sales.

Super Moderator
A smart value-play is to never undercut pricing, but to offer more content at the same price.
And that same price would be around $20k more than the current Durango, which would be an even tougher sell.

Registered
Just because a Vehicle is BOF. does not make it a Truck. There is a Company that makes a Minivan that still looks like a Minivan, but its BOF...

IF FCA could a make a "Crossover" out of a 4x4 SUV platform, could make a AWD SUV out of a BOF Platform.
All true SUVs are trucks, all minivans are trucks. BOF has nothing to do wiht the definition.

41 - 60 of 105 Posts