Allpar Forums banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I think it's that flexibility that your proposed dakota has that may undermine the Jeep.

Jeep has very few options to click. They are all 4wd, and most of the trims are a difference of materials not capability, rubicon and mojave excluded. Plus the Jeep price tag.

Dakota arguably offers more. By allowing rwd versions, it should tow more, have more body configurations, and different drivetrain options. And will probably be cheaper with no off-road duty suspension.. Even if it's street oriented, i think the dakota would win at least 50% of the time.

Here's another idea.. speaking of comanche.. what about if they actually produced that little renegade based baby truck?
They do produce a little Renegade based pickup. It is called the Fiat Toro, and you can't get one here.

·
Registered
13,424 Posts
They have the Ram 1000 already in Mexico and South America......

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
...more commonly called the FIAT Toro. Toro is much longer wheelbase than the Comanche concept (it's 16" longer than a Renegade), but it's a double-cab which means the overall bed is shorter.

A picture always helps:

The problem with Comanche as shown is that it's a two-seater, and that would limit its sales. Making it a two-row would then mean losing the bed length.

·
Registered
13,424 Posts
...more commonly called the FIAT Toro. Toro is much longer wheelbase than the Comanche concept (it's 16" longer than a Renegade), but it's a double-cab which means the overall bed is shorter.

A picture always helps:

The problem with Comanche as shown is that it's a two-seater, and that would limit its sales. Making it a two-row would then mean losing the bed length.
The Toro/Ram 1000 four door has similar interior space to a Jeep Compass, which is competitive in this segment.

The Ford Maverick will have a slightly smaller interior space to a Ford Escape.

I agree with @KrisW that it must be a four-door to compete in the compact pickup segment.

If they do some modest work on the Toro/Ram 1000 (better engine) for the US market, it would allow Stellantis to have an offering quickly, rather than being late to the party.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
8,046 Posts
They do produce a little Renegade based pickup. It is called the Fiat Toro, and you can't get one here.
I am aware of that; I simply meant to go compact rather than midsize, and use the renegade for styling. Definitely agree with the 4-door being a necessary option; but maybe go Rampage concept with it to extend bed space as needed (having a mid-gate, etc).. I really do think it would sell. Especially if it was a little Jeep or Ram. Could even call it the Ram 50 in the US.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I am aware of that; I simply meant to go compact rather than midsize, and use the renegade for styling. Definitely agree with the 4-door being a necessary option; but maybe go Rampage concept with it to extend bed space as needed (having a mid-gate, etc).. I really do think it would sell. Especially if it was a little Jeep or Ram. Could even call it the Ram 50 in the US.

That Rampage concept was actually full sized, the Toro is midsize.

"It was as wide as a Dodge Ram, as long as a Dodge Dakota, with a unitized body and independent rear wheel suspension - all matching the first Dodge Rampage, which was based on the Omni."

Compact: Ram 50 184.6" x 65.0" (BOF) Rampage 183.7" x 66.8" (Unibody)
Midsize: 1987 Dakota 187.5" x 68.4" (BOF) Toro 193.5" x 72.6" (Unibody)

·
Super Moderator
37,701 Posts
"It was as wide as a Dodge Ram, as long as a Dodge Dakota, with a unitized body and independent rear wheel suspension - all matching the first Dodge Rampage, which was based on the Omni."
The omni based Rampage did not have an independent rear suspension. It had a beam (actually a tube) rear axle.

Reactions: David S

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
8,046 Posts
That Rampage concept was actually full sized, the Toro is midsize.

Compact: Ram 50 184.6" x 65.0" (BOF) Rampage 183.7" x 66.8" (Unibody)
Midsize: 1987 Dakota 187.5" x 68.4" (BOF) Toro 193.5" x 72.6" (Unibody)
I just meant the features of the concept and showing an example, not actually making the concept. Lol

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Ram, the brand is almost as hot as the Jeep brand here in the US. There was talk of expanding the brand worldwide, but like most things FCA talked about, that's mostly what it is, talk. They could sell a new Dakota, the Toro, Americanized, could be built in Toluca and sold as a Ram here as well. They could even expand into the 6500/7500 range now that they have a successful commercial lineup. Maybe things will begin to change now that the merger is complete.

·
Registered
352 Posts
we know that WS production should be in Q1 2021, while the WL is for Q3 2021.
Except WL, still no MSRP for the Wagoneer! But I am not surprise :)

·
Registered
13,424 Posts
we know that WS production should be in Q1 2021, while the WL is for Q3 2021.
Except WL, still no MSRP for the Wagoneer! But I am not surprise :)
392 Wrangler First Editions did not get pricing until after they were built and ready to ship!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Jeep® Will Unveil Its New Wagoneer Portfolio Of Vehicles, Next Week! - MoparInsiders
The Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer should be offered with a wide range of powertrain lineups. We expect that the award-winning 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 with eTorque mild-hybrid capability will be standard on Wagoneer models. The 5.7-liter HEMI V8 with eTorque mild-hybrid system will be optional on Wagoneer and standard on Grand Wagoneer models. This fall, another powertrain will join the lineup with the introduction of the all-new Global Medium Engine family turbocharged inline-6-cylinder also called the GME-T6. A fourth powertrain will join the lineup sometime in 2022, which will include a plug-in hybrid (PHEV) system. All powertrains should be backed with 8-speed automatic transmissions.
While the Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer will offer three-rows of seating, the Jeep brand will indeed introduce long-wheelbase models of both vehicles in 2022. Those models will compete with vehicles like the GMC Yukon XL, Cadillac Escalade ESV, and Lincoln Navigator L.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts