Allpar Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed that the Wrangler has sold nearly 119,000 units so far this year (Q1 and Q2), which makes it the best selling Jeep vehicle.

Very awesome to see the vehicle that automotive publications perennially talk trash about doing so well. It continues to be the "alpha" dog in the lineup.

Jeep Gladiator sales are up over 40% compared to last year as well which is great to see. I helped pad that number last month. :)

·
Well-Known Jeeper
2,970 Posts
Wrangler availability is much better than other models that were more drastically affected by chip shortages. Grand Cherokee is about to get a makeover, so some buyers may be holding off. But it's still a good thing for the Wrangler to be the best selling Jeep. It serves to keep the brand managers focused on what Jeep really is, and should be.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I just noticed that the Wrangler has sold nearly 119,000 units so far this year (Q1 and Q2), which makes it the best selling Jeep vehicle.

Very awesome to see the vehicle that automotive publications perennially talk trash about doing so well. It continues to be the "alpha" dog in the lineup.

Jeep Gladiator sales are up over 40% compared to last year as well which is great to see. I helped pad that number last month. :)
It is really more a comment on the sad state of the Renegade, Compass and Cherokee. The cheaper vehicles should sell more if they were competitive.

Also note well a compact 2 door and midsize 4 door are both reported as one model, Wrangler. Jeep isn't alone in this fuzzy math, Nissan combines Rogue and Rogue sport sales.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It is really more a comment on the sad state of the Renegade, Compass and Cherokee. The cheaper vehicles should sell more if they were competitive.

Also note well a compact 2 door and midsize 4 door are both reported as one model, Wrangler. Jeep isn't alone in this fuzzy math, Nissan combines Rogue and Rogue sport sales.
The Rogue and Rogue Sport are entirely different vehicles that share a name, much like the Bronco and Bronco Sport. The Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited are largely identical. One's longer because it's got two additional doors. But most parts are interchangeable.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
The Rogue and Rogue Sport are entirely different vehicles that share a name, much like the Bronco and Bronco Sport. The Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited are largely identical. One's longer because it's got two additional doors. But most parts are interchangeable.
No longer true. "The third-generation Qashqai was revealed on 18 February 2021.[33][34][35] The third-generation Qashqai is slightly larger than before, being 35 mm (1.4 in) longer, 32 mm (1.3 in) wider and 25 mm (1.0 in) taller, while its wheelbase is 20 mm (0.8 in) longer.[36] This model is built on the Common Module Family (CMF-C) platform, which also underpins the third-generation Rogue."

Bronco Sport is a unibody FWD based vehicle while Bronco is a BOF AWD only vehicle. The Rogues share much, the Broncos share little.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The good news is also the fact that Wrangler PHEV is already the best selling PHEV vehicule in USA.
I thought I read that somewhere I just couldn't remember where. I think I also read that there is a backlog of orders clear into fall!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The good news is also the fact that Wrangler PHEV is already the best selling PHEV vehicule in USA.
Very true. I suspect they are selling those to the crowd who always wanted a Wrangler but couldn't justify it on grounds that they had "bad gas mileage". The PHEV makes it appear that they can now have their cake and eat it too.

Sadly, when one does the math, the cost per mile to drive one is exactly the same as other Wranglers. But hey, if it's selling Jeeps I'm all for it. A flavor for everyone.

·
Registered
1970 Plymouth Duster 340, 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4XE
26 Posts
Very true. I suspect they are selling those to the crowd who always wanted a Wrangler but couldn't justify it on grounds that they had "bad gas mileage". The PHEV makes it appear that they can now have their cake and eat it too.

Sadly, when one does the math, the cost per mile to drive one is exactly the same as other Wranglers. But hey, if it's selling Jeeps I'm all for it. A flavor for everyone.
My wife is all in on that mileage thing.

Personally I don't give a fig about the mileage. I care about the 375 horsepower, 470 ft/lbs of torque and 0-60 in 6 seconds. Plus it's a Wrangler and gives me more smiles per gallon than any vehicle I've owned. Top down, Led Zep cranked, life is good.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,734 Posts

Well, it's the same as the best-mileage Wrangler, with acceleration closer to the 392 than the V6, but still.

·
Registered
383 Posts

I think it was selling more on cost than being a PHEV, it was pretty much the cheapest way to get into a Wrangler:
Jeep Wrangler 4xe PHEV Cheaper To Lease Than Gas-Only Model

With the current lease deal, the Wrangler 4xe is also cheaper than a base non-hybrid Wrangler Unlimited, according to CarsDirect. Despite a $10,900-higher MSRP, the 4xe is currently $58 a month cheaper to lease than a Wrangler Unlimited Sport S model.
If it can keep up that rate when prices are where they should be, that will be something.

Reactions: tlc and valiant67

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Wrangler PHEV has superior capability to the non-PHEV models when it comes to trail crawling: all that torque, at any speed you want, right down to zero. Towing also benefits from electric drive.

That the 4xe gets better gas mileage and has higher residuals than the other versions is just another bonus. Residuals are unlikely to change until there’s a solid supply of used 4xe models...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts