Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the article:

The all-new Jeep Wrangler 4xe Wrangler 4xe plug-in hybrid has just received official range and efficiency ratings from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), but the numbers are lower than expected.

According to the EPA, the all-electric range is up to 21 miles (34 km), compared to the expected 25 miles (40 km). Let's get into the details.

Full article here:

Jeep Wrangler 4xe Gets 21 Miles Of EPA Electric Range (insideevs.com)

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,198 Posts
Fine for the typical commute. Otherwise, yes. It's weird. Wrangler PHEV: not an mpg savior, but good for typical commutes

Also note 0-60 of 6.0 seconds — which suggests the tuning was for power, not economy.

Moral of the story: if you're driving long distances and demand a Wrangler, get the base V6. If you're commuting, either four-cylinder works. If you're drag racing, 392.

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts
Not very helpful for me, that's less than half the distance of my commute, one-way.

Granted, if I'm buying a Wrangler, it's NOT for the fuel economy.

Reactions: Doug D

·
Administrator
36,198 Posts
Not very helpful for me, that's less than half the distance of my commute, one-way.

Granted, if I'm buying a Wrangler, it's NOT for the fuel economy.
No, not helpful for you, but you know how many times we've been over that kind of argument...

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts
No, not helpful for you, but you know how many times we've been over that kind of argument...
Yeah, I know, I’m not trying to knock it, I just don’t see it being that helpful for me personally. I think I was hoping for enough electric-only range to get me at least one-way to work or home. But I suppose 21 miles would help somewhat for my commute, but more for the shorter trips I make around town. I’d have to do the math to see if it would be beneficial. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad they’re at least trying. Wrangler isn’t the easiest vehicle to try to make more efficient, without taking away from what makes it a Wrangler in the first place.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I know, I’m not trying to knock it, I just don’t see it being that helpful for me personally. I think I was hoping for enough electric-only range to get me at least one-way to work or home. But I suppose 21 miles would help somewhat for my commute, but more for the shorter trips I make around town. I’d have to do the math to see if it would be beneficial. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad they’re at least trying. Wrangler isn’t the easiest vehicle to try to make more efficient, without taking away from what makes it a Wrangler in the first place.
Don't forget, in cold weather, your range is reduced. With battery heating, it is not as significant as in the past, but the heaters are a battery drain as well.

Which is another issue about BEVs....knowing your range. Your range will change based on not just the weather, but where are you going.....flat land, up in the mountains, stop and go.

People have acclimated to knowing that they will get XXX miles from a tank of gas. Yes, it might be a little more or less based on mountains, etc. But it will not vary as much as it will with current BEVs.

That is going to be an issue.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Administrator
36,198 Posts
This is basically The power of a 5.7 Hemi, with the efficiency of the v6
Technically the power of a 3.6 V6, with the acceleration of a 5.7 Hemi on a good day...

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts
Don't forget, in cold weather, your range is reduced. With battery heating, it is not as significant as in the past, but the heaters are a battery drain as well.

Which is another issue about BEVs....knowing your range. Your range will change based on not just the weather, but where are you going.....flat land, up in the mountains, stop and go.

People have acclimated to knowing that they will get XXX miles from a tank of gas. Yes, it might be a little more or less based on mountains, etc. But it will not vary as much as it will with current BEVs.

That is going to be an issue.
Here in Delaware, the winters are pretty mild, so I don’t know if that’s much of a factor here. Plus there’s the gas engine as well. Something to keep in mind though, for sure, because most people aren’t familiar with electric vehicles yet so (myself very much included).

·
Administrator
36,198 Posts
Here in Delaware, the winters are pretty mild, so I don’t know if that’s much of a factor here. Plus there’s the gas engine as well. Something to keep in mind though, for sure, because most people aren’t familiar with electric vehicles yet so (myself very much included).
I would think some use of the heater and some cold weather is included in that estimate - that it's not a best-case scenario.

... I would think that, but I'm wrong. Heat and a/c is apparently left off. They test at room temp. We know that will change, right?

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts
I would think some use of the heater and some cold weather is included in that estimate - that it's not a best-case scenario.

... I would think that, but I'm wrong. Heat and a/c is apparently left off. They test at room temp. We know that will change, right?
Well performance and mileage will vary for a variety of reasons...temperature, use of heat/AC, driving with a heavy load, aggressive driving, etc. I guess they can’t account for all situations, so “normal conditions” is the little old lady driving to church on Sundays...:LOL:. it’s probably the only way to standardize it, that’s my guess anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Can we get this in a 300?

Reactions: 77 Monaco Brougham

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
While I was hoping for better EPA numbers, I also realize that this is a "performance hybrid" vs an "economy hybrid". This will be a good step between the 2.0 turbo and the 6.4

·
Registered
971 Posts
21 miles. Not even enough to get me to the office. One way.

Oh well, I will never buy a hybrid or electric vehicle until I literally have no choice anyhow.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts