Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
8,050 Posts
Who is this for? I don't know where, in the US, that people travel less than 20miles to work each way, unless they are really lucky. The 500e would be better for those commuters theoretically but .. man this wrangler is pure marketing fluff.

·
Super Moderator
37,852 Posts
Who is this for? I don't know where, in the US, that people travel less than 20miles to work each way, unless they are really lucky. The 500e would be better for those commuters theoretically but .. man this wrangler is pure marketing fluff.
Probably marketing fluff and a compliance gold mine.

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,010 Posts
Average commute in the US is 16 miles one way according to Google. I think it use to be 11 miles but that was several years ago.

I think this article is pre-pandemic though. Many more are tele-commuting these days.

FWIW - I use to drive 600 miles per week with a average daily commute of 55 miles one way. About three years ago I started working from home. Went from 600 miles per week to 400 miles per month. Fuel costs obviously much lower and I was able to get a discount on insurance since I'm averaging less than 7,500 miles per year. Maintenance costs are lower since I don't have to do oil changes every 10-12 weeks. Now it's more like once every 6-8 months.

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts
personally .. I think the e-drive is directed at off-road capabilities, crawling quietly in low gear listening to the birds chirp and sneaking up on a meal.. lol
“Ahhhhh...listen to the peaceful sound of nature! Oh the tranquility!” BLAM!!

:ROFLMAO:

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts
Average commute in the US is 16 miles one way according to Google. I think it use to be 11 miles but that was several years ago.

I think this article is pre-pandemic though. Many more are tele-commuting these days.

FWIW - I use to drive 600 miles per week with a average daily commute of 55 miles one way. About three years ago I started working from home. Went from 600 miles per week to 400 miles per month. Fuel costs obviously much lower and I was able to get a discount on insurance since I'm averaging less than 7,500 miles per year. Maintenance costs are lower since I don't have to do oil changes every 10-12 weeks. Now it's more like once every 6-8 months.
My commute, according to the handy dandy Google maps, is 48 miles one-way. It takes me a little over an hour to get to work, 3 nights a week. The trip to our kids preschool where they’ve been doing their virtual learning for kindergarten is 31 miles one-way...but thankfully we’re only doing that one day a week now since kindergarten is now in-person 4 days a week...but they’ll be going 5 days a week during the summer for “camp”.

I suppose 20-something miles would help somewhat with the overall gas mileage, considering how bad Wranglers/Gladiators are in the first place. I guess any little bit helps...but I was hoping for more.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I agree with those saying the e-range is likely intended for short local trips and silent off-roading, not purely for commuting (unless it's feasible for you, of course). Makes sense when you realize they added an e-saver button for this very purpose... Wranglers can be fuel hogs, everyone knows that, so why waste your limited e-range commuting if you're travelling over 20 miles? IMO, a simple "commuter" car a Wrangler is not, regardless of the powertrain, otherwise it wouldn't be shaped like it is! :D

Personally, if my JKU Willys had this tech I wouldn't use any fuel during the week, and that's awesome. And speaking of Willys, think of the 4xe this way: military-style redundancy. Oh darn, we're out of fuel but our BACKUP system will get us to the trailhead/highway/etc. When the tech is advanced enough, the powertrain roles would be reversed.

Now that I'm typing this I think Jeep should leverage it's military history with functionality like this going forward. It's a surefire way to differentiate from Bronco and any other newcomers to the segment...

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
421 Posts
Kinda late reply, but most of my fellow co-workers barely travel 10 miles to work.
The ones that do live in bigger cities or live like 1 hour away.

·
Premium Member
3,911 Posts
A Ram with this would work for me as my round work drive is 18 miles. With that said, batteries need more range and it will probably come. Now if the range for us here in the states for trucks and SUVs could get to let's say a 100 mile range for work trips. That would be a game changer.

·
Registered
13,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
A Ram with this would work for me as my round work drive is 18 miles. With that said, batteries need more range and it will probably come. Now if the range for us here in the states for trucks and SUVs could get to let's say a 100 mile range for work trips. That would be a game changer.
Stellantis has a good idea in using hydrogen for work trucks. They can use the electrification technology from BEVs but fuel it with a hydrogen system for far greater range and no loss of cargo capacity. Fueling time is the same as a gasoline vehicle.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,192 Posts
Let's say you have a 30 mile commute.

On a good day you get your 20 mile electric range. Now ⅔ of your commute is done via electricity alone. The rest is done via hybrid.
On a bad day you get a 10 mile electric range. Now your gasoline use is cut by ⅓.

It's still good. This is not an electric car where you run out of range and stop. It's got a gasoline engine. You run out of range and it becomes an ordinary Wrangler, roughly, but with better acceleration and brake force recovery.

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts
Hopefully they expand availability down the trim lineup. Sahara, Rubicon and High Altitude are a bit steep for what I want to pay. We’ll see when I’m ready to buy.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I have sold three 4 Xe's so far..... I think its going to be very popular. I live barely 6miles away from the dealership. The 4xe would be perfect for my everyday uses. As Erik reminded you above this is not an all electrict Jeep it still has the gas engine for your longer commutes. If I owned one of these Jeeps I bet I could go months with out having to fill up my tank. I wonder what type of credits Jeep is getting towards CAFE for selling these Jeeps.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts