Allpar Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
There she is...wife could not be happier. Charged overnight and she ran a few errands in full electric mode no problem...we noted the odometer and date yesterday as I topped her off...will be interesting to see how long until next fill up.
I was told by someone who owned a Volt, he was directed not to fill up the tank of the Volt unless he KNEW that he was going to drive far enough in the next 2 weeks to use up all the gas. Otherwise the gas could go bad in the tank since you were driving mostly on electric. Did they something similar to you? I wondered if the Pacifica Hybrid ran into a similar issue.

·
Super Moderator
37,852 Posts
I was told by someone who owned a Volt, he was directed not to fill up the tank of the Volt unless he KNEW that he was going to drive far enough in the next 2 weeks to use up all the gas. Otherwise the gas could go bad in the tank since you were driving mostly on electric. Did they something similar to you? I wondered if the Pacifica Hybrid ran into a similar issue.
Most PHEV cars will run the engine occasionally to keep the gas fresh. The interval for gas refresh is much longer than two weeks though.
The Chevy Volt does this.
The Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid does the same.

Edit: This also serves to circulate the engine oil too.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Let's say you have a 30 mile commute.

On a good day you get your 20 mile electric range. Now ⅔ of your commute is done via electricity alone. The rest is done via hybrid.
On a bad day you get a 10 mile electric range. Now your gasoline use is cut by ⅓.

It's still good. This is not an electric car where you run out of range and stop. It's got a gasoline engine. You run out of range and it becomes an ordinary Wrangler, roughly, but with better acceleration and brake force recovery.
Exactly. On a bad day or if you can't plug it in, you have a Wrangler hybrid for commuting, and even that will help with the worst part of the MPGs in a Wrangler...and you have a Wrangler!

I will admit that I didn't "get" the whole hybrid car thing until I drove my wife's grandmas Prius and we were out all day with it, and the fuel gauge hadn't moved, and I had gotten 60MPG. To do the same driving in my Cherokee would have drained half my tank. My wife has always had a Prius, but when we got married, we got a Prius for her, as she left her Prius for her sister. I'll be honest, for day to day commuting, I don't mind it at all. Especially since it uses so little fuel. It does struggle in the snow, but that's what my Cherokee is for! I'm very seriously watching how the 4Xe vehicles do in real world conditions, as it looks to me that I can have my cake and eat it too in having a capable vehicle and not using much fuel! Bring on the 4Xe technology!

Congrats!!

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,192 Posts
If you live in suburbs or cities, hybrids are very sensible.

I found it annoying when the main criticism of cars like the Prius was not "their handling is lousy" (true in the old days) or "they're noisy inside" (true in the old days), but "the only time it's good is in the kind of driving nobody likes." And my answer to that is... huh? What? Why would that matter? If you commute to work or school or whatever, that's what you do. Unless you have an option, like an e-bike or walking or the bus or something, you'll have a car, and is it somehow bad that the car gets good mileage?

I also found it odd when people said hybrids were “bad” somehow because they cost as much as a powerful car of the same size. So people can pay for gas mileage or for power, and that's somehow bad?

There used to be a lot more hate for hybrids. I never really understood it. I would have one (or an electric) now but I want to keep using a clutch while I can! And yes, I could have gotten a 392 Hemi, or perhaps even a Hellcat, but I'd almost never be able to open it up. Better to drive a Dart at the edge of its performance than a Hellcat Challenger within the limits of its valet mode... and for highway drives we have the 300C. (I take the Dart if it's only an hour on the highway, it's nice to get 40 mpg now and then!)

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·

I found it annoying when the main criticism of cars like the Prius was not "their handling is lousy" (true in the old days) or "they're noisy inside" (true in the old days), but "the only time it's good is in the kind of driving nobody likes." And my answer to that is... huh? What? Why would that matter? If you commute to work or school or whatever, that's what you do. Unless you have an option, like an e-bike or walking or the bus or something, you'll have a car, and is it somehow bad that the car gets good mileage?

I also found it odd when people said hybrids were “bad” somehow because they cost as much as a powerful car of the same size. So people can pay for gas mileage or for power, and that's somehow bad?

There used to be a lot more hate for hybrids. I never really understood it. I would have one (or an electric) now but I want to keep using a clutch while I can! And yes, I could have gotten a 392 Hemi, or perhaps even a Hellcat, but I'd almost never be able to open it up. Better to drive a Dart at the edge of its performance than a Hellcat Challenger within the limits of its valet mode... and for highway drives we have the 300C. (I take the Dart if it's only an hour on the highway, it's nice to get 40 mpg now and then!)
Toyota did their usual....introduce a product and stay dedicated to is, making it better and better with each redesign. They took some steps back, but remained committed and would always come back with a better Prius.

@Dave Z , I think much of the "hate" for hybrids was for their early owners who tended to be "holier-than-thou" snobs.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Better to drive a Dart at the edge of its performance than a Hellcat Challenger within the limits of its valet mode... and for highway drives we have the 300C. (I take the Dart if it's only an hour on the highway, it's nice to get 40 mpg now and then!)
One of the last OG Top Gear episodes mention this about the Toyota GT86/BRZ. That car was so much more fun because you could whip it around at low speeds.
That's where this popular gif came from

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts
Toyota did their usual....introduce a product and stay dedicated to is, making it better and better with each redesign. They took some steps back, but remained committed and would always come back with a better Prius.

@Dave Z , I think much of the "hate" for hybrids was for their early owners who tended to be "holier-than-thou" snobs.
Some of the owners may have been snobs...some may still be. But the car itself screamed, “hey look at me, I’m a hybrid! Nyah Nyah Nyah!!” I much preferred when hybrid versions of regular cars came along, it was more like “hey look at me, I’m a car! (which happens to get great gas mileage too)”.

The thing with Prius’s though, their driver’s always seemed to want to race me in my Liberty...guys in Taco’s did too. I mean, how badly do you need a ”win” that you have to race a Liberty??

Reactions: UN4GTBL and tlc

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts

I think a lot of reactions surrounding hybrids, both good and bad, we’re really based in ignorance. Ignorance regarding what the vehicle can do vs what it can’t. Some inflate the capability, and some detract. Personally, I’ve never been against them, but I tend to stick with what I know...for good, bad, or indifferent. Perhaps it’s the age old, let’s see how the other guy does with it first.

Admittedly I never knew much about the different types of hybrid or fully electric systems. I know a bit more now, and I learn more all the time. I’m probably too cautious to get a full electric, but a hybrid may be just the best bet edpec considering how I drive.

Knowledge is the cure for ignorance, but one needs to be willing to learn. I can’t say that I’m perfect at that...but I’m trying. Lol. 4xe does look tempting though, if in the right vehicle and the right price (for me).

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Some of the owners may have been snobs...some may still be. But the car itself screamed, “hey look at me, I’m a hybrid! Nyah Nyah Nyah!!” I much preferred when hybrid versions of regular cars came along, it was more like “hey look at me, I’m a car! (which happens to get great gas mileage too)”.

The thing with Prius’s though, their driver’s always seemed to want to race me in my Liberty...guys in Taco’s did too. I mean, how badly do you need a ”win” that you have to race a Liberty??
Actually, one of the Toyota failures was when they tried to make the Prius look more mainstream. The snob portion of the customer base rejected it and Toyota came back with a more unique styling.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,192 Posts
Actually, one of the Toyota failures was when they tried to make the Prius look more mainstream. The snob portion of the customer base rejected it and Toyota came back with a more unique styling.
Actually, if that was really true, they would not have converted one of the Prius models to the Corolla Hybrid...

There may be Prius snobs. I've never met any. I've met people who cared about their carbon footprint and people who were in love with gadgets.

A lot of Prius owners were indeed pretty piss poor drivers, getting in the way regularly, but the hate was there before they started actually selling the car, so I'm not going to blame the owners.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Speaking of Wrangler MPG and surprises...
Did anyone see the TFL Wrangler 6.4 MPG?

Two mountain passes, I bet they used less fuel than the V6. Yes, TFL probably turtled it, but most drivers do, so you can beat V6 economy at 70 in a V8 Wrangler...

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Speaking of Wrangler MPG and surprises...
Did anyone see the TFL Wrangler 6.4 MPG?

Two mountain passes, I bet they used less fuel than the V6. Yes, TFL probably turtled it, but most drivers do, so you can beat V6 economy at 70 in a V8 Wrangler...
Power to weight ratio, drive it nice like all TLF'ers do and get good results.. I know that I would not get good mileage with a 392 in a light Jeep, to much fun to be had. lol

·
Registered
8,770 Posts

Yeah, I too prefer a more regular looking hybrid. Ours is the 2017, so before the refresh in 2019, but it has the tech I wanted and my wife is happy with it so that's what's important!

What I do find funny/annoying is how others react to it still. I generally "keep up to the flow of traffic" if you know what I mean :sneaky: so I am generally the one passing people. However, I'm not the fastest either, so I don't just camp out in the left lane like some people :rolleyes:.

The funniest situations are when I'm just cruising along in the left lane with the flow of traffic and pass a bro truck in the middle lane. It's like they come to the realization that a Prius has passed them, and now they have to get their manhood back and so they start plotting how to pass me again, even though they've been in the middle lane since I first saw them way ahead and have been slowly catching up to them. Sometimes they will immediately change lanes and start tailgating me until I can get over, sometimes they try to pass me back by using the right late, which rarely works because of traffic here.

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts
Yeah, I too prefer a more regular looking hybrid. Ours is the 2017, so before the refresh in 2019, but it has the tech I wanted and my wife is happy with it so that's what's important!

What I do find funny/annoying is how others react to it still. I generally "keep up to the flow of traffic" if you know what I mean :sneaky: so I am generally the one passing people. However, I'm not the fastest either, so I don't just camp out in the left lane like some people :rolleyes:.

The funniest situations are when I'm just cruising along in the left lane with the flow of traffic and pass a bro truck in the middle lane. It's like they come to the realization that a Prius has passed them, and now they have to get their manhood back and so they start plotting how to pass me again, even though they've been in the middle lane since I first saw them way ahead and have been slowly catching up to them. Sometimes they will immediately change lanes and start tailgating me until I can get over, sometimes they try to pass me back by using the right late, which rarely works because of traffic here.
You made a great point...as long as you (or wife) are happy with the vehicle you chose, then that’s all that matters. Seeing the face of your loved one light up with enjoyment when they’re driving is absolutely priceless! My wife isn’t the most confident of drivers and for the most part doesn’t enjoy driving much. I was absolutely surprised when she said that she loves to drive our new Explorer...once she got used to it. She now wants something larger than her Encore...maybe the Lincoln Nautilus. I’m so proud! :LOL:

My Liberty was a stick, so maybe hearing the engine revving up between shifts made some people think I was trying to race them...or later on, maybe it was the hole in my muffler that made the engine even more noisy than usual...who knows? I like to think it sounded like a V8. Others may have thought it sounded like a case of V8 cans thrashing about. :ROFLMAO:

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,010 Posts
Most PHEV cars will run the engine occasionally to keep the gas fresh. The interval for gas refresh is much longer than two weeks though.
The Chevy Volt does this.
The Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid does the same.

Edit: This also serves to circulate the engine oil too.
Yep. Friend of mine had a Volt. The computer somehow "remembers" when you last put gas in it and will force the engine to run on the gasoline engine on occasion.

As I recall gasoline can go "stale" after about 3 months.

Reactions: UN4GTBL
41 - 55 of 55 Posts