Allpar Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the article:

FCA in March pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to violate the Labor Management Relations Act. It agreed to pay the government $30 million and to appoint an independent monitor for three years to oversee the dissolution of a joint training center FCA operated with the UAW and used to funnel money to union leaders.

The six-year federal investigation into union corruption led to the convictions of three former FCA executives, including labor relations chief Alphons Iacobelli, and 12 others. The pattern of illegal payments included paying off former UAW Vice President General Holiefield's $262,000 mortgage, bankrolling a $25,000 booze-fueled bash for another labor leader and financing a $30,000 junket for UAW officials in southern California. The payments were designed to secure concessions, and advantages for Fiat Chrysler during contract negotiations, the government previously stated.

Full article here:

Judge: FCA employees aren't entitled to restitution in bribery scandal (detroitnews.com)

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fine will pay for their prison time
Yes, I think the fine is too low given UAW workers ended up with a lousy contract. But they did ratify it.

The actual ruling does not preclude employees from compensation.....this ruling just says the court will not take over the case because the employees got a bad contract.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,734 Posts
Yes, I think the fine is too low given UAW workers ended up with a lousy contract. But they did ratify it.

The actual ruling does not preclude employees from compensation.....this ruling just says the court will not take over the case because the employees got a bad contract.
I don't think it was a lousy contract, really. Presumably they could have done better, since there were bribes involved. In any case, the members voted for it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I don't think it was a lousy contract, really. Presumably they could have done better, since there were bribes involved. In any case, the members voted for it.
The vote tally showed to accept, which doesn't mean the members actually voted in favor. There was too much crooked crap going on to be sure the vote to accept was legit. Officials from upper UAW talked the contract up as good, while the members listening to the sell at all cost contract highlights had serious doubts. As I recall, the Casting Plant members turned it down, much to the UAWs displeasure.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
There was a no strike clause in the post bankruptcy era.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Usually it's money or jobs. Never both. They got jobs unlike those working for GM.

·
Registered
142 Posts
they voted for it because the crooked union who took $$$$ told them it was a good contract.. so really it was pushed on the membership under false pretenses . members expect their union exec to bargain on their behalf and bring back a fair offer , but in this case the union exec threw the members under the bus for their own interests

·
Registered
571 Posts
The felony convictions of FCA and one of its higher-ups, and numerous UAW high ranking (or former high-ranking) officials is a classic example of organized crime in operation.

Ironically, the UAW line workers unwittingly were funding some of the corruption and thievery with their dues’ pavements. There has been little outcry from the line workers, as they are making a good salary with lots of overtime.

·
Administrator
36,734 Posts
The felony convictions of FCA and one of its higher-ups, and numerous UAW high ranking (or former high-ranking) officials is a classic example of organized crime in operation.

Ironically, the UAW line workers unwittingly were funding some of the corruption and thievery with their dues’ pavements. There has been little outcry from the line workers, as they are making a good salary with lots of overtime.
... and they ended up with about the same contract as the “honest” leaders at Ford and GM.

And far, far, far better than those who did NOT pay dues, who work for Toyota, and Honda, and VW, etc.

The union was not crooked. The union leaders were crooked.

·
Registered
571 Posts
... and they ended up with about the same contract as the “honest” leaders at Ford and GM.

And far, far, far better than those who did NOT pay dues, who work for Toyota, and Honda, and VW, etc.

The union was not crooked. The union leaders were crooked.
I agree with you that the leaders were crooked - as evidenced by their felony convictions.

I’m just amazed that the rank-and-file workers had little outcry.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500
6,338 Posts
The workers should have a case against their union as it was their agent and acted in bad faith.

·
Administrator
36,734 Posts
I agree with you that the leaders were crooked - as evidenced by their felony convictions.

I’m just amazed that the rank-and-file workers had little outcry.
What makes you think they didn't? Do you hang out at union member web sites? I've been at one and they were very upset.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts