Allpar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am bringing my 1990 New Yorker Fifth Ave back to life after it has been sitting for about 10 years. The car runs, but I know the gas is bad even though I put a stabilizer in it when I stored it. Only 53k. I cannot siphon the tank so I am thinking of having the fuel pump do the work and pump out some of the stale gas through the service port on the fuel rail. The only thing stopping me is I need to find a simple way to keep the fuel pump running. I recall jumping out a fuel pump relay many years ago on a ford focus and it was relatively easy. However, with this car, I see there is an Auto-Shutdown relay (ASD) which will need to be jumped out. Could someone tell me where this relay is located and which pins I will need to jump in order to keep the fuel pump on when the ignition is on? Is there a fuel pump relay and the ASD?

I see two styles of 'fuel pump relay' on RockAuto

Thank you.

·
KOG
7,132 Posts
That's one way and it works. That model should also have a siphon line at the rear of the tank capped with a rubber boot which you can also use.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
. . . .However, with this car, I see there is an Auto-Shutdown relay (ASD) which will need to be jumped out. Could someone tell me where this relay is located and which pins I will need to jump in order to keep the fuel pump on when the ignition is on? Is there a fuel pump relay and the ASD? . . .
I would look on the inside of the left front fender area or the left front strut tower for the ASD relay. In 1990 I believe Chrysler was NOT using a separate fuel pump relay. The electric fuel pump was powered through the ASD relay.

You may find several relays. When you install the jumper wire, you will be able to know which relay (radiator fan, air conditioner clutch, fuel pump, etc) you have activated.

Attached is an image of the pins on the ASD relay. Pin #87A may not be present in your application.

ASD Relay Terminal Wiring.gif

·
Super Moderator
32,516 Posts
Strongly recommended that you change the fuel filter - there should be an external one on the right side of the car. You could disconnect the fuel filter inlet and run the hose into an approved gasoline can there to empty out the tank. That keeps the fuel further away from a source of ignition underhood. Then change the filter when done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Strongly recommended that you change the fuel filter
I will be changing the fuel filter and the fuel pump soon. I may even change the sending unit as the gas gauge was way off. I would just like to empty some of the tank this way there is not a lot of fuel when I am doing work under there.

Attached is an image of the pins on the ASD relay.
Thank you I think this will help me a lot. I will jump pins 30 and 87 and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I emptied my durango by letting it idle and having a hose connected to the fuel pressure test port. It took some time since the fuel flow from the test port isnt that great.
( 25 gallons or so..) i used an old ac manifold hose with its schrader fittings, probably r22.
The pump had the capacity to keep fuel pressure despite the rather big "leak".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I emptied my durango by letting it idle and having a hose connected to the fuel pressure test port. It took some time since the fuel flow from the test port isnt that great.
( 25 gallons or so..) i used an old ac manifold hose with its schrader fittings, probably r22.
The pump had the capacity to keep fuel pressure despite the rather big "leak".
Did you actually remove the schrader valve core (I have the little removal tool)? Or you just hooked it up with the fittings from your ac hose? My intention was on removing the actual core from the port and then attaching a simple fuel line to a gas can.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
No i didnt, just hooked the ac hoose on and let the other end go to the can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts