Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did not know how rare this truck was until I started asking around. Then did a bunch of my own research. I have had her about 3 months now and I am 60 years old and have not worked very much on cars at all. I did as a kid but ok now I am rebuilding the suspension on the front end (all of it) yes parts seem so be hard to match. Not sure how to confirm if it is a (3500) or (4500) other than some of the 4500lbs parts are too big and do not fit. But some of them do fit??? Anyway any one out there that has one close to this year? From what I can tell at this point there at not many out there at all?? Also I would like to look at putting a newer motor in this tank. Maybe a restomod? Like a 2005-20010 or what ever 6.1 liter. I had a 2005 Chysler 300C with the 5.7 and liked the design of the motor and mileage maybe I will do that? A/C is not working if you can talk about that it would be COOL?

Thanks Chris

·
Premium Member
3,909 Posts
I assume someone modified this. There to my knowledge no 3/4 ton Ramchargers built by the factory. I have seen however ones that have been built privately. 1985 models were the last produced in the US. From 86 on they were made in Mexico.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for that information but the title matches. The vin number checks out. The actual manufacture date is August of 1985 but it is a 1986 on title. I am finding out more information about this truck all the time. I am starting to like it more and more. I wonder if I could find out how many 1986 3/4 Tons were made? It could even be the very last or only 1986 3/4 ton.??? LOL I will get some pics up today later

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ohhh I did figure out that the gearing in the front is 411 and that I have the spicer gears? So I guess there is a 3500 pound axle (Spicer) and a 4500 pound axle (Dana) in some other information is 60F I do not know what that means yet. So still working on finding out all the details about my truck. Just a side note. When I was 25 years old I bought a 1970 Cuda 440 6 pack for $1500 and drove it hard. I did a full rebuild on the motor and trans. Then got into hard times and sold it for $3000. (Not a smart move) it was one of 528 made!! I think its worth between 125,000-200,000 today. So the lesson that I learned is this. This Ram has my attention now. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
37,846 Posts
I've never seen any evidence of a 1986 or even a 1985 250 Ramcharger.
August of 1985 manufacture is a 1986 model.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I somehow sent them twice. I am out of time right now but will send vin and pic of door information.

·
Super Moderator
37,846 Posts
I's a Dodge Ram W250, not a Ramcharger.
They made lots of the Ram 250's.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its a Power Ram 250 Royal SE. So still don't know the difference between "Power Ram" And "Ramcharger" ? Its got the 360 motor and is a 4 X 4 on the fly shift..... I guess it was the first year or second year the did that on the fly shifting thing?

Attachments

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,006 Posts
Dodge Ramcharger - Wikipedia (at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Ramcharger )

Ramcharger was a large sport sport utility vehicle built by Dodge through 1993. It's in the same vein as the Ford Bronco and Chevrolet Blazer.

The PowerWagon is based on the 2500 HD series (called W250 back then) of pickups.

For an '86 it appears to be in relatively good condition. If the engine is still in good condition I'd not mess with installing a Hemi. The 360 has a fair amount of torque for its vintage though it tends to be fuel thirsty.

·
Premium Member
3,909 Posts
Its a Power Ram 250 Royal SE. So still don't know the difference between "Power Ram" And "Ramcharger" ? Its got the 360 motor and is a 4 X 4 on the fly shift..... I guess it was the first year or second year the did that on the fly shifting thing?
Yes, 1985 was the first year for shift on the fly. As I recall it was called Ram Trac. I'm like the other guy, leave the 360 in and build it. Parts are a bargain compared to what it will cost to install a much later motor. 300hp is reached very easy.

·
Super Moderator
37,846 Posts
If I owned this and was looking to upgrade the power plant, I’d replace the engine and transmission with the Magnum 5.9 (360) and overdrive automatic. They offered this combo in the 1993 Ram 250. The Magnum 5.2 was available in 1982 and 1993.

But it’s a sharp truck, for sure.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The guys are right about the 360.. Give it an aftermarket spark system, help it breath better at the intake and exhaust and I got 4 MPG better than stock (on the highway) from my 360/318's I've owned in the day. I put a police interceptor intake on my 360 1980 power-wagon and the gas needle moved faster then the speedo...lol so don't do that:D What gears do you have, more than likely 3.55's .. I had 245/75 from stock and put on 265/75's on and found that the speedo was more accurate. Nice truck you have ..give it some lovin.:)

·
Premium Member
3,909 Posts
Rear end ratios depend on what GVW it is. My 1990 W250 with 7500 GVW was a 3.91. Oddly, it was a semi floating 9.25 Chrysler rear. 8800 was the option with Dana full floater which I didn't get because it rode hard enough as it was.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I took a pic of the tag on the front end and it is actually 4.11 not sure about the rear end yet? But from what I think I have learned I have the SPICER front drive rated at 3500 pound but there was and option for DANA 4500 pound. So 4.11 Spicer 3500 pound seems like the guy that ordered it put some thought into how he wanted to make it custom for what ever he was trying to do! I ran a carfax on it and looks like I am the third owner also. It has 123,000 miles on it right now. I was driving it when the speedo said 123456. Kinda fun....LOL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The last 6 digits on my vin are 008259 but not sure it that is all trucks made that year? I know they only sold about 19,000 that year compared to 220,000 for ford and chevy. Anyone know how the vin number system works. I mean I know that I was number 8,259 in line I get that but is that for all trucks d100 d200 w150 w250 ect ........?

·
Premium Member
3,909 Posts
All the 4wd front axles at that time were Danas. The rear if it's a Dana looks very similar to the front pig, just larger. You can remove a rear wheel if the center cap is intact and tell as well. Pretty sure it would've been a Dana 60 in rear if it's a full floater. The front is a Dana 44. The Dana 70 was used on 350 trucks. Only one cab size was available at that time. Club Cabs were gone in 83 or so, although they continued in Mexico for that market. Crew Cabs were gone after 85.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts