Allpar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.. I have 1989 dodge d50 2 wheel drive I love my truck but motor siezed on me.. Any who having trouble finding a engine for it.. Its a 2.6 Mitsubishi.. Anyone know of any good used engines kicking around or even a good deal on a new one.?

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Welcome to Allpar, man. Wow, 2.6 Mitsusquishi, huh? Don't see many of those around anymore. I checked the Nashville Pull-A-Part and they don't have any on the yard. Would a 2.6 out of something else fit?

·
Super Moderator
36,938 Posts
Welcome - looks like you are limited to the pickups (Dodge D50, Plymouth Arrow, Mitsubishi) and some SUVs (Dodge Raider, Mitsubishi Montero).
Try www.car-part.com to see if it shows any near you.

·
Premium Member
20,079 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Depends on what seized, might be easier to rebuild.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it to machine shop and block has 4 cracks in it. And head is split. Really irritates because I paid a guy big money to put a new head on it last year. Machine shop says it appears the guy cut head gasket and removed about 2" of it. And head gasket was caught in timing chain...

·
Premium Member
20,079 Posts
Oh, OK, I guess a replacement is in order then. Time for Craigslist searches.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just found a 94 wrecked but with a fresh rebuilt 2.6 fuel injected for $600 in Virginia. I should be able to make that swap with the whole truck

·
Premium Member
20,079 Posts
Good job!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup that didn't pan out.. Looking like I gonna have to make that $1500 purchase for a new motor

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got some better news I guess.. I can get a 3.9 or a 318 installed with tranny for same price as new stock 4 cylinder. $1500 includes price of engine/tranny and everything to convert it. So now decisions do I go with the v6 or v8... Thoughts anyone

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Make sure that the swap includes a new, larger radiator if you go the V-8 route especially. I don't think the stock radiator would be able to cool a V-8 engine effectively, and I'm not too sure about a V-6 either. What about beefing up the suspension for the additional weight? I had a buddy back in high school that dropped a 327 into a Vega and he didn't do the suspension work and that thing always had the front tires bowed out from it. He finally just put the four cylinder back in it because tires cost him too much.

·
Premium Member
20,079 Posts
Agree with the suspension and radiator upgrades. As far as the engines go, both are good. The 3.9 is known for being pretty durable. I am a little bit of a fan of the 3.9 when it comes to that extra couple inches of space to work on the engine in a small engine bay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Radiator is getting upgraded also. The shop where I'm taking it are guarantee it to be turn key and go within a week for $1500 includes engine and tranny. I guess I never took into consideration the weight difference. Anyone know the weight difference between a 3.9 and a 318.. I know the 318 has about 80,000 miles while the 3.9 has over 100k

1 - 13 of 13 Posts