Allpar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to take the 75 Cordoba K member in put it under my 64 Belvedere, giving me the disc brakes, power steering and motor mounts for an LA series motor. Will this work or do I have to take the individual parts; brakes and power steering box and mount them on the old K member?

·
Super Moderator
36,933 Posts
I suspect it won't work. The Cordoba K member is an isolated design (designed to mount via rubber bushings). The change in mounting would likely cause issues with the torsion bar mount which is a separate piece.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The Cordoba k member will not work under the Belvedre, two totally different designs. Your best bet for adding disc brakes would be to look at one of the aftermarket companies that sell complete kits for both front and rear (Stainless Steel Brake Company etc.). If you want to save a few bucks, check out the tech articles on the Mopar Action web site, Rick Ehrenberg wrote about this a few years back, using fairly common parts from the A-body (which can be found new and used). If the Belvedre already has a V8, then you could reuse those exisiting motor mounts, if not...then Schumacher has brand new kits for various body/engine combinations (early A-bodies to pick up-Slant 6 to Hemi).

Good luck with your project!

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Actually; the disc brake spindles and PS gear from the 1975 Cordoba will work under your 1964 B body although you might have to dig up a Pitman arm with a larger sector spline diameter. Motor mounts: if your Belvedere was a V8 car; use the factor '318' mounts and call it good. If a Slant Six model; Schumachers out of Wash St may have the conversion kit.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Yeah, it won't simply bolt up. Design changed in for '73. It's more likely that a design through '72 would work, but it may have even been revised in the interim.

·
Premium Member
20,078 Posts
OldBill, you may be able to take the whole K member and whole front rails and graft them to your front suspension, basically replacing the whole thing. This will take a little bit of looking at everything to see how everything connects together, and I am not sure whether or not you have a frame or unibody construction (some where, some weren't in 63 and 64), so it may be doable. Not easy by any means, but graftable.Also, a lot of time may be saved by going Schumacher for motor mound adapters and checking the spindle adaption charts to swap them over easier.

·
Super Moderator
36,933 Posts
The 1975 Cordoba won't be a good candidate for that as the rear torsion bar mount is not part of the subframe. You would have to precisely position both a rear torsion bar mount and the subframe for it to work.
That is why the Aspen/Volare (and other transverse torsion bar cars are used) because in those cases it is all in one unit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I will take a few measurements on the steering box and check the disc brake setup for swapping over to the 64 K-member. Hope I can use some of this junk! Next I want to see how much of the Cordoba A/C system will fit on the 64.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Well, as far as the compresor itself, if you have '64 brackets to mount it then it should bolt down. The connection through the firewall for the stock hoses probably won't be right, it wasn't even all that consistent year-to-year after the '72 refresh. As for the brackets that hold the condenser, receiver/dryer, and other under-hood parts, they're probably modifiable to what you need or could be replaced.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone who provided info on my 64 Belvedere steering mod. I can't believe its been more than 4 years ago! I thought it was a year or so. Well the Cordoba is gone. Still motoring around on stock steering and brakes. Getting older yet, haven't given up. Too poor to buy a conversion kit. Still hoping to get some ideas on junk yard parts I could convert to the 64 B-body and get power steering and disc brakes. At least I have a friend at the local junk yard!

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
And for weird: the 1973-89 B-F-M-J-R steering knuckles will physically bolt up to the 1962-72 ball joints, both top and bottom, and said taller 1973+ knuckles may actually help camber adjustment, etc. since they're maybe 3/8" taller than the 1973-76 A-E disc brake units.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts