Allpar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

My wife has a 1994 Plymouth Voyager with 3.3L auto, and has Keyless entry system. I had bought her a new OEM keyless remote for her birthday after I lost the only one several years ago.

Does anyone know how to reprogram the new remote? I have search on the web for answers and cannot find specifically for the above minivan. I know some cars (Ford) uses the key on/off 5 times then the lock will activate and then press the remote to program it.

The dealer wants 45 dollars, a 1/2 hour minimum labor rate to do it! I have contact several dealership to see if anyone can help me and have no luck.

Thanks to all for helping out!

Vernon

·
Registered
919 Posts
Its real easy and takes less than 1 minute. My daughter did it when she was 7 years old.

You need a length of electrical wire. Alligator clips on each end will help but you can just hold
the wire in place if needed.

Open the glove box in front of the front passenger seat in the dash. Disconnect the two rubber
straps that hold the door. Behind the box, you will find a green wire. Connect one end of your wire to this green wire and the other end to a ground in the van. There are some metal support brackets
behind the glove box that will work fine. Turn the ignition key on. Push a button on the remote.
If you have two remotes, push a button on the second one. Disconnect the wire and you are done.

$45 for this is an obscenity.

If you need more remotes, look on EBAY, they go for about $12 now. :blink: :D

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Malcom, Thanks so much for the answer I was lookign all over for it! I can't wait to activate it for my wife! 12 dollars via EBay??? WOW!

I paid 65+ for it!

Thanks!

Vernon

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This might be a dumb question, but if so it wouldn't be the first time for me. ...

I have a 93 GV with power locks but not keyless entry. Can someone tell me if there is a simple way for me to activate the keyless remote feature if I get myself a remote, or would my van be missing some necessary component like a receiver unit?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I don't think the 93s came with RKE. Look for the green wire with the red connector behind the glovebox to make sure. It was an option in the 94s and up. There are aftermarket kits available. If Ponchonutty is reading this, I am sure he will chime in.

·
Registered
166 Posts
juniorbill said:
This might be a dumb question, but if so it wouldn't be the first time for me. ...

I have a 93 GV with power locks but not keyless entry. Can someone tell me if there is a simple way for me to activate the keyless remote feature if I get myself a remote, or would my van be missing some necessary component like a receiver unit?
Yeah, the 93's did not have the RKE feature. Was a dealer add on item.

If you are interested, I happen have a brand new Mopar keyless entry kit for the 93 minivans that I bought to install in a van I sold back in 94. The guy decided to forgo the keyless and I never returned it for credit. The Mopar kit consists of 2 items. The RKE unit which fits many Chrysler products and the wiring harness kit which is specific to the year and model vehicle. Comes with 2 remotes and instructions. Cost me $120 back then. Make me a offer if you are interested. This is not some cheap aftermarket unit but the real deal.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information. Guess I'll keep my keys handy. :blink:

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A few things to remember....

• Be sure your remote has GOOD batteries. Does no good to try and try and get frustrated for bad batteries...
  • In My 94 Town & Country - the green wire has a connection point - maybe a dealer added it, but I've never had the RKE reprogrammed. So it's easier to connect with...
  • Be careful with the glove box door. Given that these vans are almost 20 years old, the plastic may have cracked where the screws hold the hinge in place. And don't lose those screws... They're specifically short so as not to pierce the outer skin of the glove box door.
Thanks for the post, btw, it helped Me reprogram the van after having done it all manually for the past - oh - five years???

Craig
aka LeathermanCraig

·
Registered
269 Posts
Is there a way to do this for a 97 T&C. I guess they're called the 2nd generation minivans.

·
Super Moderator
36,926 Posts
Is there a way to do this for a 97 T&C. I guess they're called the 2nd generation minivans.
With the 96-00 van, you must have one working remote to progam more yourself, or you need the dealer to program it if you don't have one that works.

·
Super Moderator
21,364 Posts
PROGRAMMING RKE MODULE
  1. Using a functional key fob transmitter, unlock the vehicle and disarm the Vehicle Theft Security System.
  2. Insert ignition key into the ignition switch.
  3. Turn the ignition switch to RUN position without starting engine.
  4. Using a functional key fob transmitter, press and hold the UNLOCK button for a minimum four seconds (maximum ten seconds)
  5. While holding UNLOCK button, and before ten seconds passes, press and release the PANIC button. A single chime will sound to verify that the RKE module is set to receive the new Vehicle Access Code(s)
  6. Within 30 seconds of the chime, press any button on each new key fob transmitter. After 30 seconds or when ignition switch is turned OFF, the RKE module will end the programming mode. A single chime will sound to verify that the RKE module will no longer receive additional Vehicle Access Code(s)
  7. When Vehicle Access Code(s) programming is complete, turn Ignition Switch to the OFF position and verify RKE system operation using each key fob [size="+1"]NOTE: Only the primary (first two) key fob transmitters will operate the memory seat and mirror systems. If a primary key fob is being replaced, the memory seat and mirror module will require programming. Refer to Power Seats for proper (data link) programming procedure. [/size]

·
Registered
85 Posts
I recently purchased an '03 Town & Country that has a RKE system. The previous owner lost all the remotes. I'm assuming I will have to have a dealer program any remote that I get. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Danny

·
Super Moderator
21,364 Posts
Yes, this thread was for the simpler '90's vehicles.
The newer vehicles would require the programming with a DRB III scan tool (or equivalent).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts