Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have '63 fury and it's lacking power....

I did a tune up: new points, set dwell to 43deg, plugs, wires, cap rotor, new air filter, set valve lash to factory specs (although I have been read that setting 11/21 or 12/22 on intake/exhaust will provide a cylinder increase from 125psi stock to 160ish, which would help a little).

I checked the timing and it is at 5deg BTDC...I tried to adjust, but there is an interference that prevents further advance (somewhere on the dizzy/cap/block)...not sure if the distributor was removed and reinstalled in a incorrect position??
number one on the cap looks to be about in the right position from an online diagram...

The carb looks to be pretty new, I sprayed some carb cleaner, set the mix, and adjusted the idle.
This is a rebuilt factory 1bbl, so I was told from the previous owner....

It shifts way too early....at slow acceleration it shifts to 2nd at 10mph...then to third at 20mph.... it increases a little with heavy acceleration..... I have been using the push button for down shifting to go up hills for now, but it's still lacking power.....
The adjustable kick down rod is frozen, sprayed a little liquid wrench and tapped with a hammer, but it won't adjust....I ordered a replaced off the 'bay...

Any thoughts??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, the replacement rod was delivered and I'll swap it out and start adjusting..
What is the typical shift speeds 1-2nd, 2nd to 3rd?

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
scuba1x said:
I have '63 fury and it's lacking power....

I did a tune up: new points, set dwell to 43deg, plugs, wires, cap rotor, new air filter, set valve lash to factory specs (although I have been read that setting 11/21 or 12/22 on intake/exhaust will provide a cylinder increase from 125psi stock to 160ish, which would help a little).

I checked the timing and it is at 5deg BTDC...I tried to adjust, but there is an interference that prevents further advance (somewhere on the dizzy/cap/block)...not sure if the distributor was removed and reinstalled in a incorrect position??
number one on the cap looks to be about in the right position from an online diagram...

The carb looks to be pretty new, I sprayed some carb cleaner, set the mix, and adjusted the idle.
This is a rebuilt factory 1bbl, so I was told from the previous owner....

It shifts way too early....at slow acceleration it shifts to 2nd at 10mph...then to third at 20mph.... it increases a little with heavy acceleration..... I have been using the push button for down shifting to go up hills for now, but it's still lacking power.....
The adjustable kick down rod is frozen, sprayed a little liquid wrench and tapped with a hammer, but it won't adjust....I ordered a replaced off the 'bay...

Any thoughts??
With light acceleration, 1-2 shift is about 13-15 mph, 2-3 is about 25 mph, so you're not far off. The kickdown rod has a threaded adjustment. Making it longer delays upshift, making it shorter makes it upshift sooner. It's VERY sensitive to minor adjustments, so don't go more than 1/2 turn at a time between testing the results. But don't focus on that right now. That's not killing your power.

You don't say what engine, but a 1-bbl implies a slant-6. That distributor has a dual-slotted plate on the bottom that the hold-down bolt goes through. The factory adjustment should be fine, but someone could have tampered with it. When the distributor is removed and inverted, you can see a small bolt in a slot that allows you to rotate the hold-down plate. This takes care of the limitation with regard to setting the timing.

It's very possible that it was not installed correctly and that the engine is not at TDC when the rotor is pointing to wire #1. That's the first thing to check.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Another thing to look for is a plugged fuel filter. That would def cause a lack of guts under at least hard acceleration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts