Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the article:

And it’s not just a rumor - Luca Napolitano, the new CEO of Lancia, recently gave Corriere della Sera an interview, confirming the Delta will be brought back to life in about four years from now. "Everyone wants the Delta and it cannot be missing from our plans. It will return and it will be a true Delta: an exciting car, a manifesto of progress and technology. And of course, it will be electric," Napolitano told the Italian publication.

Full article here:

Lancia Delta Return Officially Confirmed As EV In 2026 (motor1.com)

·
Registered
780 Posts
From the article:

And it’s not just a rumor - Luca Napolitano, the new CEO of Lancia, recently gave Corriere della Sera an interview, confirming the Delta will be brought back to life in about four years from now. "Everyone wants the Delta and it cannot be missing from our plans. It will return and it will be a true Delta: an exciting car, a manifesto of progress and technology. And of course, it will be electric," Napolitano told the Italian publication.

Full article here:

Lancia Delta Return Officially Confirmed As EV In 2026 (motor1.com)
Could we infer that Lancia and Chrysler will be intertwined and that Chrysler will get a version of the Delta in 2026?

Even Lancia's "mission" in the article sounds opaque like Chryslers.
"We will build cars with a great sense of responsibility towards the world we live in, as our customers want a clean drive, and the revolution towards pure electric is in line with our tradition of great technological innovation"
That's a lot of words to basically saying a whole lot of nothing in terms of what is the basis for Lancia existing.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,488 Posts
Although the chiseled body style may have an attractiveness to it, I thought I was looking at a car from the 1980's.
Lancia's should look more sexy than that, no matter what technology is under the skin.

·
Jeepaholic
6,264 Posts
Although the chiseled body style may have an attractiveness to it, I thought I was looking at a car from the 1980's.
Lancia's should look more sexy than that, no matter what technology is under the skin.
I think that is the old car, right? Looking at the pics that’s what it appears to be? If not, that takes retro to a whole new level. Lol.

Reactions: David S and tlc

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is the old Delta. They will show the new one in a few years.

Reactions: David S

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could we infer that Lancia and Chrysler will be intertwined and that Chrysler will get a version of the Delta in 2026?

Even Lancia's "mission" in the article sounds opaque like Chryslers.
"We will build cars with a great sense of responsibility towards the world we live in, as our customers want a clean drive, and the revolution towards pure electric is in line with our tradition of great technological innovation"
That's a lot of words to basically saying a whole lot of nothing in terms of what is the basis for Lancia existing.
No, you should not infer that Chrysler and Lancia are intertwined. That is up to Christina Feuell, Chrysler's CEO. This is Lancia's CEO talking about future product, just as Imparato talked about Alfa's future yesterday.

Expect Feuell to announce something before the end of the year....maybe not product, but at least brand direction and identity.

The quote is the empty phrases from Electrification Day. It is not a brand statement.

Reactions: serpens and David S

·
Banned
1,738 Posts

Been t/here before.

Quite the waste of capital: but typical of patrician family owned car firm....they will once a decade add andor renew a model, fill up some capacity, get some kudos for being philanthropic towards home country/market and its workers/unions etc. Then they will keep the model, a quasi rebadge of a high selling model from one of their big brands, going inordinately long (oh say a decade). Noblesse Oblige etc.

Investors don't care as long as Jeep Ram Fiat Peugeot Citroen Maserati and Alfa and Dodge do ok in terms of net sustained profitability.

I.e., Imo Tavares and Elkann will repeat and rinse this approach, perfected eventually and quite rightly I suppose by....Marchionne.;)

·
Registered
780 Posts
No, you should not infer that Chrysler and Lancia are intertwined. That is up to Christina Feuell, Chrysler's CEO. This is Lancia's CEO talking about future product, just as Imparato talked about Alfa's future yesterday.

Expect Feuell to announce something before the end of the year....maybe not product, but at least brand direction and identity.

The quote is the empty phrases from Electrification Day. It is not a brand statement.
I figured since the brands were quasi-pared before when the 300 and Magnum bits were used to sell rebadged Lancias...their fates would be intertwined? I'm just postulating as both brands are in the same boat in terms of lack of investment and brand direction.

It's up to what Stellantis allows Christine Feuell to do...she may want a full line up for Chrysler, but if they just allow her an EV reskinned Lancia and an aging Pacifica, that's all she can work with. I hope they give both heads of Chrysler and Lancia autonomy to fully resurrect both brands to make them successful.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I figured since the brands were quasi-pared before when the 300 and Magnum bits were used to sell rebadged Lancias...their fates would be intertwined? I'm just postulating as both brands are in the same boat in terms of lack of investment and brand direction.

It's up to what Stellantis allows Christine Feuell to do...she may want a full line up for Chrysler, but if they just allow her an EV reskinned Lancia and an aging Pacifica, that's all she can work with. I hope they give both heads of Chrysler and Lancia autonomy to fully resurrect both brands to make them successful.
Yes they are in the same lack of investment boat. However from the point of view of former products and sales in the US they are worlds apart.

Most Lancias and Alfas sold were economy cars.

The quickest Lancias are either low selling mid engine homologation specials barely suitable for on road duty or 4 cylinder turbo hot hatches. They also made a very small number of sedans with micro V8s that accomplished the exact same thing as the 4 cylinder turbos. The fastest Lancia list looks similar, except the rebadged Chrysler 300 shows up in 4th place.
Note well that almost everything on the quick list is from the '80s and '90s, Lancia has been in decline for the past 20 years.

Most noteworthy from a US perspective are the Thema 8.32 and turbo 16v (86-94) and Kappa 2.0T (98-00) that show up on both lists. The Delta Di T Jet (09-14) shows up low in both lists as well.

Those are the kinds of vehicles that could share a lot with Chrysler. If they make a block shaped Delta HF hot hatch that is for Europe, no overlap there for where Chrysler should be.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,420 Posts

I suspect the Lancia EV itself will be a reskinned something-or-other.

·
Registered
344 Posts
it looks like a car from the 80's because that's exactly what that picture is!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yes they are in the same lack of investment boat. However from the point of view of former products and sales in the US they are worlds apart.

Most Lancias and Alfas sold were economy cars.

The quickest Lancias are either low selling mid engine homologation specials barely suitable for on road duty or 4 cylinder turbo hot hatches. They also made a very small number of sedans with micro V8s that accomplished the exact same thing as the 4 cylinder turbos. The fastest Lancia list looks similar, except the rebadged Chrysler 300 shows up in 4th place.
Note well that almost everything on the quick list is from the '80s and '90s, Lancia has been in decline for the past 20 years.

Most noteworthy from a US perspective are the Thema 8.32 and turbo 16v (86-94) and Kappa 2.0T (98-00) that show up on both lists. The Delta Di T Jet (09-14) shows up low in both lists as well.

Those are the kinds of vehicles that could share a lot with Chrysler. If they make a block shaped Delta HF hot hatch that is for Europe, no overlap there for where Chrysler should be.
statistics don't say much if you do not know the history.

Lancia has been suffering from the mentioned lack of investment from well before the FCA years.

The last properly developed Lancias were the Lancia and Thema from the 80's. and they already shared what one could say was too much, with sister fiats. The replacement ìs that came in the 90's (Delta 2 and Kappa) were poorly designed, compromised and not particularly good. Investment money was simply too little and badly spent. But still managed to sell better than nothing. What followed that was along the same lines (Lybra, Delta 3, Musa, ) and even then sales were not obscenely low, regardless of looks.

The cars were good inside and to drive, though not lookers.

The lancia brands have many fans across Europe, if Stellantes makes more than a half-arsed effort to mek them good looking and to give them proper content, customers will come in th numbers.

I am rather disappointed, though, about the 2026 timeframe. 5 f...g years to develop a new develop such a key car for lancia seems ludicrous.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
724 Posts
I am rather disappointed, though, about the 2026 timeframe. 5 f...g years to develop a new develop such a key car for lancia seems ludicrous.
Sounds like it'll be on one of the new corporate chassis's, instead of being on a FCA chassis or PSA original chassis by that point.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Sounds like it'll be on one of the new corporate chassis's, instead of being on a FCA chassis or PSA original chassis by that point.
During the latest conference call Carlos Tavares basically said that STLA Medium is actually EMP2 fork while STLA Large is non else than Giorgio.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
During the latest conference call Carlos Tavares basically said that STLA Medium is actually EMP2 fork while STLA Large is non else than Giorgio.
If it were none else than Giorgio the chart wouldn't have shown it with a date in the future. It is obviously a Giorgio fork like STLA Medium is an EMP2 fork (v4). Which I have been saying since the chart came out the beginning of this year.

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If it were none else than Giorgio the chart wouldn't have shown it with a date in the future. It is obviously a Giorgio fork like STLA Medium is an EMP2 fork (v4). Which I have been saying since the chart came out the beginning of this year.
Giorgio could not be electrified and could not underpin the Grand Cherokee. It needed to be heavily modified (lots of $$$) to make it work for those applications. It will be more heavily modified to become STLA Large.

So, the original Giorgio was a business failure. and a loss of investment.

It is good to see Lancia getting actual vehicles with Lancia branding in mind rather than what it has received over the last 10 years.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Giorgio could not be electrified and could not underpin the Grand Cherokee. It needed to be heavily modified (lots of $$$) to make it work for those applications. It will be more heavily modified to become STLA Large.

It is good to see Lancia getting actual vehicles with Lancia branding in mind rather than what it has received over the last 10 years.
The Ypsilon definitely looks like a Ypsilon, and the Ypsilon is the best selling Lancia of all time. It truly is a typical Lancia. The problem is the rest of the lineup is missing, most importantly a compact sedan and hatch. The rally homologation cars were never really typical Lancias, just as the Viper wasn't a typical Dodge.

·
Jeepaholic
6,264 Posts

Giorgio couldn’t be electrified?? Surely the man with the grand “vision” for all things future could have foreseen that??

·
Registered
780 Posts
Giorgio couldn’t be electrified?? Surely the man with the grand “vision” for all things future could have foreseen that??
What? You kidding me??? All that money wasted on Giorgio, and the thing can't be electrified without even more money dumped into it? LOL
Giorgio...the platform that was gonna be the basis of everything...the platform of FCA's future, can't even be used for the future because it can't be electrified without serious investment. 🤣

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What? You kidding me??? All that money wasted on Giorgio, and the thing can't be electrified without even more money dumped into it? LOL
Giorgio...the platform that was gonna be the basis of everything...the platform of FCA's future, can't even be used for the future because it can't be electrified without serious investment. 🤣
Stellantis Dumps Billion-Dollar Alfa Romeo Giorgio Platform In Favour Of EV Future (forbes.com)

Allpar thread on the subject here: Stellantis Dumps Billion-Dollar Alfa Romeo Giorgio Platform In Favour Of EV Future | Allpar Forums

1 - 20 of 96 Posts