Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lancia Outselling Alfa Romeo In Europe

You read right. Lancia is outselling all Alfa Romeo vehicles in Europe.

To make it worse, Lancia only sells vehicles now in Italy and it's the super outdated and weirdly named, Ypsilon. That's it. Alfa has five models in nearly every country of the EU. You’d think what with all the investments FCA has made into Alfa it would surely outsell Lancia in the European Union? NOPE. In the first half of 2019, Alfa sold 27,702 vehicles. Lancia sold 34,700. Every model saw sales decreases all throughout Europe.

FCA has been spending bundles of money on Alfa, but sales are also down in the United States over last year. Wonder if that money would have been better spent elsewhere? Share your thoughts below.

Source Material

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Just saying but overall as stats this site seems to be way off. I know for a fact the audi and tesla sales are way off. That was enough for me not to read into this any further and not to give this site a click. Yes lancia outsells alfa but that doesn't mean the site isn't twisting things

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
The Alfa Romeo models are 3: Giulietta, Giulia, Stelvio. The MiTo went out of production in summer 2018. The 4C can be found in some markets, but only the limited versions Competizione and Italia, that if I am not worng are Euro 6 (built in 2018), not homologated Euro 6d-temp as required since end on 2018.
The total new vehicles registration first half 2019 were 29,336 (European Union + EFTA countries).

Jeep total new car registrations were 92,125 with Renegade, Compass, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited.

Lancia is sold, as previous post, only in Italy and with only one model. Registrations went up 27.4% YoY, they intercepted some of the customers that since last year purchased the Fiat Punto (that was a B segment car, but a little bit bigger).
Ypsilon is not a weird name ;-). It is just the name of a greek alphabet letters (the 20th) as were in the past Beta, Gamma, Delta, Epsilon, Eta, Zeta, Theta, Kappa, Lambda, ...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Sizewise it's rather a Chrysler 40. ;)

When you compare Alfa and Lancia sales, don't forget that the Ypsilon is much more affordable than any of the 3.5 current Alfas, tailor made for the Italian market and sold for under 10,000 €.

Alfas low sales are sad though. I think the lack of product (last intro: Stelvio in early 2017) sucks every momentum out of brand visibillity and trust for average Joe.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Italian sales weight is high for FCA compared to other european markets.

In first 6 months 2019 new cars registrations

Italy / European Union + EFTA countries total (share in %)

Lancia (Ypsilon) 34,684 / 34,782 (99.7%)
Jeep 47,073 / 92,125 (51.1 %)
Alfa Romeo 14,402 / 29,336 (49.1%)
Fiat 170,606 / 380,570 (44.8%)

·
Banned
1,295 Posts
Lancia Outselling Alfa Romeo In Europe

You read right. Lancia is outselling all Alfa Romeo vehicles in Europe.

To make it worse, Lancia only sells vehicles now in Italy and it's the super outdated and weirdly named, Ypsilon. That's it. Alfa has five models in nearly every country of the EU. You’d think what with all the investments FCA has made into Alfa it would surely outsell Lancia in the European Union? NOPE. In the first half of 2019, Alfa sold 27,702 vehicles. Lancia sold 34,700. Every model saw sales decreases all throughout Europe.

FCA has been spending bundles of money on Alfa, but sales are also down in the United States over last year. Wonder if that money would have been better spent elsewhere? Share your thoughts below.

Source Material
That Lancia looks like an old 200 and a compass had a love child:D

·
Registered
962 Posts
Can anyone provide a URL for accurate brand wide sales in Europe on a monthly/quarterly basis? Does FCA disclose Alfa region sales in their quarterly earnings releases?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
carsalesbase.com has figures for each brand, and their models

Two points to note. First, European practice is to track first registration, not deliveries to dealerships (the US metric), and second, the European sales channel runs on much smaller levels of inventory, with lots more cars bought as build-to-order: for premium brands, buying "off the lot" is rare.

·
10,409 Posts
The metric normally used in the US is total sales, including fleet. Not deliveries to dealers.

IHS-Polk collects registrations. But they lag 45-90 days, and they make that data extremely expensive to buy. Many states now don’t even allow registrations data to be sold any more, due to privacy concerns.

Reactions: KrisW

·
Registered
547 Posts
Fca keeps trying to stuff alfa down America's throat I still believe that all alfas could have been Chryslers and sold more much more. Alfa in America will always be niche period.

·
10,409 Posts
Unfortunately, knowing full well how prone its vehicles are to coming back for warranty work, FCA is unlikely to lengthen standard warranty coverage any time soon.

·
Super Moderator
6,895 Posts
A more realistic idea would be to allow CDJR dealers to service Alfa vehicles, greatly expanding the availability of service centers.

Of course, CDJR service centers aren’t even comparable to Audi or most other luxury brands so this would have to coincide with an effort to increase customer satisfaction at dealerships.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Fca keeps trying to stuff alfa down America's throat I still believe that all alfas could have been Chryslers and sold more much more. Alfa in America will always be niche period.
FCA knows and wants alfa to be a niche product here, that's how they make their money. There whole European luxury class is a niche class of it's own. Having these cars as a chrysler would probably in fact kill Chrysler here in states once and for all for a number of reasons. The first being price and second being reliability finally coming back to end their life

·
10,409 Posts
While you may be right, but I think they wanted a little bigger piece of the niche.

The words spit and polish aren't associated with FCA dealers.
Agreed. There’s niche and then there’s niche.

Mercedes, BMW and Lexus each sells 300,000+ units/year. I wouldn’t call that niche anymore when Chrysler is lined up to sell half as many, and Fiat + Alfa Romeo will barely sell 30,000 units combined.

Or to put it differently: Lexus alone will sell as many units as Chrysler, Alfa Romeo and Fiat put together. And no one can accuse Lexus of selling low-margin vehicles.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I own a Chrysler a Benz and volvo in my household my next 2 purchases are probably a ram and another 300 if it gets a redesign in the next 3 years. In the next 5 years I'll replace my sclass with another sclass and find a new beater to replace the volvo. I don't care if I could get 30 percent off of Msrp I would never own or recommend a fiat or alfa it's that niche for alot of people.

The niche-ness of Alfa of Alfa is not good and it's not getting better nor will I believe it ever will.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Can anyone provide a URL for accurate brand wide sales in Europe on a monthly/quarterly basis? Does FCA disclose Alfa region sales in their quarterly earnings releases?
In Europe the data You have are the "new cars" registrations (European Union M1 vehicles) that are sourced by the country institutions that are charged of cars registrations. So no data from manufacturers themselves.

The are associations that collect the data from each country and monthly the statistics.

Data can be found, for example, at European Automobile Manufacturers' Association website acea.be

Light commercial vehicles are accounted in other statistics and is more difficult to find monthly data by manufacturer.

Data can also be found by country, in which can be found more data per segment, per sale chanel, ... for example unrae.it (Italy), ccfa.fr (France) , ...

1 - 20 of 179 Posts