Allpar Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,715 Posts
they are the last rear wheel drive Mopar to have the all-cast iron engine block and heads. the trucks got aluminum heads when they switched to Magnum engines.
Must be really heavy aluminum then. Because the couple of Magnum engines I've had apart, the heads weighted enough to be iron. Seriously, they are not aluminum. They are iron.

·
Favors Fine Fifth Avenues
7,502 Posts
i stand corrected. what makes the 318 a 'magnum' then? the only other thing i can tell is serpentine belts and fuel injection, but 318s in their older versions also had a TBI. i could have sworn they had aluminum something.

·
Super Moderator
37,715 Posts
Aluminum intake, redesigned heads, multiport fuel injection (instead of TBI) and vastly increased power output differ between the Magnum and LA engine.

·
Favors Fine Fifth Avenues
7,502 Posts
OK aluminum intake. now i remember. i knew something was aluminum. i must have had the 2.2L 4 cyl in my mind, they had aluminum heads and cast iron block. i'm a little rusty lately.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Chrysler has a tech bulletin on the front end of the M-bodies trio for not being able to set enough positive camber during an alignment. If I remember right, it consisted of new upper control arm shafts that were offset from the center on each end, thus bringing the control arm out farther.

I think it gave about an extra 1.5 to 2 degrees positive over the original so you had enough leeway to set caster, then camber. The Rare Parts part number is 15177

Dont know if the dealer still has them available or not. I've put a few in back in the early '80s, and it made a wonderful difference in the way the car drove. :D

·
Super Moderator
37,715 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I drive a 86 Fifth Ave and live in St. Louis and I'm hardly an old man.... Lol. I got mine from a old lady who had it garaged with 36k miles on it. It now has 60k and I've haven't had any of the above problems yet.....

·
Super Moderator
21,624 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Not all these vehicles had the same timing chain, rear axle or suspension/frame problems, only if the front end alignment couldn't meet proper specs. Just something to watch for. They were fairly nice, comfortable cars.
Many saw public safety-duty.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts