Allpar Forums banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts
JRS200x said:
Out of curiosity, have any of our insiders heard about this engine becoming available through MOPAR as a crate engine or something similar? Got to imagine it would be a pretty damn popular swap for the Wrangler if it were...
It will be popular, but I'd think they will be hard pressed to keep up with demand for Jeeps and Rams, so it's going to be several years before they have production at a level to build crate motors....and by then they should be smart enough to offer it in the next Wrangler.
;)

The GM "E-ROD" 6.2L emissions-compliant crate engine is $9,000 with just a charcoal canister and a set of cats. Take an already more expensive to make diesel engine, and tack on a DPF and SCR system, and you would easily be looking at $15,000 for a "crate" VM 3.0.

AutoTechnician said:
The GM "E-ROD" 6.2L emissions-compliant crate engine is $9,000 with just a charcoal canister and a set of cats. Take an already more expensive to make diesel engine, and tack on a DPF and SCR system, and you would easily be looking at $15,000 for a "crate" VM 3.0.
Not to mention that the torque level would be much higher than any current Wrangler engine. Would you have to replace the transmission too?

HotCarNut said:
Not to mention that the torque level would be much higher than any current Wrangler engine. Would you have to replace the transmission too?
It depends upon what year. The 42RE behind the 3.8, can't survive behind the 3.0, the 545 and 645 can, as they are used with the Hemi.
The future Wrangler 8 speed will also be stout enough.

MoparNorm said:
It depends upon what year. The 42RE behind the 3.8, can't survive behind the 3.0, the 545 and 645 can, as they are used with the Hemi.
The future Wrangler 8 speed will also be stout enough.
good to know...I take it the rest of the driveline would then be stout enough as well: driveshaft, differentials, etc? I know people do aftermarket HEMI swaps but I have no idea what all goes into that. Seems like the driveline is fairly oversized in the Wrangler for durability so I wouldn't think you have to do too much to swap in the 3.0.

HotCarNut said:
good to know...I take it the rest of the driveline would then be stout enough as well: driveshaft, differentials, etc? I know people do aftermarket HEMI swaps but I have no idea what all goes into that. Seems like the driveline is fairly oversized in the Wrangler for durability so I wouldn't think you have to do too much to swap in the 3.0.
I'm one of the "people" who do those Hemi swaps ;)
The driveline and differentials in the Dana 44 equipped Wranglers are strong enough. The torque of the 3.0 diesel is just a few foot lbs higher than the Hemi approx. 420 vs 406.
What IS complicated is the electronics. It requires a different ECU to interface with the engine/trans AND the vehicle. Having mismatched components in areas that are nor tunable can cause severe drivability, emission and mpg issues.
Even though we use Chrysler and Dodge OEM parts to convert the Hemi into the Wrangler, it responds and smogs as a Grand Cherokee, until the codes are rewritten.
We can get them to pass as new in any state but CA and CA after 80,000 miles are on the chassis.

JRS200x said:
Out of curiosity, have any of our insiders heard about this engine becoming available through MOPAR as a crate engine or something similar? Got to imagine it would be a pretty damn popular swap for the Wrangler if it were...
Probably wishful thinking at best... but I'm not an insider.

You could potentially get something from the aftermarket though... Banks has been messing with a version of the 3.0VM for a number of years... http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/1208dp_banks_vm_motori_630t_v6_diesel_engine/

MoparNorm said:
I'm one of the "people" who do those Hemi swaps ;)
The driveline and differentials in the Dana 44 equipped Wranglers are strong enough. The torque of the 3.0 diesel is just a few foot lbs higher than the Hemi approx. 420 vs 406.
What IS complicated is the electronics. It requires a different ECU to interface with the engine/trans AND the vehicle. Having mismatched components in areas that are nor tunable can cause severe drivability, emission and mpg issues.
Even though we use Chrysler and Dodge OEM parts to convert the Hemi into the Wrangler, it responds and smogs as a Grand Cherokee, until the codes are rewritten.
We can get them to pass as new in any state but CA and CA after 80,000 miles are on the chassis.
Is there any word on whether the VM and 6-speed combo will meet all the regs? I'm thinking that it the electronic issue should be easy to solve as they sold it overseas, so there should be an electronics package available OEM to mate the engine and transmission.

HotCarNut said:
Is there any word on whether the VM and 6-speed combo will meet all the regs? I'm thinking that it the electronic issue should be easy to solve as they sold it overseas, so there should be an electronics package available OEM to mate the engine and transmission.
Ya know, I was so excited to see the VM being offered, I didn't pay attention to to transmission, but yeah, the engine management system and a programmable transmission is likely key to keeping the engine running as clean as possible.

So....it's that time of the quarter to ask if the GC diesel has been delayed again.

Anybody got any news on an official build-date?

JRS200x said:
When will then be now? Soon.
:frusty:

Patience is a virtue I never possessed as a kid and have rarely found as an adult!

Longtimejeep said:
Launch as of now... 6/26.
Is it still 6/26?
HotCarNut said:
She's had 2 GMC Acadias. Before that was a Jeep Liberty. I think she understands the size difference just fine. The issue is that she likes the Jeep better, in part because of the diesel engine and the fuel economy. Without the diesel, I don't know that she would make the tradeoffs in space vs the GMC Acadia Denali.
So what did you do? It's 6/14 and are you waiting or did you buy the GMC?

JRS200x said:
When will then be now? Soon.
:thumbsup:
When I crammed the skinny pedal on my old diesel: "What have I done?! My brains are going into my feet!"

Reactions: JRS200x
66coronet said:
Is it still 6/26?

So what did you do? It's 6/14 and are you waiting or did you buy the GMC?
For the moment waiting...but patience is not a virtue I possess in large quantities. Jeep can partly thank my travel schedule as I've been flying a ton and leaving the MINI parked at the airport. My wife's been driving my 300S and seems to be OK with that deal for now.
oh2o said:
Pushed back again, now August/September.
:facepalm:

Dumb question, but what exactly is delaying the US launch? Is it availability of the motor?

How does the announcement of the 2014 Ram launching with the diesel affect the Grand Cherokee (if at all)?

HotCarNut said:
How does the announcement of the 2014 Ram launching with the diesel affect the Grand Cherokee (if at all)?
Hard to say. If the engines are identical, it means the engine isn't the hold up. (3.6 in the Wrangler is quite a bit different from other Pentastars)
I haven't heard if the delay is packaging issues, or...?

41 - 60 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.