Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '75 duster that I restored, and when it experiences rain (admittedly very rarely) the carpet gets wet in the front seat footwells. The firewall does not seem to be wet, only the footwells, and there seems to be a little water on the inside front edge of the doors. I have replaced the windshield gasket, the door gasket, the window gasket, and all the grommets and plugs are in place on the firewall. I also re-sealed the new gasket with silicone winshield adhesive to make sure it is not the windshield seal.

It almost seems like it may be coming in around the front edge of the door somehow, but I am not sure how, as the door seals are new and seem to seal well.

Any ideas? Are there areas on these cars that are prone to this problem?

The car hardly ever sees rain, but I plan on taking it to the Mopar Nats this summer; I don't want my new carpet ruined if it rains during the trip. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Windsheild wiper pivot shaft seals.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It is either the windshield wiper seals, or there is rust through in the fresh air intake under the cowl area. Check around the fresh air box on the drivers side for wetness.

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
Windshield wipers is my guess, almost every time it is. Everything seems dry, but they leak. There is a soft foam rubber gasket that squishes between the body and the wiper shaft and they tend to harden, about half inch tall, and a white foam rubber gasket between the body and wiper body held on with 2 half inch nuts. Pain to get to, but they go directly inside the car. The cold air box tend to leak only on the passenger side, leaves are the biggest culprit, they plug the drain at the sides of the cowl, may expalin the water on the door sill.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts