Allpar Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,249 Posts
I'll add a couple of thoughts since I perfomred a similar modification to a 1977 Cordoba years ago. Back then, I used the Mopar Performance kit. It took some tuning as the advance was more than the stock 400 engine wanted. Know what I know now, I could have used a stock distributor and wiring from a junkyard non-Lean Burn car but that is harder to do now. These are the Mopar kit instructions and the wiring is detailed there.
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/elecignconv.pdf
The factory carb is a spread bore design. I used a Holley spreadbore that was designed specifically to replace the Thermoquad that came on these cars. I wish I'd looked instead to find a pre-Lean Burn Thermoquad. Of course, if you convert to a square bore (either by manifold swap or an adapter) you have a much greater carb choice.

Last thing is the car has terrible gearing in it. Probably 2.4 gears so it will still be slow and sluggish even after the conversion though it may be peppier than it used to be, The car really needs a 2.9 or 3.2 gear set in the rear to wake it up since it's heavy.

·
Super Moderator
40,249 Posts
Yes, that would work. You can make the carb on there work, but that's a lot more hassle than replacing it in my opinion. The earlier 400 Thermoquad is probably tuned for a little more stout engine than yours but I'd bet it will fine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.